• BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    hi all -
    I might do some rearranging of my humble handgun collection. If that happens, it may open a spot for a medium-sized (yet concealable!) semi-auto... likely in 9mm flavor, but perhaps in .45.

I already have and will be keeping a Shield in 9mm, so this other gun won't be my main ccw, but I like the option of a higher cap pistol for certain carry situations.

I'm a convert to CZ and like them so far, and i like hammer-fired guns. the P-01 and the PCR seem to be perfect. Any reason NOT to get one?

I have not had much time with the CZ P-01, but it runs even close to as well as my 75s do there is no way I can talk you out of one!

Good luck!

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    I’m pretty set on a P-01 Omega as well. This will be my first handgun, so a little flexibility between trying out different styles of carry (cocked and locked, DA decock, etc) will be nice features to have.

The only questions is where I can find somewhere that actually has any to sell!

The P01 omega's come out in a big batch about once a year. You have to act fast when you see one for sale. There have been maybe 2 or three that I've seen on the local used market over the last two or three years, and I bought one of those. I've scoured 3 1500's and a few other smaller gun shows and could generally come up with a pcr, but never found a p01 omega. I think the shape and pull of the omega trigger just feels right and gets better with time.

ru44mag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013
    I have a PCR and a 75 compact. Basically the same other than the PCR has the decocker and is noticeably lighter weight. I had no desire for the rail. Both are excellent pistols that feel great in the hand. My fingers are a little short, so if I shoot it DA the trigger does seem to be a bit of a reach. Other than that they are quite awesome. Lots of magazine options as well. If you buy, you must check out Greg Cote.

crispy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 29, 2010
    Noblesville
    I have a PCR and a 75 compact. Basically the same other than the PCR has the decocker and is noticeably lighter weight. I had no desire for the rail. Both are excellent pistols that feel great in the hand. My fingers are a little short, so if I shoot it DA the trigger does seem to be a bit of a reach. Other than that they are quite awesome. Lots of magazine options as well. If you buy, you must check out Greg Cote.

Thinner grips help with that.

I put the VZ G10 grips on it for just that reason.

ru44mag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013
    Thinner grips help with that.

I put the VZ G10 grips on it for just that reason.

I put some really nice wooden grips on the PCR and put the rubber PCR grips on the Compact. The wooden grips seem thinner. Maybe sometime I can check out your VZ G10's. I get down to Noblesville somewhat regular. I have looked at them in the past. I little pricey. Maybe one day I will completely Canjunize one and put on some better sights. Now that I think about it, I shot T-Dogg's P-01 with VZ grips. It was really nice.

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    Glad to see so much love for CZs -- not surprising on this forum. I'll update OP to reflect the following info:

I should have added that I already have a 75 Shadow (short dust cover) that I love.

After digging around, I can say that there are more differences than just the rail.
    PCR has loaded chamber indicator, different sight cuts, different trigger. - not ambi
    P-01 has rail, typical CZ sight cuts - not ambi
    P-01 Omega has rail, omega internals + trigger, ambi decock/safety

I'm a lefty so I prefer, but don't have to have, ambi controls.
    As of now I'm leaning towards the P-01 since it will be only occasionally carried, but I like a light on my home defense guns (this would fit that role and be in that rotation)

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Sorry to see that the OP didn't get the support he needed. But, it's just hard to steer someone away from a P01. Now, if he were talking about adding a third P01, I might find some justification for not buying it. Actually, I can't even really say that. They are simply great pistols and are definitely worth adding to a collection, but just be warned that you could find yourself asking about getting a third one before too long. Don't ask here though, as you won't get many that would steer you away from a P01, even if you already had two of them.

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    The sight cuts on the PCR are standard 75/P01 sights, they're just shaped differently and have that flat cut into the slide

Using TFO sights or TFX Pros it covered over that flat spot

MrWizard

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2018
    Indianapolis
    The P01 omega's come out in a big batch about once a year. You have to act fast when you see one for sale. There have been maybe 2 or three that I've seen on the local used market over the last two or three years, and I bought one of those. I've scoured 3 1500's and a few other smaller gun shows and could generally come up with a pcr, but never found a p01 omega. I think the shape and pull of the omega trigger just feels right and gets better with time.

Good to know, thanks!

Drew50

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 23, 2016
    Schererville
    Own both p01 and PCR and the trigger on the PCR was/is a lot smoother and feels a few pounds lighter. Might just be mine but every p01 I’ve fondled felt the same. The only PCR ive touched is the one I own so it’s anecdotal at best.

HenryWallace

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 7, 2013
    Fort Wayne
    You shouldn't buy a PCR because I want one and that will mean that there would be one less on the market.
    In all seriousness the PCR fits all of the criteria I'm looking for in a EDC. I'm one CZ into a love affair with all CZs.

cmamath13

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Mar 3, 2013
    Greenwood
    Don't forget the PCR has an alloy frame, so it is lighter.

Also, the mag baseplates can be easily swapped out for the rubber ones with a little visit to CZ 75B, CZ 85, CZ 75 COMPACT RUBBER MAG BASE PAD 273199000850 [CZ 75 BASE PAD 273199000850] - $8.95 : Greg Cote, LLC

I got mine at the Indiana Gun Club. They always seem to have a good inventory of CZs.

The P-01 has an alloy frame too. That being said, it has a rail. The PCR is 27.5 oz and the P-01 is 28.1 oz.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I'm always going back and forth on the weight thing with carry guns. My P01 is an absolutely sweet shooter and can be carried all day long with little notice that it's there. My 99021 (Same as the P01 but with a steel frame and safety) is chunky and I do feel it there when I carry it, but it's even sweeter shooting than the P01. Sometimes I favor light, sweet P01 carry and other times, that chunky 99021 just feels right.

I really should pick up the 99041 that is in the case at The Outdoorsman before the dang things dry up. The 99041 is the same as the 99021 except for actually saying P01 in the roll mark.

cmamath13

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Mar 3, 2013
    Greenwood
    I'm always going back and forth on the weight thing with carry guns. My P01 is an absolutely sweet shooter and can be carried all day long with little notice that it's there. My 99021 (Same as the P01 but with a steel frame and safety) is chunky and I do feel it there when I carry it, but it's even sweeter shooting than the P01. Sometimes I favor light, sweet P01 carry and other times, that chunky 99021 just feels right.

I really should pick up the 99041 that is in the case at The Outdoorsman before the dang things dry up. The 99041 is the same as the 99021 except for actually saying P01 in the roll mark.

I was wrong. My apologies. Does CZ still offer the steel frame P-01? Is there a difference in name or are they both considered P-01?

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    I was wrong. My apologies. Does CZ still offer the steel frame P-01? Is there a difference in name or are they both considered P-01?

They're not standard offerings just rare/limited imports. The 75 Compact is still steel frame and standard production.

There's only been 1 steel frame "P-01" that I know of, it's the 99041, says P-01 on the slide and has low profile ambi safety (which is strange for a P-01). A couple years ago when there were "SP-01 Compacts" I can't recall if they were stamped P-01 or 75 D Compact

Usually steel frame "P-01"s are stamped 75 D Compact.......then again too, there are regular P-01s that are stamped 75D Compact as well so it's kinda an oddity you have to recognize

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    IIRC (and I'm too lazy to go look right now), my 99021 aka 'SP01 Compact' just has 75B Compact on the slide. I think CZ uses whatever slides they have available that fit whatever frames need moved at times. The 40P is a good example of that. What do you do with an excess number of 40B slides? Mate them to a P06 frame and call it a 40P.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    The P-01 has an alloy frame too. That being said, it has a rail. The PCR is 27.5 oz and the P-01 is 28.1 oz.

To me, the P01 will always be the aluminum framed decocker model you are describing. I'm not a fan of the times when CZ gets muddled in it's model names to cover an excess of parts one way or another. Just seems wrong to have called the 99041 steel framed safety equipped compact a P01. Realistically, this should be called the SP01 Compact, not P01. But, that's just me.

Having muddled the naming, we will now have to be more specific when describing a pistol. Can't just say that I'm selling a P01 (I'm not BTW) but will instead have to say that I'm selling my aluminum framed decocker P01 (No, I'm still not selling it).

Top Bottom