• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    I've owned real H&Ks, never wanted a clone. Great guns.
    I've owned real FALs both inch and metric. Great guns.

I've never owned a SCAR but I love anything FN and wish I had one. Price will only go up.

Ditch the Chick - Keep the Gun.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    I know a feller who works at Crane and the Scar is his least favorite, most trouble prone, fall apart at the worst possible moment, problem child. Ditch the scar. Consult the new wife on your next purchase. She will help you get some perspective on what is important.

This post is NOT purple on purpose.

If you and your wife are not asking each other's advice about major purchases, you're only using half your brain.

Tula47

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Jun 28, 2013
    Knox Co.
    I owe a PTR-91...

0ff758f7-9018-42d9-8a5b-fa29c926273f_zpsf6f3bd97.jpg

and a FN/FAL...

IMG_0410_zps5hqpte40.jpg

And recently I gifted my CETME to my nephew...he needed a .308 MBR in his collection. Of the three the FAL is the most accurate, of course the 8 1/2 inch barrel on the PTR isn't set up for long range accuracy...waiting for my SBR stamp to get here. All three however are equally reliable, no failures in any of them once I corrected a headspace issue in the CETME. They all run flawlessly. Of course if you reload the HK patterns do flute the brass and the FAL adds a big dent...that is if you can find the brass...all three throw it far away. The FAL is a heavy rifle but so is the PTR. I like both platform quite well but I like the FAL hold open after the last round but prefer the HK charging bolt system better. The PTR is easier to scope as well and HK mags are dirt cheap right now.

I would probably go with the PTR.

I found a model that Atlantic carries with the wide H&K style forgrip that I like and it has a rail mounted and I think that might be the one I go with

Tula47

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Jun 28, 2013
    Knox Co.
    This is INGO, not INWED. Buy two more rifles and dump the chick who wants a big wedding. Chicks who like guns are 10x's better.

She loves the SCAR and would actually like me to keep it, but the money could be used elsewhere. She bought me another 36 gun safe for Christmas so that I would have room for my growing collection

Tula47

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Jun 28, 2013
    Knox Co.
    Along the lines with a few others here. I would say if the cost of FN Scar makes or breaks your bank account with a wedding, I believe you need to rethink what and how your your financial situation is..
    And I keep reading..She...She ..She.. It should be a compromise.. We..we...we

And I thought the Brides daddy was supposed to pay for the wedding. ?
    Times change I guess.

My financial situation is actually great in my opinion, graduating with my second degree with 0 student loans, my truck is paid for, I have no debt (renting at the moment until I relocate for work). I just enjoy paying cash for things. I can buy another SCAR. I only get one wedding and I very rarely get to go over seas and I enjoy traveling. $2500 can get me another 4 to 6 days over there

Tula47

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Jun 28, 2013
    Knox Co.
    Surprise to me, she is ordering me a DSA RPD from Atlantic for a wedding present, which is what I was going to buy instead of the SCAR in the first place. She was bummed I was thinking about selling it.

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    Surprise to me, she is ordering me a DSA RPD from Atlantic for a wedding present, which is what I was going to buy instead of the SCAR in the first place. She was bummed I was thinking about selling it.

Well if that ain't a trap, then I don't know what one is. :):

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    CETME pros:
    I only have Century builds, but also only stainless cast receivers. Only problems have been with the sights and scary-looking brass. Relatively accurate, cheap mags, practically indestructible, relatively mild recoil. Still heavy, aftermarket limited for upgrades. Never owned a PTR, but keep hearing good things about them.

FAL pros:
    Last round BHO, longer barrel for more accuracy (theoretically), integral bipod possible, DSA mags not too expensive, adjustable gas. Long and heavy.

Another possibility:
    RFB. Well balanced, short enough to use in a vehicle, accurate enough, sturdy, fully ambi, uses FAL mags, easy on brass. Somewhat harder to open up, still heavy but doesn't feel like it. Usually more expensive than the above due to slow production.

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    She bought me another 36 gun safe for Christmas so that I would have room for my growing collection

OK I take back everything I said. Screw the rifle, marry this woman, give her the wedding of her dreams and PM me the name and number of her sister.

Tula47

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Jun 28, 2013
    Knox Co.
    Well if that ain't a trap, then I don't know what one is. :):

I had jokenly said that "if you get a ring, I get this" several months ago and she remembered. Showed me this morning that she had it pulled up. I have to make room for it first. The second safe she got me for Christmas is already full. So I'll probably ditch the SCAR and a couple nagants for the space and get that an another .308 rifle

Tula47

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Jun 28, 2013
    Knox Co.
    CETME pros:
    I only have Century builds, but also only stainless cast receivers. Only problems have been with the sights and scary-looking brass. Relatively accurate, cheap mags, practically indestructible, relatively mild recoil. Still heavy, aftermarket limited for upgrades. Never owned a PTR, but keep hearing good things about them.

FAL pros:
    Last round BHO, longer barrel for more accuracy (theoretically), integral bipod possible, DSA mags not too expensive, adjustable gas. Long and heavy.

Another possibility:
    RFB. Well balanced, short enough to use in a vehicle, accurate enough, sturdy, fully ambi, uses FAL mags, easy on brass. Somewhat harder to open up, still heavy but doesn't feel like it. Usually more expensive than the above due to slow production.

I didn't like the feeling of the RFB. It wasn't like the STG556 I used to have and it was the only style bullpup I liked

Tula47

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Jun 28, 2013
    Knox Co.
    OK I take back everything I said. Screw the rifle, marry this woman, give her the wedding of her dreams and PM me the name and number of her sister.

Don't jump to conclusions lol, she still told me to keep the SCAR. Im the one thinking about switching, not her

Top Bottom