• ...and so much more!
  • doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Well, we did it. We cut the cable. I'm sending AT&T all their crap on Monday.

We made a one-time layout of about $350 for an antenna, a Roku, a Tablo DVR, and a hard drive. Now the only cost for TV will be $16 a month for Philo, a streaming service that offers about 45 cable channels. I also signed up for Pluto TV, which is free and has lots of free movies (with commercials) and some TV stations. Landline and internet will still be with AT&T for $57 a month.

We're down to $73 a month for TV, internet, and landline and didn't give up much.

Be careful when you drop ATT about the equipment.
    When I left ATT years ago I was warned by the shipper (don't remember which vendor I used), they said to make sure to keep my receipt b/c many people said ATT claimed that they hadn't shipped it back and charged them on their account.
    I also found out that the shipper simply threw away some (or all, not remember) of the equipment b/c they really didn't want it back anyway.

I had Comcast for yrs. then had to go back to ATT when I moved.

Planning on going to Sling with one of their packages: don't need sports, but HGTV, Hallmark, and some nature/documentary channels when when ATT raises everything too much, again.

My son (34) has never had cable, just the internet (does alot of gaming online), and my daughter (husband a cmp geek) cut their cable yrs. ago and had various vendors for channels/movies.

Ziggidy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 7, 2018
    Ziggidyville
    I have OTA with DVR+ and Roku. The difficulty you will have is not with any setup but with changing routines, I tried for years to "guide" my parents with newer technology. Never really worked. When we dropped cable, we had to give up some channels (i.e. Food Network) but over a short time, we stopped missing it.

I'd be interested in what you final configuration will be. Good luck!

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area

easy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 11, 2010
    SEOK
    OK, so, all these streaming devices require wi-fi and sufficient bandwidth, correct? Cuz out here in the boonies there is no cable, the local phone company doesn't serve up tv, and the only way for me to get wi-fi is through dish.net.

Suggestions? Other than moving closer to a town.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    OK, so, all these streaming devices require wi-fi and sufficient bandwidth, correct? Cuz out here in the boonies there is no cable, the local phone company doesn't serve up tv, and the only way for me to get wi-fi is through dish.net.

Redbox. :):

Sorry, you exchanged the perils of city life with the benefits of the 21st century.

Though if you have good cellular signal and dont abuse it, you can possibly look at a mobile data service.

https://get.straighttalk.com/hotspot/

(or similar)

Edit: when I could only get 5mbit/s DSL I was able to make it work on Netflix, etc by configuring the account to only stream in Standard Definition to save on bandwidth. So it can be done with capped plans like this successfully.

AngryRooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Outside the coup

Look for a place that does wireless LOS. Where are you?

Top Bottom