• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    So, my daughter is showing a lot of interest in shooting, and really enjoys her .22LR Cricket. That has me considering adding a .22 pistol to the collection so she can shoot it in the future. Which of course has me thinking about doing something suppressed for both the advantages in sound, as well as for an excuse to get another can.

I currently have a YHM .30 SS can and use it on my AR's. Clearly that would be much bigger and heavier than what you'd want to try to mount on a .22 pistol. So my brain is mulling over a few thoughts.

1) Go with a dedicated .22LR can for a pistol, and perhaps even use that as a reason to build a dedicated suppress .22 rifle for general fun for both my daughter and me.

2) Could I go with a 9mm pistol can and use that with decent results on a .22, similar to how I use my .30 cal rifle can on .223? Or is that just a lot more added weight and not really much gain in sound suppression due to the larger diameter of the baffles? If I went with a 9mm can that opens up some options for a few of my 9mm pistols, and could give me an excuse for a 9mm short upper for my SBR lower.

Both this NFA stuff can be a sickness. :rockwoot:

bigcraig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indy
    Rimfire is where you want a dedicated can. I also suggest that you get two rimfire suppressors, one for pistol use and one for rifle use. I prefer a higher volume suppressor for rifle use.

I also do not recommend running .22lr thru your 9mm can, unless you can take it apart and clean it. User serviceable cans for rimfire is a HUGE plus and worth the extra expense.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    I wouldn't think 22 would suppress very well running through a 9mm can. I have not tried it though. How about building your own take apart 5.56mm / .223 can and also use it on the .22LR? SDTactical now has a small "B" body Ti threaded solvent trap kit. Strong enough for the AR, light enough for a 22LR pistol or rifle. B-TUBE ITEMS

I have an approved tax stamp to build my own form 1 .22 suppressor. I'm using "C" sized parts on mine but can't figure out how to make it take apart though. I'd have to somehow turn down the freeze plugs to drop through the tube. That's a lot of work for just hand tools.

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    Good input so far. Im definitely weighing the make vs buy decision. Sounds like a dedicated .22 can is likely the best option. Been a few years since my last can. What are NFA leadtimes these days? If I act now maybe id have something by Christmas?

jd4320t

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 20, 2009
    South Putnam County
    My HTA Guardian 9 was fun on my GSG1911 22. It worked great and didn't seem too heavy to me. It was a little heavy for the kids. Now that I have a dedicated 22 suppressor I see the big difference.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    The form 1 (build it yourself) efile trusts are running ~90 days. Paper form 4 trusts are 4-6 months. I haven't done a personal form 4 transfer for a couple years now but my last two took ~9 months.

You won't really save much $ (if any) by building it yourself but it sure is a fun project.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    Rimfire is where you want a dedicated can.

I also do not recommend running .22lr thru your 9mm can, unless you can take it apart and clean it. User serviceable cans for rimfire is a HUGE plus and worth the extra expense.

big +1 to all this.

The form 1 (build it yourself) efile trusts are running ~90 days. Paper form 4 trusts are 4-6 months. I haven't done a personal form 4 transfer for a couple years now but my last two took ~9 months.

I just got an email from my class-3 dude and my individual (non-trust) Form 4 for my spectre-II just arrived yesterday. about 3 months! :) I didn't expect it so quick.... I don't have anything to mount it on!!

-rvb

chef1231

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Apr 23, 2014
    NWI
    22 cans are very cheap. I have a warlock2 and with the stamp I was still around 500. I have another 22 sparrow catching my eye now too

wsenefeld

Master
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Boone Co.
    If you've never heard a .22 can on a .22 host, a 9mm can won't sound too bad. If you don't know what you're missing you'll be fine. There is a pretty noticeable difference and once you hear that difference, you won't want to go back.

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    If you've never heard a .22 can on a .22 host, a 9mm can won't sound too bad. If you don't know what you're missing you'll be fine. There is a pretty noticeable difference and once you hear that difference, you won't want to go back.

That's the thing, I have heard a dedicated .22 can. I made an intentional compromise with my .30 cal can knowing that it would work find on both .30 and .22 centerfire rounds, and wondered how much "compromise" there was with a 9mm vs. .22.

Sounds like I need to start doing a little shopping around.

wsenefeld

Master
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Boone Co.
    That's the thing, I have heard a dedicated .22 can. I made an intentional compromise with my .30 cal can knowing that it would work find on both .30 and .22 centerfire rounds, and wondered how much "compromise" there was with a 9mm vs. .22.

Sounds like I need to start doing a little shopping around.

I've done the same. I have one rifle can that is direct thread so I intentionally got it in 5.56. My two QD cans are in .30 cal for the ability to go back and forth. The difference is greater between 9 vs 22 on a 22 than it is on 30 vs 5.56 on a 5.56. Might be hard to follow but I think you know what I mean.

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    I've done the same. I have one rifle can that is direct thread so I intentionally got it in 5.56. My two QD cans are in .30 cal for the ability to go back and forth. The difference is greater between 9 vs 22 on a 22 than it is on 30 vs 5.56 on a 5.56. Might be hard to follow but I think you know what I mean.

Yep, know exactly what you mean. I'm probably going to stop in at the local shop tomorrow (need to get a few things anyway) and see what is available.

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    Stopped by my local dealer today while out and about, and see he has a really good deal on a Huntertown Guardian. Think I'm going to go that way...even though building might be more fun, the $$ outlay for this plus a stamp would be pretty tough to beat.

Beowulf

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    Brownsburg
    Stopped by my local dealer today while out and about, and see he has a really good deal on a Huntertown Guardian. Think I'm going to go that way...even though building might be more fun, the $$ outlay for this plus a stamp would be pretty tough to beat.

Honestly, I would recommend against a Guardian. I have 3 HTA cans, including a Guardian 22 SS which I let the dealer talk me into (I was going to get the Sparrow). I'm not super impressed with how it sounds. With that, on top of the games they played with the ever changing minimum barrel length on my Kestrel 556 (7", no wait 10", just kidding 11.5") and poor customer service, I'd take my money elsewhere.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    nad63 & I went to MCFG today to zero some rifles and I shot my HOP22. I was pretty impressed. :):

wsenefeld

Master
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Boone Co.
    Honestly, I would recommend against a Guardian. I have 3 HTA cans, including a Guardian 22 SS which I let the dealer talk me into (I was going to get the Sparrow). I'm not super impressed with how it sounds. With that, on top of the games they played with the ever changing minimum barrel length on my Kestrel 556 (7", no wait 10", just kidding 11.5") and poor customer service, I'd take my money elsewhere.

This. If a dealer would recommend a Huntertown can, that'd be the last time I purchased a suppressor from said dealer.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    It's too bad HTA seems to be getting so bad. I got my Guardian a couple of years ago and it has been great. I wonder where they went wrong.

Top Bottom