• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Your Avatar says Indy and you posit that "If you ever come to visit Normandy". A non sequitur to be sure.

I live both in France (Normandy) and in the US (Indy). :)
    Im a Norman native that's why I would be happy to be anyone's guide in the region.

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Nam vets are cool.

Not so quick there. I am a Vietnam Era Veteran but I never saw anything but three stories underground at Omaha Nebraska. LOL

I had a WWII veteran put it in perspective for me once. He asked me if I volunteered. I did. He said that I had no real choice where the military sent me and that was true so I did not feel as bad about not ever going in country, not that I ever really wanted to. A lot of mixed emotions there.

Constructionist

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    My grandfather was crew chief on a P38 Lightning, 9th photo recon unit, CBI theater. He died at 90 in February and to that last day could tell me every part, pressure, gauge, setting, nut, and bolt on that airplane. Glad I have his memorabilia and photos. And a lifetime of memories and stories.

Worked a cvs in Martinsville a while back and met a Korean War veteran. We got to talking about the Garands that won't be brought home from over there this year (thanks BHO administration). He told me how the rifle would freeze up on them in the winter, so they'd urinate on the actions to thaw them out, then use them shoot an enemy combatant and steal his AK.

Had another customer when I worked in Washington IN who served under Patton in the European theater. I'm always thankful for every opportunity I have to express my appreciation to any veteran of any war or conflict.

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Back before I was really aware of WWII vet experiences I worked at a small company and the the guy that cleaned the place was a Pacific vet. He hated Japs. I mean he really hated Japs.

Tactical Dave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plainfield
    Used to know a still living WWII B-24 pilot.... he could still fly one today if needed to.

At an airshow was talking to an old guy who had the old style jump wings on his hat that you had to polish.... A guy came up and offered him a $100 for them... he said you can't buy these... I earned them... the guy said what do you mean and he replied with multiple WWII combat jumps including D-Day.... apparently it was the same pair of wings he wore on the jumps.

I was working that airshow and made sure he got special access....... super nice guy

mcolford

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 8, 2010
    My neighbor across the street served in WWII..... and I can sit on his porch with him and just listen to his life story for hours. Some of the places hes been, some of the things hes told me about, and what he doesnt mention but I probably couldnt imagine is just mind boggling. All the while, like mentioned, hes not bragging about what he did. The men of that era are a very humble group, and I have nothing but respect for each and every one of them.

-MColford

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2011
    colorado
    I was at an Ohio gun collectors show about 6 or 7 years ago and saw Brig gen. Paul Tibbets
    he was signing books and the line was long,I didnt get in line and regret it now.

Miller Tyme

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2010
    Whiskey City, Indiana
    I spend every weekend with a WW2 D-Day vet, my dad who jumped with the 82nd on D-Day. He was wounded twice outside Sainte-Mere-Eglise and spent the next 6 months in the hospital.
    He is a hero in my eyes. :patriot:

chocktaw2

Home on the Range
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 5, 2011
    Mayberry
    Glean all the info you can, for these are library's that will close in the future. This generation has so much info to share. I take the time to listen, because everyone can't write a book.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    I spend every weekend with a WW2 D-Day vet, my dad who jumped with the 82nd on D-Day. He was wounded twice outside Sainte-Mere-Eglise and spent the next 6 months in the hospital.
    He is a hero in my eyes. :patriot:

:yesway: :patriot:

He is a true hero, you can be proud of him and of what people like him did.

That town was one of the first French towns freed by the US Paratroopers, they lost many men there since they landed right in the middle of the town by mistake right where the Germans were.
    It's not far from where I live in Normandy, I have been there a few times.

You can tell your dad that a Frenchman thanks him for his service, even more than 60 years after he may be happy to hear that. :yesway:

Has he ever returned to France since then?

Dave Doehrman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    If you ever get a chance to talk to one of these guys do it,it's way better than a history book and they won't be around much longer this guy was 90.

My ex father-in-law was a Navy corpsman attached the the Marine Corps when they landed on Iwo Jima. He won't talk about the experience other than to say he is thankful to have survived. My Dad was a WWII vet who served the whole war on artillery batteries in Galveston, Texas, guarding the ships carrying oil to our refineries. I think Dad felt guilty about never leaving the States throughout the war.

A few years ago I went to a memorial service for one of our Marines who died at Khe Sanh Combat Base. The service was at the Church Of God in Port Clinton, OH. An older fellow who was near me noticed my Khe Sanh jacket and thanked me for my service. He was called up in front of the group and introduced. His name was Al Morris and he was one of the survivors on the USS Indianapolis who swam around in shark infested waters waiting for rescue. They bobbed around for 2-3 days with sharks constantly killing sailors and dragging them under or away. He was kind enough to pose for a photo with me.

ddalmorris.jpg

Talk to the WWII vets now and listen to their stories. It won't be too long before most are gone. :patriot::patriot:

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2011
    colorado
    Read the book Left For Dead about the USS Indianapolis ,thanks for posting the picture of one of HERO"S that took the bomb to the south pacific,that's really cool.:yesway:

Rayne

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 3, 2011
    Former Tree Sniper
    My Dad's a WWII vet and up until I bought him a veterans hat last year for his 90th birthday he never talked about the war. Now people stop and thank him for his service (because of the hat) and other veterans stop to talk to him and I've heard more about his experience on Guam and Iwo Jima as a flame thrower than I did all my life growing up. My Dad's my hero!

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    My Dad's a WWII vet and up until I bought him a veterans hat last year for his 90th birthday he never talked about the war. Now people stop and thank him for his service (because of the hat) and other veterans stop to talk to him and I've heard more about his experience on Guam and Iwo Jima as a flame thrower than I did all my life growing up. My Dad's my hero!

That's great.
    The few WW2 veterans I met (including family menbers) are very humble.
    That's something I never seen with the new generation (Irak Vets) where they usually brag about it and such.

Miller Tyme

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2010
    Whiskey City, Indiana
    :yesway: :patriot:

He is a true hero, you can be proud of him and of what people like him did.

That town was one of the first French towns freed by the US Paratroopers, they lost many men there since they landed right in the middle of the town by mistake right where the Germans were.
    It's not far from where I live in Normandy, I have been there a few times.

You can tell your dad that a Frenchman thanks him for his service, even more than 60 years after he may be happy to hear that. :yesway:

Has he ever returned to France since then?

Yes he did, he was over in Normandy for the 50th anniversary back in 1994 and he told me that all the US servicemen that went over where treat like heros. He turns 86 tomorrow and god willing I am planning on taking him over for the 70th anniversary in 2014.
    :patriot:

Top Bottom