• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Turfweazel

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 20, 2012
    Fort Wayne
    I am thinking about talking to my boss about removing the no weapons allowed signs. Does anyone have experience with this or any advise on how to start the conversation? There are signs up but nothing in the employee manual about weapons.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    In my experience that particular talk did not end well. This conversation did not involve me directly, but another employee asked the question. Much debate and negative response as a result.

chachi73

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 7, 2009
    west burbs
    even if your boss is cool and pro2a, he (or I would anyway) will refer it to HR and then they'll of course say no and label you a problem. I would not if I were you.

Raskolnikov

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2012
    Indianapolis
    I wouldn't bring it up, that's just my :twocents:. For me, these conversations do not end well, and wind up ticking me off. If there is a "no weapons allowed" sign, they have obviously made up their mind. Remember, Indiana is an at-will state--and they can terminate your employment for really any reason (some exceptions apply).

I used to work for a very pro-2A pizza chain (which is now out-of-business) when I was in college. A delivery driver from Papa Johns was fired after he killed a would-be robber. Our chain hired him the very next day. However, the district manager told me, "Look man, we have don't ask, don't tell policy. We won't promote you carrying your weapon--but we won't ask you about it, either. Don't tell me if you're carrying; I don't want to know. It's better to be alive and unemployed anyway." I always carried my gun, but I never actually told anyone. Maybe you get my drift?

HavokCycle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 10, 2012
    Zionsville
    it depends on the size of the company. if its a small business you might be able to do it. make sure its in writing or some sort of memorandum.

if its a corporation, dont waste your time man.

AndersonIN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 21, 2009
    Anderson, IN
    Certainly wouldn't bring it up in direct conversation. Might want to mention target shooting, hunting, carry license, etc. and see where the conversation goes.

As stated above...........big company FORGET IT! You'll just be labeled (IMHO)

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Just ignore the stupid sign.Anything can be a weapon anyway.
    If you want to respect the sign you cant come in with a pencil and Chuck Norris cant even come in with his bare hands.

The person who put that sign will probably not understand that criminals will bring any kind of weapons no matter what any sign says anyway.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    If you want to respect the sign you cant come in with a pencil and Chuck Norris cant even come in with his bare hands.

The person who put that sign will probably not understand that criminals will bring any kind of weapons no matter what any sign says anyway.

Yea, this. ^ My boss probably knows, but we don't talk about it. Concealed means concealed as far as I am concerned. Starting a conversation like this will only draw unneeded attention to the matter.

HavokCycle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 10, 2012
    Zionsville

difference between getting fired and gainful employment that.

HavokCycle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 10, 2012
    Zionsville
    it depends on the organization really. back to this, but corporations tend to be pretty nazi about policy. bosses might not care, but the shot callers do.

beararms1776

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 5, 2010
    INGO
    I am thinking about talking to my boss about removing the no weapons allowed signs. Does anyone have experience with this or any advise on how to start the conversation? There are signs up but nothing in the employee manual about weapons.
    Even if they bring up the conversation, say nothing.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    fine point, but sporks and pens haven't been considered weapons yet by liberals. they'll be focused on guns until they're banned.

Well to me anything can be used as a weapon.If there is a sign that says "no weapon allowed" at work I just cant come to work anymore so I would just ignore it. :dunno:

I dont think it has anything to do about being a liberal or not.Some stores have "no weapons" or "no gun signs" and probably think that for some magic reasons they are now protected from armed criminals ... I dont even try to understand the logic behind those signs and I dont even look for them. :rolleyes:

I wouldn't worry about the sign as a custumer as I cant be fired for bringing weapons in the store, as an employee I would just keep things concealed as long as it's legal to carry whatever weapons I have on me in that place.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Hey turfweasel, I have to agree that with the info given, I'd default to saying nothing. Maybe if you provided a little more, though unidentifiable information you might get a little more, in depth response.

beararms1776

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 5, 2010
    INGO
    even if your boss is cool and pro2a, he (or I would anyway) will refer it to HR and then they'll of course say no and label you a problem. I would not if I were you.
    Very good advice here. Even engaging in conversation about it is a bad idea.
    The next thing ya know, you'll have an employee running around with a knife in his hand stabbing boxes while giving you dirty looks.:rolleyes:

Top Bottom