• ...and so much more!
  • churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Unfortunately, yes...set one off way to close to a group of people many decades ago on the 4th of July. Quite a concussion but due to placement, no shrapnel was thrown.

Way way back in another life My great grand dad had boxes of dynamite. He cut a lot of it into quarter sticks which we found to be very entertaining.
    Than the powers that no one was hurt.

DanVoils

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    Growing up on the farm we used to get 1/4 sticks of dynamite to "thump" stumps up. Can't say we didn't use them on the Fourth every now and then.

deo62

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 8, 2009
    Peru
    Dynamite back then was all fun and games until the sticks started sweating. Had a friend lose one whole side of his barn!

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    Let me just say once upon a time *someone* in his younger years made a homemade cannon that turned out to be nothing more than a big pipe bomb on wheels. He never tried that again because it was tooooo dangerous.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Let me just say once upon a time *someone* in his younger years made a homemade cannon that turned out to be nothing more than a big pipe bomb on wheels. He never tried that again because it was tooooo dangerous.

Friend was a mad scientist type. He did the same thing. It worked really well until the addition of Jack Daniels. I believe his hearing returned partially and some of the scars healed pretty well.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Like they tell us at bomb camp: If you can see it, it can see you. Dumbass is lucky.

1qg4i8.jpg

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Grain mills have exploded in the past when the amount of dust in the air was at an explosive concentration. You don't need much energy when the flour:air mix is just right.

You are correct. I did some electronic control work at a Purina grain facility. They had me watch a safety movie about dust and I noticed that had people on a duty roster systematically cleaning the place each day. Plus each production task had a clean up detail as part of the responsibility.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Something about that video doesn't seem right. Photoshop-ed or something.
    The panel that flies at the dude just seems to fly too true for something that probably doesn't weigh much, went further than a bunch of other debris and REALLY isn't aerodynamic. After watching it a few times, though, I do think its legitimate. The way it blows past that sapling looks believable.

But, I was skeptical. (Still am, a bit.)

DanVoils

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    The panel that flies at the dude just seems to fly too true for something that probably doesn't weigh much, went further than a bunch of other debris and REALLY isn't aerodynamic. After watching it a few times, though, I do think its legitimate. The way it blows past that sapling looks believable.

But, I was skeptical. (Still am, a bit.)
    I thought the same thing when I was first sent the original video. I put it into my editing software and while it does looks CGI I think it is real. If it's CGI then someone went through a lot of work to make it. I would think that if someone CGI'd the debris they wouldn't have made/kept it as a vertical video. Plus the resolution would've been higher.
    My editing consisted of trimming off the dead/unneeded parts (~10 seconds of him lining up the shot and extra seconds after he ran off screen.), bleeping out the cuss words, slowing down the explosion to show the debris hitting the tree and then slowing down and zooming in on the shooter running off screen and adding the text. I also took it from a vertical phone video to a proper horizontal video and zoomed in some to make it a proper video.

I've edited videos for many years. From early 1995 through late 2000 I was the Chief Engineer for the IPS Television station, CIRT.

Top Bottom