• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • natetheace

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 27, 2011
    Decatur, IN
    Anyone out there tapping maple trees. I have collected 40 gallons so far off of 14 trees. I think it will be a short season. I hope to get 200 gallon before the sap turns.
    How are your trees flowing? How many trees do you have tapped?
    Sugarin is an addiction!
    :rockwoot:

AGarbers

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Martinsville
    40 gallons of sugar water or syrup? 40 gallons of sap/sugar water boils down to about one gallon of syrup. The best days are those that dip into the teens at night and climb into the 40s and 50s during the day with little wind. We haven't had many of those days this year. I sold all of my gear years ago so no more late nights of boiling for me.

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    68   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    We have tapped all the sugar maple on our property - 8 of them, all large. Over the last two years we made 4 gallons of syrup, but we have been tapping for 10 years. This year who knows. Our first sap collection will be today, and we'll be boiling soon. We first tapped a couple of weeks ago but all the spiles froze up. Started flowing again this weekend.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    I had to stand back from my computer to read the OP.

I started the taps in mid January because in my neck of the woods we usually get several runs by now. We've had two short ones so far and I have made about 3 gallons of syrup when by now I'm usually up to 15 or so. I have 180 taps in and when we have a good run can fill a 55 gallon collecting barrel in a day.

natetheace

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 27, 2011
    Decatur, IN
    I had to stand back from my computer to read the OP.

I started the taps in mid January because in my neck of the woods we usually get several runs by now. We've had two short ones so far and I have made about 3 gallons of syrup when by now I'm usually up to 15 or so. I have 180 taps in and when we have a good run can fill a 55 gallon collecting barrel in a day.

That's awesome! I wish I had that many trees. But I don't think I would have enough time to keep up!
    How big is your evaporator? Do you use a vacuum system?

savage308

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 15, 2012
    Ft. Wayne
    We have only managed to boil just over a gallon of syrup. Way behind this year for years past. Making syrup is a fun family event, my kids love going out and collecting water and boiling it. Very good for them to do something from start to finish and enjoy their hard work at the dinner table.

Top Bottom