• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • WyldeShot

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 28, 2011
    Greenville
    I just purchased my first AR on Friday. It should be here in a couple of days. I have paper targets that I use with my pistols and other empty jugs. I am thinking about buying a piece of scrap steel to use as a target. I figured I could just repaint it after each use. Don't worry, I will be at least 50 yards away, more likely a minimum of 100 yards away. Also, my bro-in-law can get me some stainless steel .75" thick but I'm not sure it will hold up.
    What are your thoughts on this?

turnerdye1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    63   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    North Central IN
    Itll probably punch right threw stainless steel. I may be wrong. If you want some really nice steel check out Bobcat Steel. He is a site supporter and has great stuff and selection.

jelzy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 3, 2011
    New Albany
    I say go for it. I'm guessing the stainless steel will be softer and will wear out over use.

Any reason you are wanting to use stainless steel over carbon?

Most typical steel targets I have seen, are made using AR400 or AR500 steel plate, 1/4" to 3/8" thick.

Let us know how it goes!

WyldeShot

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 28, 2011
    Greenville
    I say go for it. I'm guessing the stainless steel will be softer and will wear out over use.

Any reason you are wanting to use stainless steel over carbon?

Most typical steel targets I have seen, are made using AR400 or AR500 steel plate, 1/4" to 3/8" thick.

Let us know how it goes!

There's no reason. I just want something to shoot without having to pay a lot for it. I am thinking that the stainless will be too soft too.

jve153

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 14, 2011
    bargersville, in
    i generally use shoot n sees at my friends house. he has a nice hill by his house that makes a great back stop (hill is a bout a mile thick). we do shoot n sees on trees, on sticks, anything that will take a staple gun. also shoot a lot of cheap diet pop (cheap reactive targets) from anywhere from 10-20 yards to 100 yards. just fun plinking and quick target aquisition drills.

MtnBiker6510

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 19, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    One thing I notice about shooting steel is that at 100yds or less I can't audibly distinguish the ring of the steel over the rifle. Maybe your planning on using optics & will be able to see it. Just my thoughts. I've heard good things about Bobcat Steel, and the prices are very fair. AR400 or AR500 steel like Bobcat Steel uses for their targets will last while stainless will not.

WyldeShot

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 28, 2011
    Greenville
    i generally use shoot n sees at my friends house. he has a nice hill by his house that makes a great back stop (hill is a bout a mile thick). we do shoot n sees on trees, on sticks, anything that will take a staple gun. also shoot a lot of cheap diet pop (cheap reactive targets) from anywhere from 10-20 yards to 100 yards. just fun plinking and quick target aquisition drills.

Great idea with the cheap soda!

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    If you are going to shoot steel with your AR, shoot the AR400 or 500 plate that is designed for it. Shooting any mild steels, or even stainless can result in uncontrollable ricochettes.

You need the steel to be very hard to cause the bullet to shatter. Soft steel will deform, and will also keep the bullet relatively intact, which can then bouce off and go anywhere, including right back at the shooter.

A standard 5.56 nato round will punch through a 1/4" piece of mild steel at 100yds if the steel is secured and not free to move, and nearly go through a 1/2" plate, but not quite. If you shoot 62gr SS109 it will probably go through the 1/2" plate as well depending on how it is secured.

WyldeShot

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 28, 2011
    Greenville
    If you are going to shoot steel with your AR, shoot the AR400 or 500 plate that is designed for it. Shooting any mild steels, or even stainless can result in uncontrollable ricochettes.

You need the steel to be very hard to cause the bullet to shatter. Soft steel will deform, and will also keep the bullet relatively intact, which can then bouce off and go anywhere, including right back at the shooter.

A standard 5.56 nato round will punch through a 1/4" piece of mild steel at 100yds if the steel is secured and not free to move, and nearly go through a 1/2" plate, but not quite. If you shoot 62gr SS109 it will probably go through the 1/2" plate as well depending on how it is secured.

Thank you for all of the information! It sounds like I will be placing an order with Bobcat. Safety is the most important thing.

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    Itll probably punch right threw stainless steel. I may be wrong. If you want some really nice steel check out Bobcat Steel. He is a site supporter and has great stuff and selection.

One thing I notice about shooting steel is that at 100yds or less I can't audibly distinguish the ring of the steel over the rifle. Maybe your planning on using optics & will be able to see it. Just my thoughts. I've heard good things about Bobcat Steel, and the prices are very fair. AR400 or AR500 steel like Bobcat Steel uses for their targets will last while stainless will not.

contact Bobcat steel. He can get you setup with proper and SAFE steel targets.

he is an INGO site supporter and his website is Bobcat Steel | AR500 Steel Targets

Thank you for all of the information! It sounds like I will be placing an order with Bobcat. Safety is the most important thing.

:+1: Bobcat Steel! His Dueling tree will take an AR round easily as well. And they are a lot of fun.

Review of 6-Paddle Bobcat Steel Dueling Tree

ZbornacSVT

Owner at Bobcat Armament
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 15, 2009
    Shelbyville
    Thanks for the referrals guys!

that piece of stainless will probably cost more, and be softer than AR400 or AR500. You want AR500 for centerfire rifle.

Let us know if you have any other questions and we will be glad to help.

top hat 45

Sharpshooter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 4, 2008
    northern shelby co.
    #1 for bobcat steel.....great people and targets. most people have other calibers to shoot and bobcat handles them all. we shoot a lot of 22's and the plink is as good as seeing it.....daryll

Top Bottom