• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Chefcook

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Raccoon City
    The gun club where I am a member is in some ways a little primitive. For me the benefits far outweigh the drawbacks so I will not embellish on that point. The club does not supply target frames or have blocks buried in the ground at marked distances for insertion of the basic general target frame I am used to employing. A quick and easy solution to this was Realty signs but those have recently been banned and deemed hazardous. One solution was I have used a fold-able saw horse that I have but I don't want to accidentally shoot holes in it and it is too low for close up pistol work. What I need is something I can construct of a durable material that will also fit easily into a little compact sporty car while being stable enough to hang a steel target or a paper target without the paper flapping in the wind as it does off my saw horse. Any ideas would be appreciated..

jlgray

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 23, 2011
    Clarksville
    this wont work for the steel targets but work well for the paper or cardboard ones. and the uprights can be as tall or short as you wish. one is a wood base and the other is a pvc base. the wood one is the one used at the club i occasionally shoot at.

wood stand
    pvc base

NIFT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 3, 2009
    Fort Wayne, Indiana
    this wont work for the steel targets but work well for the paper or cardboard ones. and the uprights can be as tall or short as you wish. one is a wood base and the other is a pvc base. the wood one is the one used at the club i occasionally shoot at.

wood stand
    pvc base

The wood stand design, above, is very similar to what we use with the following differences:

Make the stand out of 2x3 lumber (Menards has such) to save weight and size and money.
    Space the legs 24" apart to accomodate both 18" and 24" backers and targets.
    Rip a 2x3 (or scrap 2x4) to slightly thicker than 3/4"--the thickness of 1x2 furring strips used as uprights. These will be used as spacers.
    Cut the above spacers to pieces slightly less than 2 1/2" which is the width of the 2x3. Make four of these spacers per stand.
    The first spacer on each side is placed 1 !/2" from the side legs of the base (the width of a furring strip), and the next one at 3". Be sure to allow a slight amount of extra space so the upright "sticks" can be inserted.
    This allows both 24" wide backers/targets and 18" wide targets/backers to be used by changing the holes in which the uprights are placed.
    I recommend both construction floor adhesive and screws for assembly to stand up to weather and rough service.
    Finally, drill 7/16" holes, vertically, through the stand legs near the end of the leg. Two holes, one each on opposite ends of each leg, suffice. These holes accomodate 12" steel spikes (also at Menards) that can be pushed or hammered partially into the ground to keep the stands upright in wind. Don't hammer them all the way into the ground, or they will be very hard to remove!

If you have any questions, please feel free to call me at 260-459-2382

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I use a target stand like this. You can make it any size you want it. No steel hardware to make a ricochet problem
    album.php
    album.php
    album.php

I am at a loss to why my pictures do not show up, the pictures are in the public album under my name. Sorry.

Last edited:

wetidlerjr

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2008
    TIPTON
    I use a target stand like this. You can make it any size you want it. No steel hardware to make a ricochet problem
    I am at a loss to why my pictures do not show up, the pictures are in the public album under my name. Sorry.

picture.php

picture.php

Does this help ? :D

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    I use this, but I'm looking for more stable supports. I can use paper or steel.

IMG080.jpg

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy

Could you run 2 more furring strips trough the tubes that are the feet, parallel to the ground, for more support?

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    Could you run 2 more furring strips trough the tubes that are the feet, parallel to the ground, for more support?

I meant more vertical support. The wood bends from the weight of the steel, but they are fine when paper targets are used. Bobcat Steel is making me some better supports.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    I meant more vertical support.

Ok gotcha.

I still think your setup is ideal for someone who has to transport their targets to and from the range. You have the ability to run various drills just from that single stand. Very cool.

indyk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Alpha site
    my diy target stand

All you need is
    1 2x4 1 long piece for main base 2 smaller for fold out supports for fence posts
    2 screws
    1 bendable bar or pipe
    drill
    2 fence post
    rope
    1 hammer to drive post in ground

I can hang steel paper anything to this and all the parts were in the scrap shed!!
    IMAG0092-1.jpg

fsf.jpg

hnfh.jpg

easy to transport and takedown:ingo:

Westside

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Monitor World

IMG080.jpg
    Kimball Could you put two of the 2x4 tubes on the back side of the cross bar behind the furring strip tubes to make a stronger vertical support.

Then make a top bar that will hold three targets that mounts to it. Hint Hint....I wand a discount on mine for coming up with the idea.

ZbornacSVT

Owner at Bobcat Armament
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 15, 2009
    Shelbyville
    Best/easiest option is to use 7/8"x7/8"x1/8" angle. Add rigidity and give a deflecting surface for the non hardened steel.

Top Bottom