• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • top hat 45

Sharpshooter
    Emeritus
    Jun 4, 2008
    northern shelby co.
    i've seen the link somewhere but cant find it now. i know there are pdf printable targets for practicing and are the correct individual sizes for the positions for appleseed.

i appreciate if someone can help

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    Check out the appleseedinfo.org forum. There's plenty pxf files on threre. Sorry for no direct URL. I'm using a phone.

TJ Kackowski

Let it begin here.
    Site Supporter
    Jun 8, 2012
    Hendricks County
    That's great. Thank you! Going to Richmond on 4/19. Really looking forward to it. Top Hat is coaching my son. He wants a patch!

Not too much coaching I trust. After all, the highly trained Appleseed instructors need something to do other than eat bacon and drink coffee all day.

Helping him get his rifle sighted in at 25 meters, teaching him how to safely manipulate the rifle controls and clear common malfunctions is about all that needs to be done, and even this will be taught by the AS instructors.

Earning the Rifleman patch is certainly a worthy goal. I'm sure that if your son is persistent, he will get his Rifleman patch. Please be aware that it generally takes more than one Appleseed to accomplish this goal. To further complicate the matter, you'll be attending a one-day Appleseed. I'm not sure how many AQT's will be shot at a one-day AS. Certainly not as many as at a two-day event when the second day is primarily devoted to shooting AQT's.

Best of success to you and your son in Richmond. You have an outstanding set of AS instructors signed up to conduct the event.

top hat 45

Sharpshooter
    Emeritus
    Jun 4, 2008
    northern shelby co.
    Not too much coaching I trust. After all, the highly trained Appleseed instructors need something to do other than eat bacon and drink coffee all day.

Helping him get his rifle sighted in at 25 meters, teaching him how to safely manipulate the rifle controls and clear common malfunctions is about all that needs to be done, and even this will be taught by the AS instructors.

Earning the Rifleman patch is certainly a worthy goal. I'm sure that if your son is persistent, he will get his Rifleman patch. Please be aware that it generally takes more than one Appleseed to accomplish this goal. To further complicate the matter, you'll be attending a one-day Appleseed. I'm not sure how many AQT's will be shot at a one-day AS. Certainly not as many as at a two-day event when the second day is primarily devoted to shooting AQT's.

Best of success to you and your son in Richmond. You have an outstanding set of AS instructors signed up to conduct the event.

my coaching of indyjohn's son won't be stepping on any appleseed coaches toes. trigger squeeze, proper breathing, etc. he's VERY good at rimfire benchrest, already hitting about 75% clay birds, working on steel plate pistol and rifle, i.e. ruger rimfire challenge and this year the new nra f-class rimfire. NPOA is involved in all of it.

the best only get better with quality coaching and he'll probability surpass me in just a couple years.

daryll

TJ Kackowski

Let it begin here.
    Site Supporter
    Jun 8, 2012
    Hendricks County
    When I looked into the Ruger rimfire challenge it seems to have been replaced with the NSSF rimfire challenge. Is this the same thing? Rimfire Challenge | National Shooting Sports Foundation

If so, it sure looks like a ton of fun! Where are you shooting this competition?

After a quick search for the NRA F-Class rimfire that you also mentioned, I think I know what it is ... do you have a link to a local club that sponsors this type of competition?

top hat 45

Sharpshooter
    Emeritus
    Jun 4, 2008
    northern shelby co.
    When I looked into the Ruger rimfire challenge it seems to have been replaced with the NSSF rimfire challenge. Is this the same thing? Rimfire Challenge | National Shooting Sports Foundation

If so, it sure looks like a ton of fun! Where are you shooting this competition?

After a quick search for the NRA F-Class rimfire that you also mentioned, I think I know what it is ... do you have a link to a local club that sponsors this type of competition?

you are correct about the ruger rimfire challenge being taken over by the nssf. that is the correct website for that. there is a schedule on that website and so far there is only one setup in indiana, in june if memory is correct at atlanta gun club. several towns have monthly shoots in other states but not here yet.

last year the only one i knew of was up in avon. my daughter and i went to that one and she was top female shooter out of 5 other females.

the rules for the nra f-class rimfire aren't even released yet until end of march. the targets are the nra a-51 for 50 yds and the nra a-33 for 100 yds all prone with bipod or front rest depending on which of the 2 classes you would shoot. nor have i found anything scheduled anywhere.

we do all of the practicing for these any other styles of shooting at my place in the country.

daryll

Rayne

Grandmaster
    Jan 3, 2011
    Former Tree Sniper
    my coaching of indyjohn's son won't be stepping on any appleseed coaches toes. trigger squeeze, proper breathing, etc. he's VERY good at rimfire benchrest, already hitting about 75% clay birds, working on steel plate pistol and rifle, i.e. ruger rimfire challenge and this year the new nra f-class rimfire. NPOA is involved in all of it.

the best only get better with quality coaching and he'll probability surpass me in just a couple years.

daryll

As an Appleseed Instructor in training, you can step on my toes anytime you want and be my coach too. Sure wished I lived closer cause you'd have to be shooing me off your property all the time. I love hanging out with Missy and you. I learn so much.

top hat 45

Sharpshooter
    Emeritus
    Jun 4, 2008
    northern shelby co.
    thank you, rayne, very nice of you to say that. and you know you are welcome anytime.

as an update to indyjohn's son shooting, after warming up with a new ar-22 i just built he shot standing at the aqt only 1 outside the target, a 3, 2 4's, and 6 5's. first time shooting the new rifle. while other activities were going on in the shop he went to sitting position, no sling, and hit 12 out of 15 2'' swinging plates from 40 yds.

at 12 yrs old, i have high hopes he'll get his patch if not the first AS but by the second anyway.

the rifle he was shooting is a complete TACCOM upper and stock, and a scope from alan, a&a optics, a vortex crossfire. complete rifle and scope only way about 4 lbs.

daryll

Top Bottom