Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    FREEDONIA
    Task force seeks ban on assault weapons

Group also wants overhaul of Mexican border agencies

By Spencer S. Hsu
    Washington Post Staff Writer

A binational task force on U.S.-Mexico border issues will call Friday on the Obama administration and Congress to reinstate an expired ban on assault weapons and for Mexico to overhaul its frontier police and customs agencies to mirror the U.S. Department of Homeland Security.

The recommendations are among a broad set of security, trade, development and environmental proposals that come as President Obama and his Mexicans counterpart, Felipe Calderón, move to deepen engagement on issues including economic recovery, climate change, illegal immigration and narcotics trafficking.

Robert C. Bonner, the U.S. co-chairman of the private task force, which included several former senior government officials from both countries, said the changes could be included in a follow-up to the Merida initiative, a $1.4 billion three-year commitment of U.S. aid to support Mexico's crackdown on drug cartels that ends next year.
    The proposals "will transform management of the border from a source of contention and frustration into a model of cooperation," states a report by the Los Angeles-based Pacific Council on International Policy and the Mexican Council on Foreign Relations titled, "Rethinking the U.S.-Mexico Border." The 30-member task force blamed lack of collaboration for violence, billions of dollars in lost economic opportunities and a public perception of a "broken" system.

The study comes as Mexico's struggle to combat narco-traffickers and public corruption from the multibillion-dollar North American drug trade has forged a tighter relationship between the neighbors. In reaction, policy analysts and think tanks, most recently the School of the Northern Border in Mexico and the Woodrow Wilson International Center for Scholars, have developed border development proposals.

Skeptics say U.S. attention to its troubled partner is outpaced by what it spends to combat drugs in places such as Colombia or Afghanistan, while the southbound flow of weapons into Mexico -- where private gun ownership is illegal -- has been a flashpoint as Mexico's death toll from drug-related violence has topped 15,000.

In Mexico City in April, Obama pledged to push the Senate to ratify an inter-American arms-trafficking treaty but backed away from a campaign promise to reinstate a ban on assault weapons that Congress let expire in 2004. Obama said that it would be too difficult politically to enact new gun legislation soon and that enforcing existing measures would have a more immediate effect.

Mexican officials want a ban, saying that 90 percent of guns seized in drug crimes in Mexico and submitted for tracing to the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives originate in the United States, including most assault rifles.

Bonner, who led U.S. drug enforcement and customs agencies under Republican administrations from 1990 to 1993 and from 2002 to 2005, said the task force sought to identify bold steps for each side. Bonner took over the panel from Alan D. Bersin, whom Obama has nominated to lead U.S. Customs and Border Protection.

Task force co-chairman Andres Rozental, former deputy foreign minister of Mexico, said Mexico should realign and strengthen 16 agencies that share border responsibilities to combat corruption and improve coordination with the DHS, as Canada did after the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks. Mexico has taken some steps, including hiring 1,400 new customs agents.

Mexico is the third-largest U.S. trading partner and the No. 2 destination for U.S. exports, he noted. The panel recommended adding private border crossings that collect tolls and prioritizing jointly planned improvements based on economic benefit.

If the United States legalizes most of its illegal immigrants and allows for a flexible flow of legal workers, Mexico should stop illegal immigration from its side of the border, the panel said.

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    The Myth of 90 Percent: Only a Small Fraction of Guns in Mexico Come From U.S.

-- CBS newsman Bob Schieffer referred to it while interviewing President Obama.

-- California Sen. Dianne Feinstein said at a Senate hearing: "It is unacceptable to have 90 percent of the guns that are picked up in Mexico and used to shoot judges, police officers and mayors ... come from the United States."

-- William Hoover, assistant director for field operations at the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives, testified in the House of Representatives that "there is more than enough evidence to indicate that over 90 percent of the firearms that have either been recovered in, or interdicted in transport to Mexico, originated from various sources within the United States."

There's just one problem with the 90 percent "statistic" and it's a big one:

It's just not true.

In fact, it's not even close. The fact is, only 17 percent of guns found at Mexican crime scenes have been traced to the U.S.

What's true, an ATF spokeswoman told FOXNews.com, in a clarification of the statistic used by her own agency's assistant director, "is that over 90 percent of the traced firearms originate from the U.S."

But a large percentage of the guns recovered in Mexico do not get sent back to the U.S. for tracing, because it is obvious from their markings that they do not come from the U.S.

"Not every weapon seized in Mexico has a serial number on it that would make it traceable, and the U.S. effort to trace weapons really only extends to weapons that have been in the U.S. market," Matt Allen, special agent of U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE), told FOX News.

2ADMNLOVER

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    May 13, 2009
    West side Indy
    If the United States legalizes most of its illegal immigrants and allows for a flexible flow of legal workers, Mexico should stop illegal immigration from its side of the border, the panel said.

They should stop it anyway ! ONLY THEN should we talk to them .

I have a hard time believing that most of their guns come from America .

cce1302

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Back down south
    1. I can't believe that the 90% myth is still being propagated by the WaPo. Oh, wait, yes I can. consider the source.
    2. Why not just ban "assault weapons" from Mexico. that'll work, right?

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    I think they need to ban assault weapons in Mexico. Have the drug dealers turn in their now illegal weapons for a 500 peso coupon for their favorite taco.

This reminds me of the clinton era, when everything was some else's fault, and no one was responsible for their own actions. It is our fault that the Mexican police are unable to stop drug wars, drug trade, and drug use.

When will anyone learn, the "war on drugs" can never be won.

Mike_M

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2009
    Beautiful Milan
    You can't win a war on drugs when your leadership is as crooked as the drug lords. That applies on both sides of the border. Remember Holder saying that you can't let a good crisis go to waste........

Show me the raw data.

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Oh, did you know that a good portion of those 90% traced to the US were also once part of the Mexican Military and police forces? :dunno: But you won't hear them talk about that tidbit to the media....

lashicoN

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2009
    North
    I've heard so many stories of violence and abductions spilling over into the US from the Mexican cartels. They are fully armed and are waging their own private war on this country and it's citizens. Is it any wonder they want us to give up our "assault weapons"? Seriously, what would the United States government have said if Japan gave us that statement in 1940? Not that Mexico as a whole is gearing up for an invasion, but I'm just saying, the cartel's job will be much easier on our side of the border if they know we aren't properly armed.

miguel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 24, 2008
    16T
    Here's a stink bomb I'll throw into this thread, just because I have some free time on my hands before the holiday...

A couple of weeks ago, when the Clinton statue was unveiled overseas, there was some discussion on this board over the value of the US militarily supporting Bosnia, et al, against the Serbs.

My ultimate beef with those kinds of decisions is that we have a third-world, gangster-run country screwing us left and right on our own border, but we would never consider sending A-10s or troops in to solve that problem. It's sickening to have these people (the US government) ignore our real problems and, dare I say, collaborate with those who would attempt to strip us of our basic rights.

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Here's a stink bomb I'll throw into this thread, just because I have some free time on my hands before the holiday...

A couple of weeks ago, when the Clinton statue was unveiled overseas, there was some discussion on this board over the value of the US militarily supporting Bosnia, et al, against the Serbs.

My ultimate beef with those kinds of decisions is that we have a third-world, gangster-run country screwing us left and right on our own border, but we would never consider sending A-10s or troops in to solve that problem. It's sickening to have these people (the US government) ignore our real problems and, dare I say, collaborate with those who would attempt to strip us of our basic rights.

That is a good point. But are you saying we should invade Mexico to rid them of the cartels? Just curious.

Regardless, it's not like we're REALLY going to do anything about the cartels in Mexico until they come here. OBVIOUSLY our government in benefiting from them sending drugs here otherwise we would have wiped out the drug trade from this Country. If we REALLY wanted to stop the drug trade here they would arrest every two bit druggy they could find. That would inevitably lead them to the higher ups and so forth and so on. Not that we don't know where the head of the snake is anyway....

H.T.

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2009
    Fishers -MSG 2
    What they don't tell you is that the majority of weapons siezed. Are from the U.S. However there weapons our goverment gave to there Federal police and Military agencies. Only to have them sold to or stolen by the Cartels. Yep Our Goverment arming the Bad guys so they can kill the good guys.

Here's more information. The US Goverment will never send US troops to stop the Drug cartels. Why? you ask. The answer is very simple and here it is.$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
    $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
    $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
    $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
    Yes that's it. The Goverment makes to much money off street drugs.
    How!? You ask in amazement. Simple all that money they sieze goes to them all those cars,homes,properties,boats,planes etc. That they sieze, goes to them. Also if somone informs to the DEA & they make a bust where $$$$$ is involved the informant gets a % of the monies siezed.

So don't look for the US to look at Mexico or Colombia and say. Listen you SOB you keep this crap in your own country..OR we will come in and fix it for you!!

miguel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 24, 2008
    16T
    That is a good point. But are you saying we should invade Mexico to rid them of the cartels? Just curious.

Regardless, it's not like we're REALLY going to do anything about the cartels in Mexico until they come here. OBVIOUSLY our government in benefiting from them sending drugs here otherwise we would have wiped out the drug trade from this Country. If we REALLY wanted to stop the drug trade here they would arrest every two bit druggy they could find. That would inevitably lead them to the higher ups and so forth and so on. Not that we don't know where the head of the snake is anyway....

No, I'd rather not occupy or even attack, per se. Cartels can do what they want down there as far as I'm concerned.

Rather, I'd like to set up a real border with them and anyone attempting to cross it without paperwork or legit business doing so gets fed a lead sandwich for lunch.

Top Bottom