• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • FortWayneGunfighter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 13, 2012
    The desert...
    So as many of yall know i recently got a tattoo friday in fact. Ive been washing it with warm water and putting aquafor on it twice a day along with airing it out until last night i know that its normal for it to itch and peel i was just wondering about how much it should be peeling and how long it normally does. Also if i should do anything about that..thanks in advanced.

myloudfamily

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 28, 2012
    Aquafor on any of my tattoos never peeled. I leave it uncovered and apply a thin layer a few times a day. It's considered to be an open wound and healing will itch give it a few days and It should be better.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    Everybody heals different. Even different parts of your body take longer to heal. My arms peeled in 3 days. My chest took 5. My back took 7! I always used A&D ointment and kept the tat open to air as much as possible.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    Keep it wet with whatever you use. I'm not sure what Aquafor is. I kept my tats coated with A&D as much as possible. It will heal faster and less chance of a scab which can leave a spot void of ink.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    Yep. Keep is moist as much as possible. DON'T PEEL THE SKIN OFF YOURSELF! Let it fall off by itself. Usually happens in the shower. Also don't use soap with a scent on the tat. Get a bar of dove. The perfumes can effect the healing. And no swimming pools until it is completely healed. Chlorine fade the ink.

Enjoy your first tat!

Jarhead77

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 23, 2012
    Noblesville
    Big tanker is dead on. Keep it moist w/ A&D or aquifor or whatever you choose a couple times a day. I still put moisturizer on mine. Years after getting it, it still looks pretty good!

Exodus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 29, 2011
    SWI
    What everyone else has said. My favorite/best tattoo has a light spot from getting a scab ripped off. Not on purpose either, its on my forearm and got it caught on the zipper of ajacket while putting it on.

RedneckReject

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 6, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Not much advice I can give you that everyone else hasn't already said. Keep it moist with whatever your artist told you to pick up, but don't soak it. A thin layer will work just fine. I still moisturize all of my tattoos regularly. I have one that I got nearly 15 years ago and it still looks great. Some of it does depend on your skin and the way you take the ink but usually if you take care of it properly it will look awesome for years.

jetmechG550

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    The only tattoo I have that the artist said to use aquaphor was on my foot. My wife also got a tattoo on her foot from another artists that did my arm, she recommended aquaphor for her foot, my arm was a different story. My big arm piece was just wash with dove antibacterial unscented soap a couple times a day and then apply plain old unscented lubriderm throughout the day. One on my leg was the same method from another artist and another on my other arm was bacetracin for a couple days then lubriderm. I did find that aquaphor is great for a burn though.

SPUTTER

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 27, 2012
    BEDFORD
    Just as the others, keep it moist and a lot of air, it will itch, skin fall off and heal then look out. when I got my tats I loved the way they looked after about a day, bright, loud, puffed up. Cool

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    I always just used unscented soft soap to clean it a few times a day and A&D and I'd leave it uncovered. If it itches, smack it.

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    Aquafor is the best. Keep it wet and to help with this throughout the day, apply it and wrap the area in saran wrap. Keeps the moisture on it.

Mackey

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    interwebs
    Keep it wet with whatever you use. I'm not sure what Aquafor is. I kept my tats coated with A&D as much as possible. It will heal faster and less chance of a scab which can leave a spot void of ink.

A&D worked for me.

But you should try rubbing dirt in it.;)

ditto

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 3, 2012
    Newburgh
    You shouldn't suffocate a healing tattoo with saran wrap. You don't need to put anything on it but a topical. Usually they will wrap it up when you're finished and tell you to keep it on for a couple hours to minimize risk for infection. After you get home and wash it/treat it with your chosen topical, leave it alone and let it breath!

kjf40

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 31, 2011
    Lake county
    I was always told to not use petroleum based products on tats.
    such as a&d....or petroleum jelly because it sits on the skin and doesn't allow air to get to the wounded area.

can't remember what I used but it was a lotion, not a balm type.

bmgreen13

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2012
    Parts Unknown
    un-scented dial liquid soap at the end of you shower, pat dry with paper towel, use antibiotic cream lightly for first few days until it begins to peel, then apply light layer of un-scented lotion a few times a day until healed. avoid pools and sun as much as possible until healed.

Top Bottom