• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I have had two Taurus pistols and both were crap. I had a millenium which had to be sent in to get the firing pin replaced after it broke with probably less than 400 rounds through it. The second was a 24/7 pro in .45acp. It was by far the worst gun I have ever owned. I couldn't get through a single magazine without a bullet nose diving in the mag. It was sent twice to Taurus for repair only to be returned with new mags and a polished feed ramp the second time...STILL had the same problem. I will never own another Taurus pistol, not even if it were free. A revolver is a different story. Google up tacapp.com it was a thread started back in 2006 and is still going it describes what I call the 24/7 plague. two guns bought new, traded in costing more money and agrevation.

Airborne33

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 18, 2010
    Colorado SPrings
    Love my PT1911. +500 rounds, not one jam. Couldn't say the same for my Kimber Custom II or my Kimber Warrior. Both of those for some reason loved to FTE or FTF. Just saying. Then again this is a 1911 design, which is arguably the most reliable and combat proven pistol ever created. I can't say enough good things about my PT1911 and I wont, since I see a lot of people posting based on 2nd hand information.

I think it comes down to the fact that some people will hate on every pistol except the one they own. Doesn't matter if it's another 1911 design or not. Haters will find any reason to not like another pistol. Either, they don't like it because someone had more money and bought something better than theirs (in this case they point out how you are overpaying for unnecessary mods) or they hate on less expensive ones (Making the argument that since they paid more, they specifically got more in every single regard). I like talking with people who are willing to discuss both positives and negatives about every firearm, but I don't understand why people want to openly hate on something that someone else clearly depends on for self defense.

If you actually have something to say about Taurus, back it up with first hand experience, detailed problems, and what the cause was. Otherwise, you are just one of the two haters I described above.

I don't believe the OP's intent was to get how people "feel" about Taurus as a brand, I believe he was asking for some real information about the brand, and what current and past OWNERS (and people who have experience shooting the brand) have to say about it.

Sorry if I overstep my bounds. I am not a Taurus supporter, but my PT1911 is more dependable than the two kimbers I previously owned (maybe I had lemons lol).

Also don't forget, most FTF is caused by three things, Bad ammo, Bad magazine (1911 needs a Wilson or other high end mag), or weak grip. Replacing the factory mags does wonders.

ChalupaCabras

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    LaPorte / Kingsbury
    Admittedly, I'm not a huge Taurus fan. I have had some less than stellar products from them in the past.

But more recently, my wife's PT-22 shoots very well until it gets dirty, which is about 50+ rounds. The chamber is very tight, so once it gets dirty it starts having extraction problems (not surprising for a gun that has no extractor).

All said, the gun shoot well for her, its HER gun, and she refuses to carry anything else. Its infinitely better than nothing.

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Admittedly, I'm not a huge Taurus fan. I have had some less than stellar products from them in the past.

But more recently, my wife's PT-22 shoots very well until it gets dirty, which is about 50+ rounds. The chamber is very tight, so once it gets dirty it starts having extraction problems (not surprising for a gun that has no extractor).

All said, the gun shoot well for her, its HER gun, and she refuses to carry anything else. Its infinitely better than nothing.

How does it work without an extractor? Is the empty just blown out?

Giraffe

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2012
    I have a 9mm 24/7 that I have put severeal hundred rounds through without an issue. I now have a jam that I cannot clear. I believe the round is live that is in there. I will have to take a high intensity light to determine whether it is live but then what?
    Any suggestions?

Cole46845

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 12, 2012
    Out of the box my new pt940 jammed like it was its job. That's why I bought a glock for my reliable gun.

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    Out of the box my new pt940 jammed like it was its job. That's why I bought a glock for my reliable gun.

Did you check the feed ramp to see if it needed polished?

No you probably did not and dumped like a cold out dated turkey.

I have a 12 year old PT-940 that has performed flawlessly for thousands of rounds. It's sits quietly beside my bed wait for it's first midnight encounter with the lone exception of some occasional function rounds and lubing.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I have had several taurus handguns and they all have been reliable. Sad to say alot of people go off of others opinions and not first hand experience.

I sold 'em for two years. And saw dozens go in for repairs, plus fixed dozens myself. The least problematic were the 92 clones. The 1911, revolvers (esp the small ones, and tip up .22 (esp plastic lowers) and 24/7 types were not good.

Even volume adjusted, they had a MUCH higher failure rate. Got these guns through those 2 years from different distributors, so it's not like they came from a single bad batch.

Engineering tech with damn good problem solving skills, worked in a metallurigcal lab as well, I know a little bit about failure modes. I tested and ruled out ammo or user issues. We saw guns with bad parts, broken parts, missing parts..........improper machining and less than decent materials.

I did see a guy double charge a Judge and blow it up. We sent it in and 9 months went by and not a word. Box shows up, free new gun.

They didn't have to take care of that moron customer, but they did.

Gotta report the good with the bad, that's one good.................and a whole lot of bad. You can declare whatever ratio you want to justify your Taurus or non Taurus purchase.

I refuse to even touch one, or offer debug help. Nope. That friggin' warranty is so great, they can use it.

Last edited:

Exodus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 29, 2011
    SWI
    Ive had one ftf after a lot of shooting one day. Did a quick cleaning and no more problems that day or since.

I do have a mag that doesn't like to eject without help. I carried it for 2 years.

It's a pt140 pro btw, made in 06.

SkullDaddy.45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 25, 2012
    0hio
    Gotta do your homework when looking for your next gun. It's nice to just google a gun and read reviews, and you should, but ya gotta talk to people who have actually owned the gun. When I bought the XDs , I heard many complaints about FTF, FTE and I almost passed on it. Until I talked to people who actually owned one. They all loved the gun , and so do I.:D

j4jenk

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 27, 2012
    Madison County
    I have a friend who watches cops on TV, and he said it was ok to keep my Taurus pt-92 since I've had it for 12+ years, used it in training and some local competitions, and never had a single problem outside of a couple cheap gun show mags. I should have known better on no name gun show mags.

I gues the jury is still out on my Taurus 85 ultra-lite. I've only got a few hundred rounds through it, so maybe it will develop some problems, but I've had non so far.

I did have a Taurus milinium that shot the guide rod 5yards down range. I sold that one when it came back from repair.

tj_v89

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 1, 2011
    Ive owned a Taurus 709 Slim and never had a single failure of any sort. I sold it bc I didnt like how it shot. I now own a Taurus PT-111 Millenium pro Gen 2 and its a great little 9mm

j4jenk

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 27, 2012
    Madison County
    Maybe we should start a marlin bashing thread. My 1972 glenfield model 60 had a couple FTFs after shooting so much cheap ammo through it in an extended plinking session that it sounded like a pepper mill when I cycled the bolt. Can't even blame those on the mag, it's tube feed.

Seriously, look at the guns design, take it to the the range and evaluate it, if it works it works, if it doesn't it doesn't.

Sublime49er247

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    I have put hundreds of rounds through my Taurus PT 24/7 PRO LS 9mm and have never had any issues. Your information is surprising.....

Nimrodknaack

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Bought a 709 slim and have had nothing but trouble. It has a failure to eject on every magazine. I will say, I was very accurate with it. I will be getting rid of it and will get a glock.

Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    My 709s is in the shop as we speak. 25% FTE on the first 100 rounds I put through it. Rear safety fell off. Taurus responded properly to my complaints and arranged for Fed Ex to pick up the weapon, paid for shipping to the factory. It is now two weeks gone. Taurus says it is on the shelf awaiting attention of the armorers, and that I should expect a one month turn around time.

Update on this old past.

Taurus fixed the problem at no cost to me. I have since acquired two more Tauri. They work flawlessly. Excellent weapons. Great Customer Service.

I use a 709 Slim and a 24/7 DS Compact (Gen 1). Both are accurate and reliable.

Top Bottom