• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cce1302

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Back down south
    I will never buy a Taurus. They are cheap knockoffs of real guns. Their DA revolvers? crappy copies of S&W. the PT92? crappy coppy of a Beretta 92. I wouldn't take one off your hands if you gave me fifty bucks to do it. A buddy of mine had a Taurus copy of the S&W J-frame. The trigger felt like someone had filled the insides with gravel. The old ones had reliability issues. THey say the new ones don't have reliability issues, but how can they say that when they haven't been around long enough to be tested. My BIL had a medium frame .357 Taurus copy of a S&W. My GP100 was significantly better than his Taurus.

Also, they're made in Brazil.

*The above post is my observation colored by blatant prejudice. No amount of logic will change my mind.

Bluedragon

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Muncie
    I will never buy a Taurus. They are cheap knockoffs of real guns. Their DA revolvers? crappy copies of S&W. the PT92? crappy coppy of a Beretta 92. I wouldn't take one off your hands if you gave me fifty bucks to do it. A buddy of mine had a Taurus copy of the S&W J-frame. The trigger felt like someone had filled the insides with gravel. The old ones had reliability issues. THey say the new ones don't have reliability issues, but how can they say that when they haven't been around long enough to be tested. My BIL had a medium frame .357 Taurus copy of a S&W. My GP100 was significantly better than his Taurus.

I find this post somewhat annoying.... I have had a Taurus copy of a SW10 in 38special and ive had a snub nose Taurus 85 in 38 as well...neither gun has had problems...The snub i no longer own on the grounds of impulse trade, which btw i miss the gun. I have also had two Taurus PT92's one is a pre decocker PT92AF, and the second was a PT92AFS with stainless finish with decocker... I have also fired a PT92AF that my girlfriends dad owns that is identical to mine, but in poor condition due to him leaving it under his mattress for the past 10 or so years...however aside from his gun having a few rust spots here and their and also having somewhat of a ****** barrel, the gun still fired and cycled as it should, no jams or misfires... It was also still pretty accurate for the shape it's in. Btw i cleaned his up and it's working a lot better now. My two personal 92AF's have worked wonderfully as well.... They fired and felt just the same as the Beretta 92's ive had in the past.... and I have quite a lot of experience with a Beretta 92. I myself have had two USA made 92F models, a 96 model in 40 cal, a USA made 92FS in stainless steel, and ive also had in the past an Italian made Beretta 92FS inox in stainless steel. I have also fired and used my uncle's blued italian made 92F. So that there is six Beretta 92 series pistols ive had time to play around with, and they felt no different then the Taurus PT92 that i have sitting right beside me, minus of course the safety placement which btw the i prefer :D

Also to the jack ass whoever made the comment of being "copies" just a little FYI for you. Taurus bought the plant Beretta owned in Brazil to make their 92 series of pistols for the Brazilian army, they built the plant so the guns could be made domestically but it was on Beretta tooling and blue prints, the only difference was they had Brazilian labor to build the guns, similar to how Colt had built a plant in Argentina to build their 1911 series of pistols for the Argentine army during the late 20's. But you don't see no one talk **** about them do you?:rolleyes:

Oh and also one more thing lest I forget you say that being made in Brazil makes the guns crap? Well Springfield Armory has their guns built and made over in Brazil under a company named Imbel, and I rarely hear people talk bad about them, but of course who will dare speak blasphemy of the 1911?:laugh:

However I will say this..... the newer 92's coming out by Taurus now with that tactical rail....uhhh....yeah....ewwwwwwwwwwwww:runaway:

How I wish Taurus would go back to making their 92's without the ugly rail... it takes away the whole look of the 92 series of pistols....:rockwoot:

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield

*The above post is my observation colored by blatant prejudice. No amount of logic will change my mind.

This post reminds me of the diehard Mopar groupie that swears nothing is, nor ever will be better than his hemi.

I have 3 handguns, a Springfield 1911A1, a Taurus PT92AR and a PT940 and I trust my life with my 940 as my cc, just as much as I trust my 1911 as my home defense choice.

zcam630

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 9, 2008
    Somewhere
    Just picked up a PT140 today. Seems to be a good gun, but I have not put any steel down the barrel. Guess I will find out soon enough.

Seancass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    Near Whiteland, IN
    I havn't had any trouble, ever, with a Taurus. My Ruger revolver needs sent back for service. Go figure.

oh, and the OP = troll, this has been discussed a million times, and i have no idea why this thread isn't closed.

Michiana

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 3, 2008
    Granger
    I havn't had any trouble, ever, with a Taurus. My Ruger revolver needs sent back for service. Go figure.

oh, and the OP = troll, this has been discussed a million times, and i have no idea why this thread isn't closed.

When they start out with "my neighbors brother-in-laws cousin's girlfriends father owned an XXX and it was a piece of junk" you have to write these people right off. I listen to people who have owned a gun and even then you get a lemmon once in awhile with every gun. I owned a S&W that went back to the factory twice and I hated it. I have two Taurus and four Rossi, (which were merged with Taurus), and have not had a bit of problem with any of them. To each their own.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    The funny thing is that of the people who claim Taurus (or HiPoint or even Lorcin) love to talk smack about a gun, but not one of them will put his claims of their lack of reliability to the test and stand in front of it when it's fired. Kinda like the people that put down someone carrying a .25 or a .32; they don't have the same power as a 9mm or something starting with a 4, , but still, no one wants to be shot with one. I own a Taurus. It does what I want it to do. Any FTFs or FTEs I've had can be attributed to "operator error" such as not oiling it enough. Speaking of which, I probably should do that.

Blessings,
    B

MilitaryArms

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2008
    I think the biggest problem with Taurus is their quality varies wildly from build to build. If you get a good one, it's fine. If you get a Friday gun... wow. Example:

Here's some internal shots of a PT111. This is one of the worst I've ever seen. You'll see all sorts of amateur manufacturing mistakes. You'll see tool chatter marks from either too slow of a tool speed or a very dull tool, burrs, etc. This was a new gun.

100652879.jpg

100652876.jpg

100652863.jpg

100652861.jpg

They even make mistakes like this at times, which I find amazing.

DSC00493.jpg

But, as I said... if you get one that's properly made when someone was running the machine that knew what they were doing, it's fine. I just have to wonder what their QC processes are that such things make it to market.

cce1302

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Back down south
    The funny thing is that of the people who claim Taurus (or HiPoint or even Lorcin) love to talk smack about a gun, but not one of them will put his claims of their lack of reliability to the test and stand in front of it when it's fired. Kinda like the people that put down someone carrying a .25 or a .32; they don't have the same power as a 9mm or something starting with a 4, , but still, no one wants to be shot with one. I own a Taurus. It does what I want it to do. Any FTFs or FTEs I've had can be attributed to "operator error" such as not oiling it enough. Speaking of which, I probably should do that.

Blessings,
    B

Nobody's arguing that it won't fire sometimes, in the general direction of where it's pointed, and even probably do some harm. I just wouldn't trust my life to one. That's my reason for buying guns. I trust my life to them.

Also, directed to whomever mentioned "brother's uncle's barber's cousin" or whatever... Why should I spend my own money on a weapon just to prove that it's crap? Why not shoot other people's guns or rental guns (like so many people here recommend) and learn from the experience instead of spending my own money?

dburkhead

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Nobody's arguing that it won't fire sometimes, in the general direction of where it's pointed, and even probably do some harm. I just wouldn't trust my life to one. That's my reason for buying guns. I trust my life to them.

Also, directed to whomever mentioned "brother's uncle's barber's cousin" or whatever... Why should I spend my own money on a weapon just to prove that it's crap? Why not shoot other people's guns or rental guns (like so many people here recommend) and learn from the experience instead of spending my own money?

Sometimes? Over a thousand rounds through mine and it's fired every single time.

In the general direction of where it's pointed? 70 rounds in one session at 50 feet, 90% hits on head shots ("hostage" target). The limitation there is not the gun, but me. Accurate enough and to spare for a self defense weapon.

"Probably do some harm." .45 ACP 180 grain JHP will probably do more than "some harm."

Hardly "crap" despite the badmouthing that people with an agenda give the gun maker.

The issue with Taurus is that you have a few people who've had a bad experience being very vocal about it and who tend to drown out the folk who have no problem at all with Taurus guns.

Michiana

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 3, 2008
    Granger
    There is a difference on opinions

I am the one who mentioned the brother’s uncle, etc. For me there is a difference between the opinion of a person who owns a specific product and a person who expresses an opinion based upon second, third of forth generation feedback. Why do you have such a problem understanding that there are many Taurus gun owners who have zero issues with this manufacturer? We have personally tested their firearms and found them to be very dependable weapons.

You make no mention whether or not you have owned a Taurus; the tone of your posts leans to a no answer. Most people buy what they can afford. Taurus prices are where they are due to where they are manufactured; lower labor costs and state of the art manufacturing facilities. I believe they are one of the fastest growing firearms manufactures in the world.

I am sure there are some people that buy Colt handguns for themselves and their kids clothes at Wal-Mart. If that is how they want to spend their money go right ahead. I have owned two Taurus and three Rossi handguns for up to twelve years plus a Rossi 22 pump for 25 years with zero issues with any of these guns. Other members have had similar experiences; these recommendations, in my opinion should take precedent over the mud slingers who have almost zero experience with this manufacturer.

I carried a Rossi Mod 877 (357mag) stub nosed revolver for ten years and bet my life on it every day. No one is asking you or anyone else to buy a Taurus if you don't like the product, that is why there are hundreds of different choices. Just quit unjustly bashing the other guys choice of weapons.

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    Edited to conserve space:

Why do you have such a problem understanding that there are many Taurus gun owners who have zero issues with this manufacturer? We have personally tested their firearms and found them to be very dependable weapons.

You make no mention whether or not you have owned a Taurus; the tone of your posts leans to a no answer. Most people buy what they can afford. Taurus prices are where they are due to where they are manufactured; lower labor costs and state of the art manufacturing facilities. I believe they are one of the fastest growing firearms manufactures in the world.

Biggest problem I've seen is people who just plain never used a new Taurus right out of the box, or used a range gun that was treated like crap, or a friends guns that was not cleaned properly or from a buddy who has a friend that has a uncle who's neighbor's co-worker lived next door to retired cop who talked to a person on the street as their SOLE evaluation.
    Then bitch gripe and complain to hell's end about it, and the entire time never owned one.

Know this because I worked with a guy that was like this, took him to the range let him throw 200 down the pipe with my PT940 that I bought 8 years ago, now he owns nothing BUT Taurus products, 5 altogether not a problem with any of them.

Heck I imagine there might be a few here that will give you chance
    to use their Taurus at a range to evaluate.

I've seen Springfield's that was crap, do I talk bad about them, no, I even own a Springfield 1911A1. The whole thing is with ALL items that require humans in the manufacturing process there WILL be some bad ones get out, especially with the amount being produced. Pressure to perform output, backlog of items to inspect, numerous things.

Now all in all Taurus must be doing a decent job of manufacturing and design otherwise Beretta would not have put Taurus's decocker on their 92/96 series, plus didn't Beretta have a huge problem with slide fatigue on the military M-9? Didn't hear them getting bashed left and right.

LanceRobbins24

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    South Bend
    I carry a P24/7 9mm regularly. I've put 1000+ rounds down range and can only think of 2 rounds that did not make it out of the barrel and it was due to cheap ammo, not the firearm. I inspected my firearm with a fine toothed comb before I plunked down my greenbacks. Everyone talks crap about Taurus, but I've never had any reason to not trust my life in its hands. Let the haters drink the hateraid....My 24/7 has earned my trust.

jsn_mooney

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    South Of Richmond
    I've had several Taurus pistols over the years and never had any problems- when a new shooter asks me about purchasing a handgun I always steer them towards a Taurus. IMHO for the money thry're hard to beat. Everybody makes a bad one every now and then.

Crystalship1

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 4, 2008
    Oaklandon, IN.
    I've had several Taurus pistols over the years and never had any problems- when a new shooter asks me about purchasing a handgun I always steer them towards a Taurus. IMHO for the money thry're hard to beat. Everybody makes a bad one every now and then.
    :+1: Agreed. And this comes from somebody who has a PT-145 Pro that just went back to the mother ship for the second time. :rolleyes:

But out of the many Taurus models I've owned this one has been the only problem child. :dunno:

newindy05

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2008
    I have two Taurus PT 24/7 Pro 45 & PT 24/7 Pro 40c and not one problem... over 1500 rounds in it.......:rockwoot::ar15:

dburkhead

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    I would simply like to point out that the OP still has exactly one post to his name. I doubt he's even read any of the responses here.

Top Bottom