• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    Trying to help a family member out...he wants to know what there is to know about this gun. I'm not familiar with it and don't want to steer him wrong.
    Can anybody give me a heads up on features, functions, good price (new and used)?
    The one in question is a 9mm and definitely used.
    Thanks.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    The Taurus PT92AF is basically a Beretta 92FS with the safety in the better position on the frame instead of the slide as Beretta uses. They have a better reputation than most Taurus models, again probably because they started with a great platform originally using Beretta tooling before changing and modernizing it.

Super easy takedown, a great pistol for someone learning semi-autos.

They are currently selling for between $300 and $400 or so based on what they come with and condition (as we would expect :) )

About the only complaint people have is the size. The Taurus like the Beretta is a full size pistol, but it points well and does an amazing job of fitting all size hands.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    To add a little hands on, I became a Beretta 92 series nut and I really can't explain why other than I was suckered in by their simple but elegant design, ease of maintenance and unbelievable accuracy. Because of that I had to get a Taurus PT92AF to be able to make a direct comparison between the two, and have to say the Taurus compares favorably to the Beretta but at a lower price.

J10

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 3, 2010
    Morgan County
    Great gun. It is reliable, 15 rounds is a nice size mag, nice feel, DA/SA. I've only had it stovepipe one casing out of over 800 round i have put through mine and that has been the only FTF. Seems well built, it is one of my favorites.

The ONLY bad thing i have to say about it is that due to the clearance between the barrel and slide, it's a little on the loose side, which helps it fire and cycle correctly even when covered in mud but means that it does not have the same accuracy as most guns. Example, i have not been able to achieve better than a 6" pattern at 25 yards. Not great, but not bad in my opinion.

For what they cost. Your friend will not regret the purchase.
    I paid $350 for mine and it was in about 90% condition.

Last edited:

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I have a PT 99 (same as 92 but with adjustable sights) that's about 20 years old now and I'm the first/only owner. Very nice gun, never any malfunctions. I had it Black T'd many years ago, so I'll never part with it. I don't carry it, due to size, but its a great gun.

sporter

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    Southern, Indiana
    You might want to check into the Beretta 92 copy that ATI imports from Turkey/MKE.

It has real deal steel parts not MIM parts like the Taurus. I would rate the quality of the MKE over the Taurus products any day of the week. Other wise I would purchase the Beretta.

CDNN has the compact version (not really that much smaller) for $299 right now.

Kagnew

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Columbus
    Trying to help a family member out...he wants to know what there is to know about this gun. I'm not familiar with it and don't want to steer him wrong.
    Can anybody give me a heads up on features, functions, good price (new and used)?
    The one in question is a 9mm and definitely used.
    Thanks.

I have a PT92AFS which I absolutely love. It's a big booger, but surprisingly comfortable to shoot.

Top Bottom