• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GrgaHines

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2018
    I have a Taurus Public Defender that Hides until I call for it. It fits my hand like a glove, problem it is a little heavy. says made in Brazil , 2"barrel 2 1/2" chamber. The Judge! Is there another revolver that has this same handgrip

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Since the first time I saw this gun, I wondered why anyone would have anything else since the 410 shotgun round is used (3 or 4 slug seems perfect).
    I had a chance to trade my Sig Sauer 1911-22 for it last Fall and I couldn't pass it up, coming out with only having only $250 invested after the trade and taking the ammo in consideration that came with it, and maybe only $225 (memory).

Unlike you, after firing it I had to order another grip so I could get 3 fingers instead of only two, and love it now for its purpose.

Dino Bravo

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Nov 20, 2015
    Cumberland
    Since the first time I saw this gun, I wondered why anyone would have anything else since the 410 shotgun round is used (3 or 4 slug seems perfect)

No place to practice with one. Indoor ranges do not allow .410 or shotguns in general, the shotgun range at Fishers only allows shotguns, not a revolver with shotgun shells.

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    364   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    I had a PD I won in a raffle but never shot it. Also owned briefly a S&W Governor. larger but much nicer, 6 shot, and handled .45 acp. Every time I see one for sale I am tempted but know it is really a range toy.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    No place to practice with one. Indoor ranges do not allow .410 or shotguns in general, the shotgun range at Fishers only allows shotguns, not a revolver with shotgun shells.

1. I guess they just assumed my loud bang was a large caliber of another shell, although, Point Blank does allow rifles on the #11-#20, anyway.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I had a PD I won in a raffle but never shot it. Also owned briefly a S&W Governor. larger but much nicer, 6 shot, and handled .45 acp. Every time I see one for sale I am tempted but know it is really a range toy.

1. Love to have a SS in the Governor, but since I only have $225 or $250 in my Public Defender, I'll behave myself. For now. :laugh:

GrgaHines

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2018
    I wasn't really wanting another Taurus, but if I cannot find another to fit I may have to rethink. I really really want a cz 75 BD. Do not have one (heartbreak)! Gonna build my own backstop and shoot whenever I want! Or whenever I can get ammo. Family frowns, I smile:laugh:

GrgaHines

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2018
    Do not know if I ever noticed splatter pattern. Backstop right now is tree trunks sawed in wood size links and stacked 8ft high and 8ft wide with forest in background.

Last edited:

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    What does the spread pattern on one of those look like? Just curious

1. It's been awhile since I took mine to the range, and I was using a 4 slug type of round and it was fairly snug in the groupings I thought, but I don't have experience with shotgun shells, so I don't know what to compare it to.
    2. I wish I knew where my notes where, but It was a grouping at 30 feet that was better than if I was firing 4 separate rounds. :lmfao:

IndyLongColt

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2013
    Morgan County
    I don't own one anymore and haven't followed The Judge for some time, but Federal 410 buck with the special shot cup held pretty tight groups. At the time a guy with the handle "shooting the bull" did lots of tests with Judges. I'm sure a Google search for him would find that info.

https://youtu.be/yNVXuspaJtE

Last edited:

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    :popcorn:

I was in a couple LGS's today and fondled a public defender (I think, maybe a judge). It had some polymer coating similar to a Ruger LCR. Anyway, I almost pulled the trigger and bought it but had some concern with how small the grip was.
    The other reason I didn't buy it was...well I had to listen to the voice of reason (my wife was the reason) lol
    But, I want one...if I can get it cheap. Doddg- when you wanna sell :stickpoke: :lmfao:

Last edited:

ru44mag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013
    Hickok 45 has a nice and informative video on the Judge. If someone decided they wanted to use it for self defense, it appears the 45 Long Colt is the winner. The 00 or 000 Buck would work at close range, but seems like a range toy would be it's best use.

Nam1911

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 8, 2015
    Evansville
    I have always wanted one because there aren't any other 45 caliber revolvers with the carry dimensions of the judge. I like the small grip and 5 shot capacity. I would not carry 410 though. I would load it with 5 rounds of 45LC slugs.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Hickok 45 has a nice and informative video on the Judge. If someone decided they wanted to use it for self defense, it appears the 45 Long Colt is the winner. The 00 or 000 Buck would work at close range, but seems like a range toy would be it's best use.

I've seen the results of .410 from one and it's completely unimpressive. I'd rate it higher than a .25, only because it's probably a reliable suicide gun if you mouth it.

If I absolutely had to carry one, and I can't think of any scenario where I would ever voluntarily do so, it'd be with .45 Colt. Maybe 225 gr wadcutters, as I don't know if any HP load expands from the short barrel. If a reliable expanding load exists, the 185 gr silvertip supposedly worked well from duty sized revolvers back when police carried such a thing.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    I have been so waiting for the squirrel to reply to this thread.....

Don't listen to him...He has a double western rig with six inch Judges on both hips and a Circuit Judge as his go to rifle in a scabbard on the side of his patrol go kart....

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Here's a pic I took at the trailer park in Austin...:)

4a1abda1660ae4c50621147921866df975669368.jpg

Here I am driving the Austin Paddy Wagon taking two drunks down to the jail that BBI busted.....

CUvtkvdW4AAcoTI.jpg:large

Last edited:

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I always thought it would be good to have as a tackle box gun. Something that could be handy should the need arise to take care of a snake or maybe an opossum when I'm sitting on a bank drowning worms

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    :popcorn:

I was in a couple LGS's today and fondled a public defender (I think, maybe a judge). It had some polymer coating similar to a Ruger LCR. Anyway, I almost pulled the trigger and bought it but had some concern with how small the grip was.
    The other reason I didn't buy it was...well I had to listen to the voice of reason (my wife was the reason) lol
    But, I want one...if I can get it cheap. Doddg- when you wanna sell :stickpoke: :lmfao:

1. I had the same experience and you should be concerned about the grip: I ordered a kinder, gentler , bigger one as soon as I got home from the range and it now resides in that secret home hiding place.
    2. I would really wrestle selling it. I have my Smith 4" revolver for home defense, and now the Taurus Judge Public Defender: don't need both, but I'm going to ignore that for the moment. I can't fathom getting rid of my revolver Smith SS for home defense, but in my inexperience I think the 410 shotgun shells with 3-4 slugs in it is perfect for home defense (or CC if you had the room for it b/c I would not need anything for distance but w/i yards).

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis

I have always wanted one because there aren't any other 45 caliber revolvers with the carry dimensions of the judge. I like the small grip and 5 shot capacity. I would not carry 410 though. I would load it with 5 rounds of 45LC slugs.

I've seen the results of .410 from one and it's completely unimpressive. I'd rate it higher than a .25, only because it's probably a reliable suicide gun if you mouth it.

If I absolutely had to carry one, and I can't think of any scenario where I would ever voluntarily do so, it'd be with .45 Colt. Maybe 225 gr wadcutters, as I don't know if any HP load expands from the short barrel. If a reliable expanding load exists, the 185 gr silvertip supposedly worked well from duty sized revolvers back when police carried such a thing.

1. It sounds like I have alot to learn and don't understand the ballistics of the situation.
    2. I ASS UMED that 3-4 slugs would be better than 1.
    3. Is is b/c the slugs won't penetrate? I didn't think expansion like a hollow point would matter since the 3-4 slugs would do more than 1 hollow point expnading.
    4. Please have mercy on my ignorance. Where is gmcttr when I need him to explain? :lmfao:(that was really funny if you knew my dry eccentric humor that evades comprehension my mere mortals: it take a minimum of 140 IQ to a max of 160 IQ) There I go again: I crack me up! :lol2: I just can't help myself (my wife and son don't think I'm funny or so they say, but they laugh alot around me, but my daughter thinks I am, so I can live with myself. :rofl:

Top Bottom