• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • .452browning

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    I replaced the hammer and trigger reset springs in my aunts identical Taurus model 650 revolvers. On one of them I noticed the cylinder lock pin (I believe that is what it is called. Or maybe a mainspring center pin?) was shorter than the other. I took the assembly apart and they were 2 different lengths. One was .597 and the one in question was .566 in length. The shorter of the two appeared to have been filed down for some reason. The longer pin was at a high polish and the shorter more of a scratchy look.

The lock pin being shorter causes the cylinder take down button to be crunchy and not as definite as the original revolver.

These are both brand new from factory (however the revolver in question was serviced prior by a family friend who didn't do a good job. In fact he stretched and clipped the original hammer spring in an attempt to lighten the trigger pull. This didn't work out.)

So does anyone know where I can obtain the specs for length on the cylinder locking pin to be positive this is the problem? Taurus is closed for the night....

Thanks!

Item in question is small pin 3rd from left.
    51167F73_zps8d200764.jpg

comparison with larger pin
    24860EF7_zpsa498d2fb.jpg

5F36BFD3_zpsa8332f1f.jpg

Last edited:

KPierce

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 7, 2008
    Jeffersonville
    You can go over the parts listed in the exploded view on page 17 and then check what the part is called on page 26 here - http://www.taurususa.com/pdf/revolver-manual.pdf

You can also check this page - 650 Accessories | Numrich Gun Parts

Either of the above should get you the name of the actual part you're asking about. As to the correct length, I am not certain of anywhere that may list what it should be. Sorry I can't offer more help.

.452browning

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    You can go over the parts listed in the exploded view on page 17 and then check what the part is called on page 26 here - http://www.taurususa.com/pdf/revolver-manual.pdf

You can also check this page - 650 Accessories | Numrich Gun Parts

Either of the above should get you the name of the actual part you're asking about. As to the correct length, I am not certain of anywhere that may list what it should be. Sorry I can't offer more help.

Thanks for the Taurus website! Much better than numrich's. It's definitely called a center pin part number 3 on page 17. Now I just need to find the specs for length. Guess a long wait on Taurus customer support line is due for tomorrow.

KPierce

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 7, 2008
    Jeffersonville
    Glad that the info I posted proved useful on identifying the part by proper name. Just wish I could have found proper length info for you. But I am sure Taurus can provide you the info you need.

Top Bottom