• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • qualitytym

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 25, 2009
    Porter County
    Not being a Taurus fan, I was wondering what opinions of their steel frame models. I've been looking at different 1911"s and theirs seems decent. Also, their Baretta clones look nice? Do they work? :dunno:

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Hamilton County
    I have a taurus pt 1911 and I really like it....esp for the price. I am not a big fan of taurus in general but like the 1911....maybe Im just lucky....we will see what others say.

swmp9jrm

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 19, 2008
    NCO
    I have a PT-1911 with many, many rounds through it. It's been 100% since I took it out of the box. It's most assuredly not a top shelf 1911, but it's a good gun at a good price. I also have three brothers who have them, and all of them will tell you the same thing.

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    Have no issues with the 1911 from a unprofessional builder's standpoint, but a few things:

Their internal parts quality is decent, but not super. I had one that was just the factory slide, barrel and frame, everything else replaced. Ran well, but had issues with factory parts (sear bent, disconnector sheared, etc...). Their barrels, IMHO, are NOT bad for the cost, their throats were nice and soft in profile for lead.

The other gripe is one I had seemed to be fitted by a person who learned 1911 building from Brolin: the barrel rode the lower lug pretty hard. Replaced it with a Kart barrel (fitted it myself) and didn't have issues. Sold it to my father!

Their steel "seems" soft, but it's still a forged 1911 (one I had peened funny in some areas with 18.5 lbs spring). A Springer has better parts quality, but not necessarily the accutriments the Taurus has (sight cuts, beavertail cut frame, etc...). To me, a 1911 is a personal gun, not a slap special like a Glock (sorry couldnt resist :D ). Building up a gun with parts YOU select is the key in my mind. Buying one outright is strange to me. :D A stainless Springer GI, used, some parts bought online and you would have a gun with better quality internals, decent barrel and better resale value. :twocents:

shortyforty

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 1, 2011
    middlebury
    the berretta clones are made in the same plant by the same employees who once upon a time made the berrettas that brazils government ordered,sold all the equipment and designs to taurus when the contract ended

JohnP82

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I have had nothing but positive experiences with the many Taurus firearms I have fired. I only own one Taurus at this time, a m85 .38 spl revolver. I have had it for several years and love it. I hace fired dozens of 24/7 models, pt millenium series, pt 22, 709, 740, model 92, the 1911, and others, and they have all been nice shooters and reliable.

As far as the Beretta clones, IMO they are good for a clone. Sure if you compare them side by side the Beretta will have a little better fit and finish, but the Taurus is just as functional. Just my :twocents:

LPMan59

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    South of Heaven
    one thing i like about the pt92/99is that the it has a frame mounted safety that allows for condition 1 carry. the DA trigger on my pt99 was awful.

Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    As I have said repeatedly on this forum, my 709 works great. My recently acquired 24/7 is extremely accurate, very comfortable to shoot and reliable on most ammo.

When I bought the 24/7 from an INGO member, I also received about 500 rounds of 9mm lead ammo. I assumed the ammo would work in the 24/7 but I was wrong. The ammo was (is) very sticky to the touch and leaves the weapon very dirty when fired. After less than one mag (17rds) the 24/7 slide will not close completely, leaving the weapon out of battery. Initially I could give the slide a firm smack and it would return to battery for the next shot. However, it would jam again after each subsequent shot. After each subsequent shot more force was required to ram the slide home. I finally gave up on firing that ammo in the 24/7 and returned to Remington and Winchester White Box ammo. The 24/7 performed flawlessly with the different ammo, even before I cleaned up the debris from firing the lead ammo.

I concluded that the 24/7 is a fine weapon, but it needs cleaner ammo than the sticky lead stuff.

Not to thread jack, but if anyone has suggestions on how to remove the sticky stuff from the cartridges I will be very grateful. The ammo looks like Tulamo stuff, but there are no markings on the cartridge to indicate its manufacturer.

FWIW, the ammo works great in my G26. Fires every time and the Glock eats it just fine. However, a more experienced gunner advised me that the lead ammo will destroy the unique rifling on the Glock barrel, so I will no longer run the ammo through the G26. I may try it in my 709, but I doubt the 709 will eat it. Suggestions on cleaning the gunky goo off the cartridge will be greatly appreciated.

SubicWarrior1988

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Nov 18, 2009
    central
    I've historically avoided Taurus because of various poor reviews with different models, however, I own the PT92 (Beretta clone) and have to say that I'm extremely pleased. I was looking for a metal pistol, DA/SA, External safety with decocker on a budget. This really brought me to only a couple of choices of which the 92 was one. I have the stainless finish and honestly, it's very nice. My favorite feature of the Taurus PT92 is the frame mounted safety/decocker, very ergonomically friendly. The pistol fires, feeds, extracts and ejects flawlessly. Break down is simple and the internals appear to be very well made. It's early yet, but at 300-400 used price, it's really hard to not at least give this pistol a chance. All long term reviews have tended to show the PT92 as an extremely reliable, durable side arm. This particular model is made at the old Beretta plant in Brazil, which Taurus bought in 1980.

That's my limited input on the Taurus. :twocents: If anything changes, I'll post again and share the experience.

Drakkule

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Butler,IN. 46721
    I have owned 6 or 7 Taurus pistols, and have never had a problem with any of them, my father has one as his CC, there are a few in the family, and no one has had any problems with them.

SubicWarrior1988

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Nov 18, 2009
    central
    Here is a "top 25" list of 9's under 600 bucks. Again, I will say that the best pistol is the one that the individual is comfortable with, reliable and functions flawlessly. The Taurus PT92 comes in at #4 on this list. Again, this is just an internet opinion to be taken with a grain of salt, like all internet opinions.

The Best Nines - Best 9mm Pistol Site handgun review test gun dealer auction

BlueEagle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    Same as above. I own 4 or 5, (can't recall right now,) and several buddies own two or three each, and my father has one, and my aunt has two....nobody has had any issues out of them.

Now, if you go back 10 or 15 years, their quality control was a little spotty; thats when you'll start to see people saying that they don't like them and they'll never buy them. But I've never had an issue out of any of mine. Plus, its got an unlimited lifetime warranty; if it has issues, send it back so they'll fix it.

Top Bottom