• ...and so much more!
  • doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I was firing the gun at the range today and the magazine fell out.
    The button that you push to release the magazine had almost fallen out.
    The button came right out (being pushed out 2-3 times more than normal.
    It came right out with the spring that is under it.
    The end of the button (which extends through the gun to the other side), had threads on it.
    When I pushed it back in (spring and button), it looked like end of the "button" should screw in on the other side, but there was nothing for it to screw into, or there should be a "nut" to screw into.

I looked and didn't see anything that had fallen/come off, but I suppose I'm still missing a small part that holds it together.
    I'm sure it is an easy fix for someone who had parts for the Taurus.

Any suggestions.
    I can add pics if anyone needs the visual.

Mine was bought off a member here who got it from his Dad, so I suppose it was from the 70s-80s (has wood handles or fake wood).

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    Is it a PT-22? I'm not sure that they were made that long ago. I have one that I bought new in the last few years. I haven't had any issues with it other than being very picky about ammo. I tried Remington Thunderbolts in it first and they wouldn't fit in the barrel. Found others that worked and just use it for plinking or carrying while working in my flower beds in the summer.

Taurus has a lifetime warranty so you could always send it to them and see what they say...should fix it for free. They are pretty busy right now with all of the settlement pistols that were returned from the class action deal. It might be worth a phone call to them to inquire...they do have a tech support option on their phone system.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Is it a PT-22? If so here is the diagram and many parts to purchase... Might be part #31 ?

https://www.gunpartscorp.com/gun-manufacturer/taurus/auto-pistols-tau/pt-22

https://www.gunpartscorp.com/products/567790

1. I mentioned that it was from the 70s or 80s since I knew they call the "current" one PT22,
    but I didn't think mine was.
    2. I'll look on the barrel (I was too lazy when I got home late and didn't have dinner until 7:30, to get out of my chair and go look!
    3. When it comes to the past, I'll bet it is the same.
    4. Another thing: the barrel and the "back of the gun" are separated instead of the barrel meeting the "back of the gun."

Is it a PT-22? I'm not sure that they were made that long ago. I have one that I bought new in the last few years. I haven't had any issues with it other than being very picky about ammo. I tried Remington Thunderbolts in it first and they wouldn't fit in the barrel. Found others that worked and just use it for plinking or carrying while working in my flower beds in the summer.

Taurus has a lifetime warranty so you could always send it to them and see what they say...should fix it for free. They are pretty busy right now with all of the settlement pistols that were returned from the class action deal. It might be worth a phone call to them to inquire...they do have a tech support option on their phone system.

5. If it not something simple like replacing a screw that has fallen out, I will, but I know they will keep it for months and months, base on what people are saying.

Quit buying Taurus!

6. I try to keep an open attitude: I'll never take a chance on a semi-automatic from them again, though!
    7. I made an exception on this simple design of the tip-up barrel: anyone can lose a screw. :dunno:
    8. I love my 971 Taurus Magnum: massive hulk of a gun like I like for the range. :laugh:

223 Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    201   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A
    I would call Taurus, they should pay shipping both ways.
    I did a google search for that issue, and got bored watching about the Taurus PT 22.
    Taurus does have a lifetime warranty on their firearms, it may be a common issue, or it could be if there is a threaded portion of the screw,it may just need a little purple or blue loc-tite. Nothing stronger than blue. The purple may be harder to find, it was made for small screws, such as those found on scope rings etc.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Looking at the parts diagram, it looks pretty straight forward as far as putting it back together.

1. Hey Gunner! I recognize your moniker!
    2. I'm at work, so I can't look into it, but tonight I intend to do so.
    3. I have a meeting after school and another at 6:30, so hopefully I'll do it before or after the meeting this evening! (unless I get lazy).

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Is it a PT-22? If so here is the diagram and many parts to purchase... Might be part #31 ?

1. I have a quiet moment and I didn't get blocked out of the website and it is part #31: $10 and probably shipping: crap!
    2. I looked around to see if I could find in: I should have looked more.
    3. I'll look around in the case where I keep the .22 Taurus and Beretta that was open, but it should have been laying on top of the foam.
    4. I have only about a 1% hope that is in "around."
    5. I noticed on my brand-new S/W M/P Compact 22 that hte end of the barrel was a little loose (for a suppressor, I suppose) so I'd better be careful it doesn't work loose and I lose it having to buy one ( I read about it and checked mine! )

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    1. I have a quiet moment and I didn't get blocked out of the website and it is part #31: $10 and probably shipping: crap!
    2. I looked around to see if I could find in: I should have looked more.
    3. I'll look around in the case where I keep the .22 Taurus and Beretta that was open, but it should have been laying on top of the foam.
    4. I have only about a 1% hope that is in "around."
    5. I noticed on my brand-new S/W M/P Compact 22 that hte end of the barrel was a little loose (for a suppressor, I suppose) so I'd better be careful it doesn't work loose and I lose it having to buy one ( I read about it and checked mine! )

on #5, is it just the thread protector? If so, should be able to just tighten it back up.

Last edited:

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    1. Part #5 has nothing to do with the magazine release, so maybe I don't understand your point (#5 looks like the "firing pin").

Was talking about your point 5... you like to number your lines, so was using your reference points. This was about the M&P:

If there is a thread protector on there just tighten it up a bit. If you lose the thread protector it shouldn't be a big deal. but of course, the threads could get boogered up.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Was talking about your point 5... you like to number your lines, so was using your reference points. This was about the M&P:
    If there is a thread protector on there just tighten it up a bit. If you lose the thread protector it shouldn't be a big deal. but of course, the threads could get boogered up.

1. :ugh:

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    I have seen rubber washers used on thread protectors to let it be tighter and not work out loose. Then again this was a contender barrel with no real chance of overheating the rubber.

Sorry for your loss.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis

SnoopLoggyDog

I'm a Citizen, not a subject
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Warsaw
    Have owned two different PT22s over the years. Both of them broke within the first year of ownership. Shipped them back to Taurus for repair. As soon as they returned, they were sold pronto.

Top Bottom