• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hog slayer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2015
    Camp Lejeune, NC
    I've got a long barrel 7 shot Taurus 22 tracker that my kids like to shoot from time to time. Lately it's become unreliable in that every so often you cannot get the cylinder to rotate, either by DA or S.A.. And then, the magic happens and it just works again. Any ideas?

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Especially since it is a .22, I'm going to guess the issue is fouling.
    Probably have a carbon build-up around.in the pawl area.
    Likely just needs a very good cleaning internally.

hog slayer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2015
    Camp Lejeune, NC
    Spring cleaning complete (will readily admit that revolvers are new to me) by removing grip and side plate, soaking with foaming cleaner, lightly scrubbing with soft bristle brush (tooth brush), spraying off initial cleaner until dry, light oil all contact points and back together. No joy. Didn't make it thru a 50 round box.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Spring cleaning complete (will readily admit that revolvers are new to me) by removing grip and side plate, soaking with foaming cleaner, lightly scrubbing with soft bristle brush (tooth brush), spraying off initial cleaner until dry, light oil all contact points and back together. No joy. Didn't make it thru a 50 round box.

Sounds like the Tracker needs a vacation in Miami.

hog slayer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2015
    Camp Lejeune, NC
    I got it for a song from a naval officer as he was making another change of station. I cannot complain. I've got no shortage of 22 pistols. Although, I did see a pretty snazzy ruger DA 22lr at the LOS. I don't have any ruger DA revolvers.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    My .17 HMR Tracker was damaging the casing where the hammer struck the round. It molested it so bad the Cylinder would lock up. It would dfire 3 or 4 and then the damaged casings would lock it up.
    Took out some hammer spring pressure and all was well.

Look at the spent casings.

If not this then the timing mechanism might have something in it or it is failing.

hog slayer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2015
    Camp Lejeune, NC
    It seems to me that the round attempting to rotate to the 6o clock is "catching" or sticking. This might be a kitchen table gunsmith chore. I've got fine polishing stones in my Amazon cart.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    Make sure the star extractor is very clean. Especially underneath. If it can't seat all the way against the cylinder, it can cause issues.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    It seems to me that the round attempting to rotate to the 6o clock is "catching" or sticking. This might be a kitchen table gunsmith chore. I've got fine polishing stones in my Amazon cart.

Is the spent rounds defaced. Are they dented to the point of hitting the frame. If so they are being struck to hard by the hammer. Do not remove material until you sort this out.

hog slayer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2015
    Camp Lejeune, NC
    Not sure about the warranty, but I'll know soon enough.

Correction. They are good for it:
    http://www.taurususa.com/repair-policy.cfm

The Taurus Unlimited Lifetime Repair Policy™ is just that. The lifetime of the gun...not the buyer. This is the first warranty of its type in the industry. No other manufacturer has the confidence to extend this kind of offer. Except us. We know how good our guns are, and we are not afraid to stand behind them... for a lifetime.

Simply put, our unprecedented repair policy stands firmly behind every firearm imported or manufactured by Taurus International. The full terms are we will repair your Taurus firearm FREE OF CHARGE for the lifetime of the firearm

We at Taurus are totally committed to the very highest standards of quality, dependability, and most of all, customer satisfaction. Our Unlimited Lifetime Repair Policy assures you of that commitment. Should you need to take advantage of our repair policy, please follow the directions on the shipping instruction link and our work order form, which you can print out and send in with your firearm. We don't expect you to need it, but in the rare instance that you do, it's all right here for you.

Our Unlimited Lifetime Repair Policy extends to all Taurus firearms imported or manufactured by Taurus International Manufacturing, Inc.

This warranty does not cover grips, sights, accessories, cosmetic defects after one year, or damage caused by customer abuse at any time. Taurus will not be responsible for these items

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Not sure about the warranty, but I'll know soon enough.

Correction. They are good for it:
    Taurus International Manufacturing Inc

The Taurus Unlimited Lifetime Repair Policy™ is just that. The lifetime of the gun...not the buyer. This is the first warranty of its type in the industry. No other manufacturer has the confidence to extend this kind of offer. Except us. We know how good our guns are, and we are not afraid to stand behind them... for a lifetime.

Simply put, our unprecedented repair policy stands firmly behind every firearm imported or manufactured by Taurus International. The full terms are we will repair your Taurus firearm FREE OF CHARGE for the lifetime of the firearm

We at Taurus are totally committed to the very highest standards of quality, dependability, and most of all, customer satisfaction. Our Unlimited Lifetime Repair Policy assures you of that commitment. Should you need to take advantage of our repair policy, please follow the directions on the shipping instruction link and our work order form, which you can print out and send in with your firearm. We don't expect you to need it, but in the rare instance that you do, it's all right here for you.

Our Unlimited Lifetime Repair Policy extends to all Taurus firearms imported or manufactured by Taurus International Manufacturing, Inc.

This warranty does not cover grips, sights, accessories, cosmetic defects after one year, or damage caused by customer abuse at any time. Taurus will not be responsible for these items

I thought they would stand good for this.

I have owned 2 trackers both with 8" barrels in .17Hmr and they were tack drivers.
    Had the over sprung hammer issue with the stainless one but it was an easy fix.

Both were spot on tack drivers.

Top Bottom