• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • stejennings7065

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2009
    Indianapolis, IN
    My girlfriend wants a revolver. At the gun show she fell in love with the Taurus Ultra-lite model 817 .38SPL. It is also a good price for her and liked the warranty. I wanted her to go with the S&W model 637 .38SPL because of the brand and they look identical. The difference in price was about $100.

How do these guns compare to each other to best help her make a decision.

Taurus- Taurus International Manufacturing Inc
    moz-screenshot.jpg

S&W- Product: Model 637 Revolver - Pink Grips

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Cathy and I have owned a number of Taurus guns, and always felt we got our money's worth. They've always worked very well for us.

That said, Smith's are better. They are better made, have better triggers, are smoother operating, and have more consistent quality. How much better? About $100 :)

If I'm looking at a new Taurus and a new Smith and have the extra dollars, I'll buy the Smith. If I'm looking at a new Taurus and a used Smith with an unknown history, or just don't have or want to spend the extra $$$, I'd be perfectly comfortable with the Taurus.

But have her dry fire both before buying...

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    Honestly, I like my trigger on my Taurus better than any Smith I've shot. Taurus has more quality issues lately - I've helped fix three at the local gun shop lately. If you do decide to buy a Taurus, look it over carefully.

BTW - I carry a Taurus .38 daily.

Buckaroo

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    NWI
    Cathy and I have owned a number of Taurus guns, and always felt we got our money's worth. They've always worked very well for us.

That said, Smith's are better. They are better made, have better triggers, are smoother operating, and have more consistent quality. How much better? About $100 :)

If I'm looking at a new Taurus and a new Smith and have the extra dollars, I'll buy the Smith. If I'm looking at a new Taurus and a used Smith with an unknown history, or just don't have or want to spend the extra $$$, I'd be perfectly comfortable with the Taurus.

I agree and when I bought a snubbie I got a Taurus 605 then had to send it back which the LGS skrewed up and so I actually received another new one.

Since then I had the hammer bobbed and have been very satisfied.

Buckaroo

Redskinsfan

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    I'm with Joe

:yesway:

I agree with all that Joe has said above. We have four Taurus handguns in my family and two Smiths. One Taurus had to go back and one Smith had to go back, both new and under warranty (yes, I know that Taurus' warranty is lifetime, Smith's is not)

Terry

x10

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Martinsville, IN
    My opinion it really depends on the amount of rounds put down range, Most carry guns don't get shot like a target guns, when I compare snubbies I would go with the taurus if its going to get shot like my smith model 25 I have to give the nod to the smith, well intentioned people bring the taurus guns that equate to the smith target model and they just don't measure up.

Don't get me wrong I own a couple taurus' but none of them are the weekly match guns, also while the t's don't shoot bad they just don't hold the groups that the Smiths do.

But most T's shoot better than thier owners,

thats my 2 cents

Dryden

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2009
    N.E. Indianapolis
    My wife has carried a S&W 642 for about a year and a half. She practices with it and is very accurate at 20 - 25 feet. She has no trouble with recoil, even with +P ammo.
    She's a gardener.... she's tough.:D

PappyD

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 24, 2008
    Westfield
    Saw this thread and wanted to chime in with 2 cents.

I agree w Joe on the Smith's being better overall.

However, the Model 85 that my wife uses has been great. It's not a range gun, so it doesn't get a lot of rounds through it and certainly not a lot of +P stuff. But it does get the "point and shoot" practice from time to time.

I may have a "good copy" in that my experience with Taurus is limited to just one model and may be an exceptional one at that.

I would buy one again without hesitation.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    My primary carry gun for years was my Taurus .357 revolver. Never have had a single issue or problem with it. That's after 22 years, too. When it came time to upgrade to a .45 I didn't hesitate buy a Taurus. My car gun's a S&W and I have no problems with it, either. All in all Taurus has been very good for and to me.

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    Taurus just isn't as accurate as a smith & wesson, sorry!

How much of a difference are you talking here? Are you saying that the groups aren't as tight, like say an inch difference, or are you saying that it is a big difference, like, missing center mass at 10 feet?

I ask because I was looking that the Taurus Ultralite for my wife. She is finally coming around and thinking of getting her LTCH.

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    How much of a difference are you talking here? Are you saying that the groups aren't as tight, like say an inch difference, or are you saying that it is a big difference, like, missing center mass at 10 feet?

I ask because I was looking that the Taurus Ultralite for my wife. She is finally coming around and thinking of getting her LTCH.

Cathy could keep all her hits on a paper plate at 10 yards when she had her ultralight 85. Bet she'd be able to do so further out now that she's had more experience. IOW, it was more accurate than most people who tried to shoot it. A snubby requires some patience and practice.

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    Cathy could keep all her hits on a paper plate at 10 yards when she had her ultralight 85. Bet she'd be able to do so further out now that she's had more experience. IOW, it was more accurate than most people who tried to shoot it. A snubby requires some patience and practice.

Thanks Joe.

Bisley Man

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Whitestown
    Let her choose

My girlfriend wants a revolver. At the gun show she fell in love with the Taurus Ultra-lite model 817 .38SPL. It is also a good price for her and liked the warranty. I wanted her to go with the S&W model 637 .38SPL because of the brand and they look identical. The difference in price was about $100.

Let me give some friendly advice stemming from 29 years of marriage. GF wants a revolver.It's not about what YOU want, it's about what SHE wants! Right Pammi? If SHE "fell in love" with the Taurus, let her buy that. Use the $100 saved for holster, ammo, or training.

jason conley

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    WEST SIDE OF INDY

I had a taurus .38 snub nose it could not hit a bucket at less than 10 yards. My dad had his smith it could not miss the bucket. I took the Taurus back and bought a smith that was 10 years ago. I still have the smith but maybe taurus has gotten better dunno.

Top Bottom