• ...and so much more!
  • Goober135

Expert
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 15, 2011
    Valparaiso
    Hello! I had two quick questions involving NFA tax stamps. If I understand correctly, when you fill out the forms, you need to include the serial number of the specific NFA item. This means you would have to purchase said item first. My first question is, if you for some reason get denied, do most businesses refund you all your money or only a percentage? Secondly, considering the average wait time to physically receive you stamp is generally 3-5 months, do any stores offer any type of lay away where you can make payments on an item assuming you have it paid off by the time your stamp arrives?

Thanks!
    John

mjrducky

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    63   0   0
    Jun 16, 2009
    North Liberty, IN
    Hello! I had two quick questions involving NFA tax stamps. If I understand correctly, when you fill out the forms, you need to include the serial number of the specific NFA item. This means you would have to purchase said item first. My first question is, if you for some reason get denied, do most businesses refund you all your money or only a percentage? Secondly, considering the average wait time to physically receive you stamp is generally 3-5 months, do any stores offer any type of lay away where you can make payments on an item assuming you have it paid off by the time your stamp arrives?

Thanks!
    John

Yes you must know the serial number of the item your purchasing or purchased. Most dealers require the money upfront. I have heard rumors of some taking payments but never seen it myself. It's probably more common with individuals selling. If Denied then you will most certaintly loose some portion of the amount paid. If you clear a 4473 check then you should clear the NFA check. Only you know that answer :D.

mms

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 9, 2009
    Greenwood
    the rule of thumb is if you can buy a handgun, and nfa is legal in your state then you are good to go

but if for what ever reason you arnt you most likley already know your not.
    and i wouldnt expect all of your money back, most yes all no

Goober135

Expert
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 15, 2011
    Valparaiso
    Don't worry, I own 3 handguns and they are all "clean". I have no reason to be denied for a NFA tax stamp. just a question out of mere curiosity. if anybody knows of a retailer that has a layaway plan, let me know! it would be awesome to be able to get my tax stamps to sent out right now and be able to pay it off in full by the time the stamp comes in.

hotrodtba

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jun 4, 2008
    Ossian
    Don't worry, I own 3 handguns and they are all "clean". I have no reason to be denied for a NFA tax stamp. just a question out of mere curiosity. if anybody knows of a retailer that has a layaway plan, let me know! it would be awesome to be able to get my tax stamps to sent out right now and be able to pay it off in full by the time the stamp comes in.

I highly doubt any dealer would let you make payments on an NFA purchase after the forms are mailed in. If for some reason it comes back approved and you haven't paid the item off yet, the dealer is now in a bad spot. If they would happen to have a compliance inspection, the ATF would be wanting to know why they have an item in their inventory that should have been transferred.

I could see putting an NFA item in layaway, and then once it's paid off, the paperwork is sent in.

revsaxon

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plano, TX
    I highly doubt any dealer would let you make payments on an NFA purchase after the forms are mailed in. If for some reason it comes back approved and you haven't paid the item off yet, the dealer is now in a bad spot. If they would happen to have a compliance inspection, the ATF would be wanting to know why they have an item in their inventory that should have been transferred.

I could see putting an NFA item in layaway, and then once it's paid off, the paperwork is sent in.

Most of the ones I have done are 100% down up front. In one case it was 50% down, 50% upon delivery. But that was from a dealer I had been buying from for 3 years, and he knew I wasnt going to screw him over.

JoshuaW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    South Bend, IN
    I think the only logical solution is 21st Century put out a store credit card!

If you find a dealer that will do a layaway, please let us know. I think hotrodtba hit the nail on the head though.

kevinj110

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 5, 2009
    home
    Can you buy a SBR , like a 10" barrel AR, with no lower and then buy and register the lower later?

What you said makes no sense, I think I get what you are asking, so here I go you could buy an upper in the style that you like or build one and not have a lower and it be just fine regardless of the barrels length. AR Uppers are not firearms they are not not sold as such. So you wouldn't be buying an SBR because its not a rifle because its not a firearm.

Shibby575

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2011
    NE IN
    I wouldn't buy a SBR upper without either having a SBR or pistol registered lower in your safe, or if you don't already have an AR. You'd be better off registering a lower or purchasing an AR pistol, then buying what you want. You can find yourself in a nasty situation owning an AR and having a 10" upper in the safe without having a registered lower. The likelihood is slim of getting caught, but a federal crime none the less.

7.62-5.56Plinker

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2011
    Portland, IN
    ive already bought my upper and lower, built them both, stored the upper at a familys residence, the SBR lower is in my safe. We are all waiting on the day i can let them eat.

Top Bottom