• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    Just finished filing all my income taxes.

Word of warning for all you Indiana residents. Indiana has changed how you can e-file this year.

If you qualify ($55k AGI or less OR you I-filed last year) you can use one of 3 programs available online (turbotax, H&R Block, or OLT) to file your Federal and State together for free.

If you use a different program or do not qualify, you will have to pay to file Indiana taxes electronically, or fill them out by hand and mail them in.

For instance, I use TAXACT for my Federal every year. Since I e-filed with TAXACT, I couldn't use the free e-file State offered by H&R.

Blah...

I don't know why they had to cancel the I-file system.

That's my rant for the day.

G_Stines

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 2, 2010
    Central Indiana
    I always use Turbo Tax to get it figured out and always E-file through them. I was planning on sitting down to do all that tonight so thanks for the heads up! There is someone here at work who was just asking about that because he had heard if from someone else as well. I hadn't heard that up to this point.

bradw266

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    I'm planning on working on my taxes this afternoon. Thanks for the timely information.

SideArmed

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 22, 2011
    I sat down with TT a couple of nights ago and had it all figured up, just need to fo ahead and file now. I guess it's still the same for TT users, right?

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    I use TurboTax for the Fed stuff, but the Indiana taxes are so comparatively simple, I just manually transfer the info over and mail them. I think the State addition for Turbotax is almost $20.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    There is also an age restriction on the "free" filing. The gf missed it by a couple of years, you only get to read about it. . . . . . . .I had to HEAR about it!!!:laugh::laugh::laugh:

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    So wait, you now have to pay the state to e-file? WTF?

Doesn't e-file make it faster & easier on the State to process the paperwork?

Yes, you have to pay your tax preparation software (assuming that's what you do) $15 - $20 for them to file your state return electronically.

UNLESS!! You use 1040 Federal returns and earn $55k AGI or less (or you used I-file last year), then you can use of the 3 companies, that IN worked out a deal with, to file your State and Federal taxes electronically for free.

Simple, right?

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    Also, if you are going to use last year's I-file as your qualification, you need to have your discount code that was emailed to you.

Top Bottom