• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • comm2679

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 27, 2017
    East Central
    Hi, I’ll be looking at purchasing my first Python in the coming days or weeks. I’ve been searching for a while and have settled on the 6” blued model. I’ve searched the web to see if I can find an accurate way to value a particular gun I’m looking at, and have not found much information. I normally turn it Gun Broker to get an idea, but it seems to be a tough market to get a good read on. Many auctions with 0 bids have starting prices of Buy it Now prices of around $3k and more, but those auctions appear to tend to sit and not move. Auctions with bids seem to be hovering in the $2k - $2.2k range with less than a day to go. One will end tonight that should help me a little bit.

Speaking in terms of the 6” blued models (not engraved, not crazy low serial numbered, not part of a commemorative set etc...) is there anything in particular I can look for to help me decide what a fair price is? Was the royal blue finish more deep and glossy during some years? Are certain years more desirable because of design changes, material changes etc?

Take care everyone,

comm2679

ROLEXrifleman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    NW Indiana
    There are no “ fair” prices in today’s market. And now factor in you are looking at one of the most collectible revolvers ever produced...... my advice would be find one in a condition to your liking and be prepared to pay. A “plain Jane” 6” blued in good condition will bring $1400-$1800 all day long. Again, this is shooter grade. Anything that has minimal rounds through it and is north of good condition will be easily $1800-$2200, add a box or even date I say NIB.... prices will reach $3k
    And let me again say, this is a plain Jane model, so to me that’s a mid 1980s through about late 90s.
    The bluest pythons I’ve seen were the late 50s through 60s. And I don’t consider those plane Jane. Good luck with your quest, bring the checkbook!

Jim McKalip

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 16, 2009
    Cumberland
    Churchmouse has had some very interesting and accurate comments on the Python. Hopefully he will direct you to his previous comments. I'm not smart enough to do this but you should find them one way or another. I have owned several Pythons over the years and have gotten rid of all of them but one. I have long since stopped being a Python fanboy.

ROLEXrifleman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    NW Indiana
    Pythons aren’t all that from a mechanical standpoint. If the OP wants to do his homework about that, I would encourage it as it may / may not sway him to continue down the python road. His post asked for opinions on price, so I won’t add opinion beyond that. I still own my fair share though.

comm2679

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 27, 2017
    East Central
    Thanks gents. I will certainly be bringing my checkbook. $1,800 - $2,200 was what I was expecting when I began my search for one in good condition. The one I’m looking at is early 70’s, looks to be in very nice condition from photos I’ve seen. Reportedly has only 3 cylinders fired through it. No box or paperwork and $2700 is the price.

ROLEXrifleman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    NW Indiana
    With only 18 rounds through it and in excellent shape that $2700 price tag is exactly in line with what I mentioned above. I’ve seen different degrees in the depth of the bluing in the 70s guns. The actions still remained excellent though. Offer $2500 and see if they go for it.
    If the economy is “hurt” now, these prices will only climb when it “bounces” back.

comm2679

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 27, 2017
    East Central
    I just watched the end of a Gun Broker auction for a 6” blued 1981 Python and it went for $2,175 plus $40 shipping. No box or paperwork. Condition looked outstanding and it appeared to have a very high polish under the blueing. Very rich and mirror-like dark finish. I’ll use that as my guide and see where I get.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    My opinions on these pistols is mainly about mechanicals and reliability. None of which are what this member is looking for.
    I wish him all the luck and happiness in his pursuit and possible ownership.
    These are some seriously handsome pistols. Beyond that.....I do not get it....:):

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    My opinions on these pistols is mainly about mechanicals and reliability. None of which are what this member is looking for.
    I wish him all the luck and happiness in his pursuit and possible ownership.
    These are some seriously handsome pistols. Beyond that.....I do not get it....:):
    Kinda like Kimbers.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Okay question. You get a python it's timing is off. What would it cost to get it fixed especially the older ones. Or does colt have lifetime warranty on those firearms?

Even Dirty Harry used Smith &Wesson!

ROLEXrifleman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    NW Indiana
    Pythons time and lock on the pull of the trigger, not on the cocking of the mechanism . For as much as I’ve heard of pythons being out of time over the last 21 years I’ve only seen 3 that actually were. And those had more miles on them than a 1984 Toyota Corolla.
    But to answer your question, the last one I sent in for repair was done for free with the exception of shipping to them. That was in 2002 though

wagyu52

Master
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    South of cob corner
    Had a Python itch 10-12 yrs ago. Found a nice 6” blued at Valpo gun show, looking at it, set it down, guy reached over my shoulder and snatched it up, was $1200
    Later I found a very nice 4” stainless at Lafayette show it was $2500 Guy that is my friend and customer happen to be there and was really wanting it, so he got that one.

was at my LGS, he was looking for me said he had something I really should consider
    F08ABAC1-3E96-445E-8BEB-EB95ECEE0451.jpeg
    Nickel 586 6” barrel

Way too nice To be carried, maybe a shorter barrel and stainless. In walked the 66 2.5” barrel
    CCB953CE-29A0-454A-9E56-56AAF98494C3.jpeg
    Maybe too short a barrel, especially with 357 how about a 66 3” barrel, just right.
    51BE362A-D428-44F7-8841-C6B38F939383.jpeg
    Less in all 3 guns than the stainless Python, not much more than the blued Python

Horsetrader

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 24, 2021
    Northern indiana
    I think yetti462 is on it , I love my 686 and can shoot it for a lot less money. I’m not good enough to notice a thousand plus difference in price.pythons are safe queens. Or for guys that know a lot more about guns than the average guy.

Top Bottom