Teach me the ways of Compact 1911s (Kimber Ultra Carry CDP II, et al)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • nalees

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 23, 2009
    West Lafayette, IN
    I saw a Kimber Ultra Carry CDP II w/ the CTC Lasergrips at the last 1500 and fell in love. It was super light compared to other 1911s that I had held, and it looked gorgeous. The price was fairly reasonable at around $950, however I didn't have that kind of $$$ on me.

Anyways, this opened my eyes to a whole new type of carry gun. I know absolutely nothing about 1911s, and I had always thought they were massive in size and weight. Could you guys throw out some other suggestions for guns comparable to the Ultra Carry CDP II in size/weight/reliability? I may keep saving for the Kimber, but if there are other budget-conscious alternatives... well, who am I to say no? :) :draw:

wtfd661

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    North East Indiana
    My first 1911 (but not my last or only one :)) was a Kimber Tactical Ultra II that I bought over 4 years ago, and has been my EDC since. It's a great gun. It also has an aluminum frame and is easy to CC and has been uber reliable (zero issue since day one). They can be expensive, but to me are worth it. My opinion is to save up and get what you want, but there are other manufacturers and models in the Ultra or compact syle. See if you can get an opportunity to shoot one and see how much you lke it.

60Driver

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 9, 2010
    Hamilton County
    By all accounts the Ultra Kimbers are VERY good small 1911's. With a short slide 1911 you probably want to save and get quality as this design (Officers length slide)requires good quality control to ensure reliability. I have read good things about the new Colt Defender but have no personal experience. Another option is a "CCO" (Kimber calls this "compact") type pistol, commander slide (4.25) on a smaller Officer's fame. This gives you a little more slide for reliabilty, velocity and sight radius with the concealability of the short Officers frame. Good friend swears by his!

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Since you said "budget conscious alternative," I'll mention that the Rock Island Armory compact 1911 is well worth a look. Not as pretty as the more expensive guns, I think the RIA 1911s are some of the best "bang for the buck" guns on the market today.

subtlesixer03

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 22, 2010
    just save your money for the kimber or a para. you will save yourself a lot of money down the road by doing so. if you have never fired one find one to shoot from a friend. compact 1911 that are light weight pack a punch and have heavy recoil compared to full size one. i you can handle compact glock 45s you should be fine though. also make shure you dry fire practice to remeber to flip that safty off.

airmotive

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 17, 2008
    I carry a Colt New Agent. My wife carries a Colt Defender. Both with CT laser grips and loaded with PowRBall 165 grain +P.

Both guns were occasionally picky about hollow point ammo, but have never had a single issue with feeding any ball ammo... Hence the move to the PowRBalls. Also, by the time you stuff the weapon with eight rounds, the difference between 165grain bullets and traditional 230 grain becomes noticeable....especially on the Colts' aluminum frames.

Both weapons are easy to shoot. I'm not sure about shooting all day with the +P Powrballs, 'cause at a buck per round, a day at the range would put you in the poor house pretty quick. But both the wife and I have put several hundred rounds downrange in a single sitting without drama or pain. Both weapons are also very easy to break down and clean.

The New Agent is much easier to conceal than my Glock 19. The basic dimensions are about the same but the 1911 is probably 1/3 thinner, making IWB carry much easier. Of course, you trade off round count for that thinness. However, I carry with the mentality that my weapon is there solely to allow me to escape, not win a gun battle. So I'm okay with having fewer rounds in the magazine. If I were a cop, I'd probably have a different opinion.

I was never and will never be a 1911 fanboy. These two Colts are the only 1911s I've ever owned. I would, however, compare them favorably to any major caliber concealed-carry weapon out there.

Eulogy32

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    Carmel, Indiana
    +1 on the CCO setup. With the commander length slide you will gain accuracy, reliability (debatable, I know), and shootability for range days. Kimber makes a CDP Compact that is exactly like the one you saw only it has a 4 inch barrel instead of the 3 inch barrel. Colt has the original CCO, goodluck finding one. And Sig makes two very nice models, C3 and RCS.

Goodluck in your search. You can't really go wrong with any of the suggestions made so far.

Indyal

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Nalees, if you are willing to put in the time to care for the ultra CDP and practice, this is a good pistol. By this, I mean that a 3 in will most likely require more checking on acceptable ammo, magazines, proper grip, etc. I had one but decided I had to have a government model and traded it with just some regret. If you do an internet search on various 1911 forums, you read a ton of info that may help in your decision. I did not find the recoil a lot different than a government model but others have said there is considerable difference.

Chaplain

NRA Life Member
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 28, 2010
    Crawfordsville, IN
    Kimber Ultra Carry II

I picked up a Kimber Ultra Carry II, w/laser grips, on impulse a few months back. NO REGRETS! In fact, it became my new everyday carry. It's a real BLAST to shoot! Especially when held high and tight to the chest sighting via laser. There is a big difference in felt concussion up close vs. at arm's length!
    Is it a tack driver? NO, BUT WHO CARES! It is surprisingly accurate and at typical defensive distances it is downright deadly.
    I love my 9mm's for CC but the narrow grip of a single stack .45 combined with the small overall size of the Ultra Carry II makes it easy to conceal and a delight to carry.
    Just my opinion...

AutoMovt

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2010
    Save up for the Kimber you won't regret it. Quickly after purchase and the first range day my Ultra Carry II became my primary CCW.

Cowboy1629

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 8, 2010
    West Central Indiana
    I have the Ultra CDP II that I put the CT laser grip on later and it has been an outstanding carry gun. Has shot everything from lead SWC to the high dollar carry ammo without any reliability issues. Can't say that about my out of the box Colts in years past, always had to have the ramps polished or tuned up to shoot everything consistently. Kimber makes a nice weapon.

Top Bottom