Teachers flock for free gun training classes!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Gee, I thought MOST teachers were, "LIBERAL" Union, Gun Hating, Anti 2A, Whatevers..... WHAT HAPPENED ?????

Sandy Hook, Columbine,...
    Teachers watch the news too.

I have a niece-in-law who is an elementary teacher in Texas. During the Christmas holidays I had the opportunity to ask her about her thoughts on the idea of arming teachers.

Mind you, she is a very sweet girl, and brought up in a VERY anti-gun family, but she told me she thinks it may not be a bad idea to arm teachers!

Think about it. Imagine you were a parent, as she is, and a teacher of very young kids. Now imagine you come home from work to see on the news that a classroom much like the one you just spent the day in was just the scene of a horrible atrocity.
    How hard do you think it would be for that teacher to imagine that tragedy occurring in HER classroom. She's now wondering, "What would I do? What could I do?"

Not that hard to understand. I just hope others will take the same, common-sense approach.

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    We need more of that. Any school teacher in Indiana who goes through training should have a right to take a weapon to school. Training should be free to any person who is a teacher.

In the case of Indiana, a great trainer HAS offered FREE training to educators and administrators.
    But without offers like this, who do you propose pay for the teachers training?

NOTHING IN LIFE IS FREE! Someone has to pay.

While I agree that ANYONE who can legally own and carry, should be allowed to carry in schools and other prohibited places, I believe it is each person is responsible for their own training.
    If I were offered "free" training, I would take it but I wouldn't expect anyone else, especially the taxpayers, to foot the bill!

MCrupe

Plinker
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Dec 30, 2012
    Kendallville
    My wife is a school teacher and she would definitely carry at work if she was allowed to. She has not had any professional training as of now but we are looking into that. She has her LTCH and is proficient with both of her hand guns but I believe that you can never have too much training.

thatgtrguy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2012
    Anyone can take a basic marksmanship course. What I want to know is who is going to train teachers how to stay cool under fire. Police and military train constantly for that. As well as gun enthusiasts. I imagine many armed teachers would panic and make the situation worse in an active shooter situation.

Not really crazy about the idea of an armed panicked teacher near my kid.

popsmoke

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 6, 2012
    Gee, I thought MOST teachers were, "LIBERAL" Union, Gun Hating, Anti 2A, Whatevers..... WHAT HAPPENED ?????

When I ETS from the Army in a couple months, I'll be getting my teaching degree from IUPUI. And a constant voice of reason in the ears of anyone who will listen about training certification for teachers.

popsmoke

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 6, 2012
    Anyone can take a basic marksmanship course. What I want to know is who is going to train teachers how to stay cool under fire. Police and military train constantly for that. As well as gun enthusiasts. I imagine many armed teachers would panic and make the situation worse in an active shooter situation.

What makes a teacher any different from a civilian with a LTCH?

Assuming that they'd be panicky just because they're a teacher is unfair. None of the civilians you're getting flagged by at gun shows or rubbing elbows with at your local gun shop are guaranteed to not panic.

For all I know, you would panic and make the situation worse in an active shooter situation.

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    Not true, I have 2 DIL's, both have LTCH, My oldest daughter-in law is not as "into" shooting as the younger one. My younger DIL with is really into shooting, pretty darn good shot. She was shooting "HER" AK and my LR 308, last time I visited. She shot my son's friend's 500 S&W magnum handgun, and liked it. Obviously she cannot carry to school, if she could, I'm sure she would and would certainly protect her students.

upalot

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 12, 2012
    PAWNEE
    Haven't seen anything here at INDGO, has any teachers taken Guy up on his offer for training here in Indiana?

thatgtrguy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2012
    What makes a teacher any different from a civilian with a LTCH?

Assuming that they'd be panicky just because they're a teacher is unfair. None of the civilians you're getting flagged by at gun shows or rubbing elbows with at your local gun shop are guaranteed to not panic.

For all I know, you would panic and make the situation worse in an active shooter situation.

Most civilians with a LTCH that I know personally train regularly. Not just raw marksmanship, but situational simulations.

I think some teachers would be panicky because they are carrying in response to Sandy Hook instead of their own personal commitment to a protection centered lifestyle.

You know nothing about me. Don't presume you do just because I'm willing to voice my concern about the across the board arming of teachers.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    We have 2 very good friends that are teachers. one elementary and one high school, both female and single. They are pushing me for range time. Neither have ever fired a gun of any kind. They both want to try several different styles and calibers before choosing what they will purchase. I was a bit surprised by their interest but will not let this opportunity pass by.

Edit...Both are Liberals but they are no longer safe and feel the need to protect themselves and the kids.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012

I see two significant problems with this characterization.

First, just because someone is a teacher, that does not automatically make such a person ignorant or hostile toward guns, so it is not a tenable conclusion to assume that all teachers who would gravitate toward carrying now are ignoramuses scared into doing so. You would probably be surprised to learn that I bought my first handgun from one of my professors (who held an FFL at the time).

Second, in the event of an active shooter situation, would you prefer a potentially (but not necessarily) jumpy teacher with a gun between your child and the attacker, or would you prefer you child being absolutely defenseless? Sometimes a less than perfect solution is better than none whatsoever. You also fail to account for the fact that composure under pressure is as much a function of one's nature as of training.

Top Bottom