• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Grizhicks

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    New Palestine
    All -- Sorry about the late notice, but I just got this. Hope it helps someone out. -- Greg/Grizhicks

============================

From: James D. Edwards [mailto:jedwards@catholiccharitiesterrehaute.org]
    Sent: Friday, January 18, 2013 6:18 PM
    Subject: Upcoming Technician Class Amateur Radio February 8th and 9th

I am sending this email to those of you who either may be interested in
    obtaining your amateur radio license, or know people who would like to earn their license. The Ryves Youth Center Amateur Radio Club in conjunction with Vigo County ARES and the Eastside Outdoor Radio Club will be holding a two day Technician class. The class will be held in the dining room of Ryves Youth Center on February 8th and 9th, 2013. Class will be held on Friday from 6pm until 9pm and on Saturday from 9am until 4pm. Testing will be administered immediately after conclusion on the class. There is no charge for the class or the test but preregistration is strongly encouraged.

Since this is an abbreviated class it is important that everyone study the manual that will be provided. If you know of anyone interested in earning their license please have them email me and I will send them the study material. If there are any questions please feel free to contact me.

Thank you

James D. Edwards KA9DIF
    Director, Ryves Youth Center at Etling Hall
    1356 Locust Street
    Terre Haute, IN 47807
    (812)235-1265

CathyInBlue

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I'm involved with the Extra class now, but I'm going from zero to Extra in this time. I've already read the Tech manual and am chewing on the General now. I'd be happy to join in with this class and take both the Tech and General exam on the 9th.

Just one thing... where's Ryves Youth Center? Is this the new Boys and Girls Club in the old Gerstmeyer school?

Grizhicks

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    New Palestine
    Cathy -- Good Luck to you (& let us know how it went); if you've study much at all, you should have much trouble with either of those.

pitbull & Icarry -- There is an email address and phone number in the info above, and he has asked that you pre-register. Good Luck!!!

-- Greg/Grizhicks

Grizhicks

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    New Palestine
    Exodus (& any others) -- If you are half-way intelligent, then you should be able to pass both the Tech & General license exams without too much trouble (also you can take both or all 3, on the same day for one test fee). If you are using the on-line practice tests, I would get the Tech 'down pat' and then move on to the General. Unless you have an electronics background, the Extra test is much harder and requires more studying. But if you have the background and pass the first 2, I would go ahead and give the Extra a shot.

I took a Tech class back in the fall of '03, in addition to the on-line practice test. A week before my exam, I started on the General, studied hard, and passed them both. The only problem was, I now had a year to pass my Morse code test. Well it took 2 years, so I had to retake the General exam (& passed them both). FYI, no more Morse code (which I think is a good thing).

Good Luck to All.... Greg/Grizhicks, K9TLA

CathyInBlue

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I'm diligently reading the ARRL license manuals (gotta get through the rest of ch.5 and then ch. 6 of the General today to be able to get through chs. 7 and 8 tomorrow) for my exams on Saturday morning. I have an MS in CS and all but dissertation for an MS in Physics, and I'm finding this stuff useful review, so I guarantee you that you will learn something from it.

WaterGuy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2013
    Lafayette
    Any interest in ham radio classes in the Lafayette area? We have been trying to achieve "critical mass" for some time with no luck. Perhaps a little outreach is in order.

BTW, I recommend you work the on-line sample exams first to find your weak spots, then go to the books. Only missed two questions on my extra exam that way. ;-)

WaterGuy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2013
    Lafayette
    I'm diligently reading the ARRL license manuals (gotta get through the rest of ch.5 and then ch. 6 of the General today to be able to get through chs. 7 and 8 tomorrow) for my exams on Saturday morning. I have an MS in CS and all but dissertation for an MS in Physics, and I'm finding this stuff useful review, so I guarantee you that you will learn something from it.
    Good luck on your exam. Don't worry about passing, my son earned his Novice license at the tender age of 12.

73 de N9DKI

Top Bottom