• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Shootin'IN

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2010
    S.W. Indiana
    No, it tends to refresh the accuracy of bad or worn rifling.
    But it is still not as good as a gun with good rifling all the way to the end of the barrel.

grumpe

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 18, 2008
    whiteland
    I didn't see one bad word in here on this rifle, that says enough right there!
    Great gun, big bang, nice light show too. Still is my favorite :rockwoot:

HighStrung

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 5, 2010
    Pendleton
    This was some great info guys. I have been kicking aroung the idea of getting one for the past few months, I just had some other projects going. Will probably do some looking at the 1500 when it comes around and see if I can get something pretty cheap. I'm guessing they'll have a handfull there won't they?

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    what ammo shoots fire out the barrel? like that ammo that chicks dig!! :D i want fire coming out the end of my mosin!!:ar15:

You'll see it out of the carbines (M44/M38), but not usually out of the longer versions. In the carbines, the powder is still burning as it exits the muzzle, which is why you get a muzzle flash. Most 7.62x54r ammo will do that, but in the video it was (IIRC) Bulgarian ammo of dubious quality and pedigree.

Shootin'IN

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2010
    S.W. Indiana
    what ammo shoots fire out the barrel? like that ammo that chicks dig!! :D i want fire coming out the end of my mosin!!:ar15:

It is a little hard to find now, but it is the Czech 1964 7.62x54r hollow core short range ammo. I let my kids shoot it because it has a very mild recoil, about as much as a .233. It makes for a big muzzle flash because the lite 44.8gr bullet is way out of the barrel before the power gets burned.
    Czechoslovakian 1964 7.62x54r Hollow Core Short Range
    It comes in a small blue box with a white stripe.

boozoo

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    NE Indy
    Another carbine option is the 91/59. Basically looks like an M38 for all intents and purposes. The quality on those is usually pretty good although I did have to do a little trigger work on mine. Dad's on the other hand... whoooo boy. Beautiful metal throughout and with a very very soft trigger.

DIRTY HARRY

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 29, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    Midwest Gun Exchange in Mishawaka has both Hex and round reciever models in stock with all the accessories that go with(bayonette,oil bottle, cleaning kit, sling, and ammo pouch), and Midwest Gun and Range in Elkhart has the round reciever models as well. 115.00 for the Hexes and 99.00 for the rounds. Plenty on hand if you are interested.

paddling_man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Jul 17, 2008
    Fishers
    Midwest Gun Exchange in Mishawaka has both Hex and round reciever models in stock with all the accessories that go with(bayonette,oil bottle, cleaning kit, sling, and ammo pouch), and Midwest Gun and Range in Elkhart has the round reciever models as well. 115.00 for the Hexes and 99.00 for the rounds. Plenty on hand if you are interested.

Nice price for retail on the ammo. :yesway: Thanks.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    If you're interested in a M/N and can't find what you want locally, contact Moore's C&R

The guy is a TREASURE TROVE of M/N information and history. He eats, sleeps, and drinks Mosin Nagant. It's scary.

He's also the guy I'd point to you if you're at all interested in anything Mauser, too. Guy knows his stuff.

-J-

rtfisher1

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    May 4, 2009
    Anderson
    Dunham's

Watch for the Dunham's ad in Muncie or Anderson... they run specials on the Mosin's all the time... I need to pick up a M44, seems like the spit out a little more fire with the shorter barrel!! :rockwoot:

Sometimes the 91/30 will run aroudn 79-89$ but I don't recall how much the M44 usually is... on sale I think it may be around $129.

Todd

signut49

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 29, 2009
    Wherever I want
    Cheap to shoot. Very reliable. Accurate. Ask the Germans. Recoil on a 91/30 seemed to be a lot less than an M44 which kicks like a mule. You can't go wrong on the price! The M44 defintely looks like a cannon going off.

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    What's not to like about them? Cheap gun, cheap ammo, reliable, big boom,decent accuracy. And yes, they multiply like rabbits! Just leave MY Finns alone! :D Already been said, but the main thing to look for is a good bore. Everything else is just window dressing. If your bore is good, it is easy to tweak the trigger, action and bedding for best accuracy.

hoosier44

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2010
    St. Joseph county IN
    yes, they do multiply in the gun safe... great gun for alot of uses. It will last your lifetime and a few others. I prefer the M38 and M44 ( with bayonet) They are a riot at an indoor shooting range. It usually shreds the targets along side yours.... Buy one and have fun!! ***Note gun shows are a great source for these

Bisley Man

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Whitestown
    You can also reload the 7.62-54R cartridge to more tolerable levels of recoil. Of course you have to get boxer primed brass cases. I've been very pleased with the accuracy of even.308 dia. bullets. .310-.311 give best results.

Top Bottom