• ...and so much more!
  • DeadeyeChrista'sdad

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Feb 28, 2009
    winchester/farmland
    My poor ex grew up travelling around with her parents as they enjoyed shotgun sports, but was rebuffed as "just a kid" and so not worthy of the investment when she showed an interest. It was, as a parent of girls, heartbreaking to hear. And difficult to imagine from her dad. She never did show much interest with me, but funnily enough, her only sticking point on signing the divorce papers was that I had to return her dad's revolver, and the 290 I'd gotten her. I doubt she's fired a shot through either one.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Both the gardener and I grew up rural, but guns weren't much of a part of either of our families. I hunted a lot as a kid, not sure why I picked it up, something I did with friends. During the 70s my interest in the "survivalist" movement prompted me to get further interested in firearms. When we got married I bought her a revolver and other guns over time, she never did take to hunting much although she has no problem shooting pest animals.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Best line of this thread so far!:)

My wife's father shot some Skeet when she was young, but she had virtually no exposure to firearms.

When she met me, I was an active member of the Izaak Walton League, hunted and taught hunter education.

But shortly after we were married, my career got severely in the way of anything firearms related and my modest collection of firearms sat in the safe...for over 15 years.

Once I started shooting, she came along some. We did an Appleseed class and she learned how to shoot the AR. She is recoil averse so other than the AR she sticks with .22.

What got her more interested was when I stuck a red dot on my MKII ruger. She loves shooting that thing! But she doesn't get to go to the range with me anymore. :) Last weekend she cleaned the plate rack in 3.48 seconds. I have yet to break below 4 seconds! Neither of those times are fast by competitive standards but for us it is solid progress.

Her overall feelings are:

She likes shooting low recoil stuff
    She has zero interest in carrying a firearm
    She has the mindset that she couldn't/wouldn't use deadly force
    She is fine with whatever I do
    She looks at firearms purchases as good investments so I am free to buy. However, we do have a limited budget so I don't just spend freely. I am very tight, lol. At this point, it is the sale of firearm stuff that finances new purchases other than ammo. I am encourage by her to buy often and stock up.

This Ruger brought CKW back into the hobby. It is full of the Volquatstrin (Sp) parts. The compensater does work. Go figure. But she kills with this thing. The Cmore helps as well.

91JXzpi.jpg

I hot-rodded a Tippman AR pistol in 22LR for her. Cmore sight trigger work and cool Ceracot job. She kills with it as well. She picked the color and the burled custom grips.

u1wzTD2.jpg

Last edited:

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    Even though my wife is pregnant with our first child when I told her I wasn't going to buy any more guns or accessories for a while she looked at me and said... Why?

:rockwoot: :ar15:

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    This Ruger brought CKW back into the hobby. It is full of the Volquatstrin (Sp) parts. The compensater does work. Go figure. But she kills with this thing. The Cmore helps as well.

91JXzpi.jpg

I hot-rodded a Tippman AR pistol in 22LR for her. Cmore sight trigger work and cool Ceracot job. She kills with it as well. She picked the color and the burled custom grips.

u1wzTD2.jpg

That's a nice rig!

wingrider1800

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 27, 2014
    Harrison County
    I grew up with guns and hunting. My wife's family owned no guns and no hunting. We hooked up juniors in high school. Her family had no ill feelings towards guns or hunting, just didn't participate. She will shoot with me if I ask her but that is the only reason. She has never had any problems with my guns, hunting or fishing and lord knows I do a lot of it. Yesterday was our 38th anniversary.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I grew up with guns and hunting. My wife's family owned no guns and no hunting. We hooked up juniors in high school. Her family had no ill feelings towards guns or hunting, just didn't participate. She will shoot with me if I ask her but that is the only reason. She has never had any problems with my guns, hunting or fishing and lord knows I do a lot of it. Yesterday was our 38th anniversary.

Congrats on 38 years! I will be hitting 37 years next May.

GLOCKMAN23C

Resident Dumbass II
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Feb 8, 2009
    S.E. Indy
    My wife was slightly anti when we met. I told her on the first date that if she didn't like that I have and carry guns, she could leave. She chose not to. She still doesn't shoot, but isn't afraid of them.

Gaffer

Shhhh.......
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 12, 2016
    Southern IN
    High school sweethearts.. My wife came into our marriage with guns.

Oh, and that was over 45 years ago......

Several folks on here have seen her shoot.. with a pistol, I can't compete!

If I am ever in a foxhole.. she would be my choice.

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    The Boss didn't really have any interest in guns early on, but at least wasn't against them. I'd be dragging home a "new" mil-surp and usually just got an eye roll when showing it off. Finally was able to convince her to try shooting a .22. Now she'll walk out back with me and plink around quite often with HER guns. Absolutely no interest in anything bigger or carrying tho.

Lt Scott 14

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 18, 2018
    Porter County
    We had a small farm in NWI. My Dad had a single shot 20ga SG, and my Uncle gifted me a 22cal bolt action rifle. My Dad didn't own handguns. We learned target shooting.

My Wife came close to being a carjack victim, only 3 blocks from home. She chose to drive right to the Police Station, gave a report, and the officers looked for subjects, didn't find them.

She says: We're buying 2 handguns and getting a license, and going to a training course.(38 years ago). We did buy a Beretta 25cal, and a S&W M10 4in 38spec. We took the course offered by a close range, and I did get my LTCH.
    We had 2 sons, when little, locked the handguns up till they could learn safely how to fire them and unload them.

Wifey traded Beretta in for a S&W snubby(M38 Airweight), and she had kept it secured. I carried the M10, concealed, and used it to qualify at Indiana Law Enforcement Aademy. Moved up to a M66, then a M686. Still have the M10.
    She liked the M10(Tapered bbl=skinny vs the 2 Magnums 66/686). 357mag was too much, 38Spec was right on. Wifey just got her LTCH, at a no charge for 5 years.(except fingerprinting, was $12)

She carries if the mood fits her. I carry all the time. I've stepped up my game to either a Sig 226, or a G19. She likes both too. Actually she is a decent shot with either, but revolvers seem to fit better.

Nazgul

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2012
    Near the big river.
    Think it was our second date when my wife saw the 45 in a holster in my truck. Said it was good to know. She was raised on a farm and not a stranger to fire arms. She used a single shot 410 to keep varmints away from her place.

We met in our 50's, both had lost our spouses. Carries her own handgun and shoots often with me.

She is the best thing ever happened to my family. The kids/grandkids love her.

Don

Kozaturf

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 21, 2020
    Westville-ish
    We were raised around hunting and guns through scouts and when we were younger my parents did re-enactments at the National Lakeshore so we even learned muzzleloaders. My wife was not raised around guns. Her grandfather hunted and reloaded but she wasn't exposed to it, my favorite .22 came from him, and old Marlin pre-serial number model 39.

The first time she fired a gun was when we were dating, she came to the range with me, my brother and my mom. She had a good time but didn't show serious interest after that.

Then about 5 years ago she started talking about getting her LTCH and getting her own pistol but she wanted to get her LTCH first. Fast forward to last Christmas, I got tired of hearing about how "I really need to apply for my LTCH" so we were at the LGS picking up a transfer of mine and I had her just "try on" a couple of guns. She went looking around and I ordered her a Tiffany Blue G43, she wanted something pretty :rolleyes:, I added an engraved slide plate and customized floorplates. Merry Christmas babe, guess you have to stop procrastinating.

Still took her until the start of this 'rona garbage to apply but she now has her LTCH and has taken her first pistol class and is scheduled for the next one in the course. We're still finding a holster that works for her and is comfortable but hopefully the one coming this week is the one. She has fired almost everything I own, asks to go shooting, asks questions when she has them and has even bought her own ammo.... once:spend:

Top Bottom