• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    At my range, they recently allowed us to start using reactive targets such as plastic bottles (milk jugs, water bottles, etc.) and clay pigeons, but I really dislike setting them on the ground as it increases the angle of deflection for ricochets. I'd rather have them on a shelf of some sort, so that the backstop catches the round properly. The stands available at my range, however, are just the standard wooden base with a couple of wooden stakes for stapling cardboard and paper targets.

Does anyone use a flat-top target stand that's either very portable or easy to set up and take down (or both) that would be suitable for this purpose? Maybe an idea that would integrate nicely with the range's existing target stands? Alternatively, maybe an easy and convenient way to do the same thing, but hang the bottles underneath the stand.

slow1911s

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I'd use 1x2 wooden stages for clay target holders - drive stake into ground, hang clay off the top, secure with a rubber band. And yes, the rubber band will withstand multiple shots with birdshot and even .223 or 7.62 (we use this method a 3-gun matches for rifles and shotguns).

For the flat top, I'd make my own stand. Four 12" 2x4s, nailed/screwed to leave a 1.75"x3.75" hole. Use another 12-24" 2x4 with a 4-6" piece fastened to the top to create your shelf. You can accomplish this with a single 6' 2x4, which is ~$3.

But, on the cheap - why not just put the targets on the backstop? Rhino and I used to throw out a dozen clays on the backstop at his range in Cville and have at it with 22s.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    But, on the cheap - why not just put the targets on the backstop? Rhino and I used to throw out a dozen clays on the backstop at his range in Cville and have at it with 22s.

The backstop is generally muddy and isn't sloped such that it's easy to place targets where I want them (especially for water bottles that have to be cleaned up afterward). I also can't leave stands in place when I'm done shooting, so everything has to be easy to bring in and out.

Eddie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    North of Terre Haute
    Could you use a plastic milk crate? I am thinking you could use it to carry the targets out to the range with maybe a couple of scraps of wood inside to use as shims if you needed to level it and then place it on its side and set the targets on top. Maybe even two of them stacked onto each other...

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Possibly. I'm not sure. Without specifically asking, I'd say no as they aren't specifically allowed (and if it's not specifically allowed, you can assume it's denied). That said, wooden target stands are used and those aren't really any different from plastic target stands (in this case, a milk crate). No metal stands.

Top Bottom