• ...and so much more!
  • Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    And we have instruments in 8/10 of those places!

Nothing (yet) in Marion or Lake Station. Several things very very close to there, but no cigar.

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    Yep. The criteria for determining the rankings were interesting-- including income, number of convenience stores, and number of tweets with #ghetto ?

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    Haha I'm not criticizing the list, and I think there are a lot of poor people that live in Terre Haute, but I wouldn't describe it as ghetto in lots of places. At least not when comparing it to several others on the list. Maybe not living in or near the "ghetto" I think of it differently than people driving though, who knows...

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    And we have instruments in 8/10 of those places!

Nothing (yet) in Marion or Lake Station. Several things very very close to there, but no cigar.

I have worked in #1, 2, 4, 5, and 9. My BF lives in #10 (Lake Station). It doesn't seem like a ghetto to me, but I worked in Gary for 30 years, so what the hell do I know.

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    364   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    Evansville missed the top ten by one spot. We need to try harder. Wait, can you make an effort to be more ghetto? seems counter-intuitive.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    Plot them on a map. There's a reason we have the term, "armpit of Indiana."

#1, 2, 5, and 10 are all within about 20 min of each other.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    Yep. The criteria for determining the rankings were interesting-- including income, number of convenience stores, and number of tweets with #ghetto ?

Yeah, seemed strange to me. Were the criteria weighted at all? And why isn't population density a criterion?

They may have the correct 10 cities, but they sure don't seem to be in the correct order.

LtScott14

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Porter County
    Born and raised in #2. What a loss to drug dealers, gangs, falling down buildings. I blame the Mills: Cutbacks, closures, lack of salary earnings forced workers out. No money, just crime.
    Went past my Grandma/Grandpa older bungalow home last week. House/yard pristine. Houses on both sides were boarded up/ foreclosed. Glad the owner has pride to maintain that home. Even though taxes are high, can't keep thugs out. Use to walk around in the 70's till the 80's and never worried about getting mugged. Serious bad now.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    I work in Hammond. On further reflection, I'm not so sure it belongs on the list. Sure there are run down areas and some street crime, but not like many other places on the list.

As for Elkhart, that's just sad. I went to high school in Elkhart and drove through the city every day. In the '80s it was a bustling, industrial town. My Dad was an engineer at a prominent biomedical company that was headquartered there. Of course, that's gone. Unfortunately, Elkhart is a shadow of its former self and does belong on the list.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    It's not comforting seeing Terre Haute on the list, but I've not seen any major issues coming out of there.

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    It's not comforting seeing Terre Haute on the list, but I've not seen any major issues coming out of there.

Based on the criteria listed in the article, just because it's classified as ghetto doesn't mean there would be issues.

Criteria used:
    Household income levels
    High school graduation rates
    Number of convenience stores
    Number of drug stores
    Number of discount stores
    Crime
    Twitter mentions of #ghetto

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Just proving my point on never going west of SB...

HM, you are right about Elkhart. It used to be a fairly nice town. PoPo used to be feared and they kept order up there. Not any more.

Top Bottom