• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 7, 2021
    central indiana
    Yikes. I'm only guessing but I suspect it was probably the eastbound lanes. They replaced a flashing light for full stop light a while back and the yellow light seems a bit short given the speed limit and going downhill when headed east. Ten cars is a lot of cars for one wreck on a two lane road. Sad to hear.

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    That is a potentially dangerous intersection, for sure. As stated, flashing yellow for EB/WB 144 was replaced with a full 4-way stop light. My speculation is the semi truck headed eastbound (down a significant grade) plowed 9 cars sitting at a red light.

If that's the case, then one would ask: mechanical failure, medical emergency, or distracted driving?

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    That is a potentially dangerous intersection, for sure. As stated, flashing yellow for EB/WB 144 was replaced with a full 4-way stop light. My speculation is the semi truck headed eastbound (down a significant grade) plowed 9 cars sitting at a red light.

If that's the case, then one would ask: mechanical failure, medical emergency, or distracted driving?
    based on what I see on the road every day, the last item is the most likely. Grain truck that drives that stretch every fall, used to never having to stop, so he checks his phone as he heads down the hill thinking there is no reason to stop for another 2-3 miles once past white river.

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    based on what I see on the road every day, the last item is the most likely. Grain truck that drives that stretch every fall, used to never having to stop, so he checks his phone as he heads down the hill thinking there is no reason to stop for another 2-3 miles once past white river.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    From the article that John posted:

"A traffic signal was recently installed a few years ago."

So it sounds like it wasn't a new thing.

Frosty

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Greencastle
    So think about this, 90,000 pounds of truck and soybeans at 55+ down a steep grade, car in front of him catches a late yellow, and shut its down in a panic, truck slams on the brakes to avoid killing everyone in the car, load shifts, truck jackknifes, sending cars bouncing into each other.
    Pure speculation on my part, but as someone who has come down that hill and tried to stop a truck that wasn’t nearly that heavy, that light sucks! I’m honestly surprised this hasn’t happened sooner with the dump truck traffic on 144.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I'm going out on a limb and saying your speculation may prove you to be a psychic. I nearly tagged a guy that panicked on the yellow there one afternoon. I don't think even an empty semi is going to make that stop. DOT engineer that signed off on that fiasco should be fired.
    Agreed. with that hill, there needs to be one of those predictive warning "prepare to stop" signs up the hill that the yellow lights start flashing a few seconds before it changes and stays flashing while the light is red to warn trucks to start slowing down. Kinda like th is one on the ramp from 65N to 38th st west.

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    So think about this, 90,000 pounds of truck and soybeans at 55+ down a steep grade, car in front of him catches a late yellow, and shut its down in a panic, truck slams on the brakes to avoid killing everyone in the car, load shifts, truck jackknifes, sending cars bouncing into each other.
    Pure speculation on my part, but as someone who has come down that hill and tried to stop a truck that wasn’t nearly that heavy, that light sucks! I’m honestly surprised this hasn’t happened sooner with the dump truck traffic on 144.
    ^^^^ This ^^^^

All the farming videos I watch on youtube, you quickly see those farmers have to really watch it out there.

04FXSTS

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 31, 2010
    Eugene
    Agreed. with that hill, there needs to be one of those predictive warning "prepare to stop" signs up the hill that the yellow lights start flashing a few seconds before it changes and stays flashing while the light is red to warn trucks to start slowing down. Kinda like th is one on the ramp from 65N to 38th st west.

Yes that. We have a 30 foot motor home and I hate that kind of traffic situation. We go into Minnesota and have found these type warning lights on rt. 10. They are great! Jim.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    From the article
    “This will be an extensive cleanup,” McClure said. “The sheriff’s department has to complete their thing then after that we have to conduct a small hazmat spill here as you can see.”
    It seems to me they already have one hazmat spill to clean up, why would they want to conduct another one?

***Ironhead***

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2008
    Morgan county
    Agreed and I would add the concrete trucks that haul in and out at the bottom of the hill.

Nugget

Milsurp Enjoyer
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jul 30, 2022
    Morgan County
    It's part of life out in the country, but I hate driving rural roads this time of year. Tractors, combines, and grain trucks coming in and out of fields, taking up both lanes, driving slow. And let us not forget, I believe grain truck drivers are exempt from CDL licensing, aren't they? As long as you have a driver's license and affiliation with the farm, you're suddenly qualified to drive a multi-ton semi!

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    It's part of life out in the country, but I hate driving rural roads this time of year. Tractors, combines, and grain trucks coming in and out of fields, taking up both lanes, driving slow. And let us not forget, I believe grain truck drivers are exempt from CDL licensing, aren't they? As long as you have a driver's license and affiliation with the farm, you're suddenly qualified to drive a multi-ton semi!
    What do you know about farming and the qualifications of those folks to drive? Do you think the people driving commercial trucks with a CDL they got sitting in a class of BS actually have skills?

Top Bottom