• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Here's yet another reason why it is prudent to not inform any enforcer that you have a weapon in your vehicle. Even when you're legally carrying them they can just steal them from you, because they want to. Here's the case of a person who was traveling back from the 2nd Amendment March in DC and had his firearms stolen by a Tennessee enforcer, despite the fact that he was transporting them legally and in accordance with federal law. It also serves to point up the magic words..."I do not consent to any search of my person or vehicle".

Naming names: 2nd update on the gun confiscation incident in TN Restore The Constitution

IndyMonkey

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2010
    Here's yet another reason why it is prudent to not inform any enforcer that you have a weapon in your vehicle. Even when you're legally carrying them they can just steal them from you, because they want to. Here's the case of a person who was traveling back from the 2nd Amendment March in DC and had his firearms stolen by a Tennessee enforcer, despite the fact that he was transporting them legally and in accordance with federal law. It also serves to point up the magic words..."I do not consent to any search of my person or vehicle".

Naming names: 2nd update on the gun confiscation incident in TN Restore The Constitution

It happened 5 months ago. If you want to keep my interest and add credibility to your post find some recent information.:rolleyes:

IndyMonkey

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2010
    The update to the incident was today. Franky, I'm not overly concerned as to whether it elicits your interest.

Its the same regurgitated info that is linked to the other blog in early July.

Second hand info posted on a blog....big deal.

If it truly happened, there would be court dates by now. Or at least a civil suit to get said guns back.

It takes away credibility from your usual cop bashing post.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Are you part of some anti-cop / anti-government forums where you keep getting these stories from? That's all you ever post about.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Are you part of some anti-cop / anti-government forums where you keep getting these stories from? That's all you ever post about.
    Really? I beg to differ. A quick search of my posts shows you're wrong. I updated an old post on Katrina from a news alert on the issue and this post came from a gun rights related site. I also saw and added a link to the Costco shooting thread. All of my other recent posts had nothing to do with cops, unless a baby formula recall was somehow related. :rolleyes:
    As for being part of some anti-government site...I'd guess you're part of a pro-government site? That would figure. And, no I don't belong to any anti-cop sites. I am alerted to civil rights issues, tho and cops often show up in those.
    If this isn't related to gun rights then use your almighty powers as a mod and delete it.

MikePapa1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2010
    North of Nashville, Tennessee
    I saw this same post today on the Tennessee Gun Owners (TGO) site. I'm trying to find the county where this occurred so I can check the court record. This has not been my experience with the police in my time here. While the troopers of the THP are not, generally, of the same quality as ISP Troopers, they've improved in professionalism exponentially in the last ten years. IF I can find out where this alleged occurred, I'll update here.

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    Agree 110%. They do get old.:noway:
    I would suppose that hearing awful things about those in your profession, on a day to day basis, would get old. What would you prefer happen to bad cops? Just sweep it under the rug and pretend it never happened? Why do you, or any other cop post on a pro 2nd website if you don't want things to happen the way they are supposed to according to the US constitution? You may be tired of hearing about cops doing dumb ****, but I want to know what goes on. I don't care if you or any other cop gets his feelings hurt over it.

I don't know if what the OP posted happened or not, and I have not noticed a trend in his posts that would indicate he is anti-cop, so why are yall jumping on somebody who obviously wants to see the rights of gun owners upheld?

christman

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 27, 2010
    Terra Haute
    Ya, I'd like to see a suit followed up by now....Otherwise..Just drama. How about cruiser camera of the stop? I'm sure that would be all over the place right now if there were an incident???? Hell, WTHR usually gets that footage the night an incident happens around here. Oh and I agree. You do post up cop stories quite often. Not that I care one way or another, but I do notice.

j706

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   1
    Dec 4, 2008
    Lizton
    I would suppose that hearing awful things about those in your profession, on a day to day basis, would get old. What would you prefer happen to bad cops? Just sweep it under the rug and pretend it never happened? Why do you, or any other cop post on a pro 2nd website if you don't want things to happen the way they are supposed to according to the US constitution? You may be tired of hearing about cops doing dumb ****, but I want to know what goes on. I don't care if you or any other cop gets his feelings hurt over it.

I don't know if what the OP posted happened or not, and I have not noticed a trend in his posts that would indicate he is anti-cop, so why are yall jumping on somebody who obviously wants to see the rights of gun owners upheld?

Hearing bad thing about those in my profession is a fact of life. It is the one sided biased anti cop stuff that irritates me. Take this story for example. When the driver of the vehicle in question talks about the dog loosing interest in his car. The average person doesn't know how any given police K-9 alerts on a vehicle. He is just assuming that the dog didn't alert. I highly doubt that the officers made up a lie about the alert. The story is one sided whining IMO.

I wasn't there. If the guns were confiscated I am going to assume that they were done so for a violation of TN. law. I know nothing about TN. law nor do I care to.

You will not find a more pro second amendment supporter than me...anywhere. Don't take my word for it. Ask the people that know me.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Mrjarrell, the numbers of your posts may not bear out what esrice said, but the tone of your posts, the language you use, do give the impression that you are looking to find fault with their actions, both generally and specifically. It's a free country; you're welcome to have whatever opinion you want, just don't be surprised when your methods are taken how they come across. I'm not much for dogpiling someone, so I'm not jumping in where others have all said that you're anti-whatever. I am trying to explain, though, how it seems to me they got that impression.
    You call them "enforcers": while technically correct, their job is to enforce the laws our elected representatives have passed, the word carries a more sinister connotation than, for example, "trooper" or even LEO.
    You refer to the trooper as having "stolen" his property. I don't know about your neck of the woods, but I've yet to see a thief who gives a receipt for what he's taken.
    The trooper was in the wrong, I agree, and if there's ever a court date, I'm sure that will be brought out.

One thing I'd like to point out because it's very important when dealing with the press (ANY press) and that is that there are three sides to every story: The other guy's, yours, and the truth. All we have here is the story of the man claiming to be victimized.

LEOs are not always right, obviously. Gun owners are similarly not always right.

I would be willing to bet, however, that had the citizen refused to answer or worse, lied to the trooper, or had he obstructed by one of those, "I do not consent to any searches" strategies, his property would still have been confiscated, he would still have been cited for his windows, but his car would have been impounded and he (and his wife, perhaps) arrested and charged. Maybe that would have been better from the perspective of liberty, but as it is now, according to his story, he remained fully cooperative, spoke intelligently regarding the law, and made his own case. He beat the "ride" before and now he stands a fair chance of beating the "rap" also.

Now, to be fair, I've given my layman's interpretation of the events, based on what I know of the FOPA and based on the citizen's report of what he did and where he was. I do not profess to be an attorney, nor is this post legal advice. As such, I welcome anyone who IS a J.D. to pick it apart and correct me wherever I may have erred.

As for your posts, mrjarrell, they do give the impression of being anti-LEO and/or anti-government to me as well. Perhaps that's not your intention. If not, I'd suggest taking a second look at your posts or maybe having someone else whose opinion you trust look them over and give you honest feedback on them.

These suggestions are not offered as a mod and don't carry anything more than my opinion. It's up to you whether or not you accept the opinion as worth some attention or not, and makes no difference to me either way. I just offered it with the intention of helping.

Blessings,
    Bill

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    Hearing bad thing about those in my profession is a fact of life. It is the one sided biased anti cop stuff that irritates me. Take this story for example. When the driver of the vehicle in question talks about the dog loosing interest in his car. The average person doesn't know how any given police K-9 alerts on a vehicle. He is just assuming that the dog didn't alert. I highly doubt that the officers made up a lie about the alert. The story is one sided whining IMO.

I wasn't there. If the guns were confiscated I am going to assume that they were done so for a violation of TN. law. I know nothing about TN. law nor do I care to.

You will not find a more pro second amendment supporter than me...anywhere. Don't take my word for it. Ask the people that know me.
    I perfectly understand being offended by the biased anti cop statements. I've posted anti bad cop sentiments here, as well as giving accolades to cops who have gone above and beyond the call. It just irritates me that the ones who should be all for such things as video taping incidents, and law abiding citizens carrying guns, come here and defend those who have abused their duties, or get offended when the bad cops are called out for their reprehensible behavior. I'm not saying you have done any of these things, but why complain when someone posts something that points out this type of thing? I agree that, yes, if this guys guns were taken, then chances are there is more to the story than what we know, but until then, all we have to go is this story, and it sucks. I am a press brake operator, I supply a crew of 35 guys with parts to assemble into semi trailors, and mobile stages. I'm held accountable for what I do, so I make sure I do it right the first time. That is why I don't get it when cops defend the actions of a bad apple, because a bad apple with a badge can cause a lot bigger problem than a guy standing in front of a press brake.

j706

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   1
    Dec 4, 2008
    Lizton
    I perfectly understand being offended by the biased anti cop statements. I've posted anti bad cop sentiments here, as well as giving accolades to cops who have gone above and beyond the call. It just irritates me that the ones who should be all for such things as video taping incidents, and law abiding citizens carrying guns, come here and defend those who have abused their duties, or get offended when the bad cops are called out for their reprehensible behavior. I'm not saying you have done any of these things, but why complain when someone posts something that points out this type of thing? I agree that, yes, if this guys guns were taken, then chances are there is more to the story than what we know, but until then, all we have to go is this story, and it sucks. I am a press brake operator, I supply a crew of 35 guys with parts to assemble into semi trailors, and mobile stages. I'm held accountable for what I do, so I make sure I do it right the first time. That is why I don't get it when cops defend the actions of a bad apple, because a bad apple with a badge can cause a lot bigger problem than a guy standing in front of a press brake.

My point is that we are only getting one side of the very slanted story. Many people like to take the slanted stories as fact and run with them. A good example is the Las Vegas Cosco shooting. It seems that there was much more to the deceased mans life than being a West Point Grad.

I have said before and I will say it again, No one is harder on bad,corrupt,dishonest or ignorant LEO's than other LEO's. In this line of work your reputation means a lot. You get a bad reputation in this job you might as well just resign. And your fellow LEO's are always listening and watching. LEO's tend to be a unforgiving group for their own bad apples. At the same time they are also fiercely loyal. Probably more so than any other occupation.:twocents:

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    My point is that we are only getting one side of the very slanted story. Many people like to take the slanted stories as fact and run with them. A good example is the Las Vegas Cosco shooting. It seems that there was much more to the deceased mans life than being a West Point Grad.

I have said before and I will say it again, No one is harder on bad,corrupt,dishonest or ignorant LEO's than other LEO's. In this line of work your reputation means a lot. You get a bad reputation in this job you might as well just resign. And your fellow LEO's are always listening and watching. LEO's tend to be a unforgiving group for their own bad apples. At the same time they are also fiercely loyal. Probably more so than any other occupation.:twocents:
    :yesway: :patriot:

singlesix

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, In
    "Tenn. Trooper Steals Guns During Stop"

Misleading Title. The officer gave receipts for the the items confiscated. This is not stealing. Agree or disagree with the Trooper's interpretation of the law, his intent wasn't to steal the guns. Such misrepresentation is a fine example Yellow Journalism.

Top Bottom