• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    My bombproof glacier tent is a Sierra Designs, but I've got a Eureka Mountain XT that punches well above it's weight, price-wise. For bags, Feathered Friends for cold, cold stuff; Marmot otherwise - or a cheap but good Mil Surp sleep set.

cook5oh

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 28, 2013
    Southern Indiana
    If your looking for something on the cheaper side that is good, I always suggest Eureka. They made quality stuff. I've backpacked with their tents for 15 years now.

dnurk

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 20, 2012
    Boone County
    Watch REI-OUTLET: Deals, Discounts & Bargains on Outdoor Gear, Clothing and Equipment for Camping, Cycling, Fitness and More for good deals on last years and discontinued stuff.

I have a great North Face 2 man that was at a great price a few years ago.

This is excellent advice. REI has some great deals on quality gear.

Friend of mine just bought this. I have seen it and it is a high quality tent. It is also light enough to use for backpacking with 3 people.

Big Agnes Lynx Pass 4 Tent - 2012 Closeout - Free Shipping at REI-OUTLET.com. Great ventilation, bathtub style floor, relatively light, and good vestibule space.

nucular

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2012
    Brownsburg
    It depends on what kind of camping you want to do.

For car camping, you really can't beat Eureka tents. They are designed well and are fairly rugged. We have used a Eureka Sunrise 9 for many, many years and it is still going strong. It will hold me, my wife, and our 14 and 5 year olds comfortably (although not with much gear in the tent).

For backpacking, I recently picked up a big agnes copper spur ul3. It is called a 3 person but it is really more like a '2 people with gear' or a '3 people in a pinch'. The biggest selling point for me was the weight. Heaviest option is about 4.5 pounds compared to the Eureka's 18ish pounds. They make this tent in bigger and smaller sizes.

For bags, I like Kelty, Big Agnes, and Marmot. I use a Kelty Cosmic Down 20. It is relatively lightweight at 2.5 pounds and can be found for just over $100. REI also has marmot 15 degree bags for around $100. Those are mummy bags. I can't give much advice on rectangular ones.

Oh, and don't forget the sleeping pads - they make a huge difference in how rested you feel after tenting for a couple days. Our car camping pads are Thermarest LuxuryMAPs but for backpacking it's a Big Agnes Q-Core.

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Try Alps Mountaineering. Can sometimes find some good deals on Amazon. Our Scout tents are Alps. My boys' backpacks are Alps. Our 0 degree mummy bags are Alps. Great stuff. They also make some of the Browning brand stuff.

sadclownwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 97.7%
    43   1   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    NWI
    Cabelas XPG Tents, you can't beat the durability, weight, and price.

And the Cabelas XPG sleeping bags are amazing for the price as well.

jazzy1993

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 16, 2012
    Lake County
    try sierratradingpost.com they have all the name brands at clearance prices. I got a Marmot last year and love it. I do still have my Coleman mummy bag and it has worked well.

Mark-DuCo

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2012
    Ferdinand
    I think every piece of gear I own is Coleman (tent, sleeping bags, stove, latern, backpack, backpacking stove, etc.) good pricing and nothing has let me down yet.

Jeepers

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Been to the BWCA dozens of times in some hardcore weather and Eureka always stands up. Northface looks to have some nice stuff now also. Read the fine print on any tent you buy and make sure the seams are tapped or sealed real well. Just go to REI, they'll get you set up.

Indiana Camper

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 16, 2012
    Westfield
    Western Mountaineering and Feathered Friends are the two best sleeping bag manufacturers by far. There are tons of good ones though. As far as tents I've had good luck with Mountain Hardwear, Sierra Designs, and Big Agnes.
    I would definitely buy a tent that is "rated" for one more person than you plan to have in it also.

Last edited:

Cpt Caveman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    57   0   1
    Feb 5, 2009
    Brown County
    Slumberjack sleeping bags have served us well. Not top of the heap price wise either. Campmor has them I believe.
    Tents are a straight "you get what you pay for" proposition. Buy once, cry once.

Top Bottom