Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Uneducated opinion:

License renewal <> re-testing and re-issue

Drivers license:
    They verify you haven't gone blind, and they hand you a new license. You do not need to retake the test.

4-yr LTCH:
    They verify you haven't committed any felonies, and hand you the new license. No testing is required.

Utah CCP: 4 hour class is required. Permit is issued. Permit must be renewed every X years. Can't remember if you have to take the class again or not....

I suppose it is more about context than anything. We ALL know there is a difference between an Operators License and a Driving Permit. I suppose the terms are used just to help folks distinguish.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Since this is a concept created by the State, they get to name it. What did they call it?

What it is in some philosophical sense....I'll leave it to the junior linguists in our group.

I'll stick with what the statute says, the application says and what the pink paper itself says.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    Since this is a concept created by the State, they get to name it. What did they call it?

What it is in some philosophical sense....I'll leave it to the junior linguists in our group.

I'll stick with what the statute says, the application says and what the pink paper itself says.

Fair enough. But some people come from out of state, and are used to referring to what in Indiana is a license (LTCH) as a "CCW permit" or "CWP" or the like. Correcting people on such terminology is overly pedantic, even for me - and usually only serves to act as a distraction.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana

Oh, oh, pick me, Professor Hough. The State of Indiana named it "Larry".

people come from out of state, and are used to referring to what in Indiana is a license (LTCH) as a "CCW permit" or "CWP" or the like. Correcting people on such terminology is overly pedantic, even for me - and usually only serves to act as a distraction.

CCW, CHL, CWP, YMCA, all focus on concealment which is unnecessary in the Indiana Larry.

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    CCW, CHL, CWP, YMCA, all focus on concealment which is unnecessary in the Indiana Larry.

Question, Professor Freeman. All the names with C in them are certainly about concealed carry, although I don't want to know what they are concealing at the YMCA. However, the topic is about license vs. permit. Is there any difference besides what a legislature decides to name it?

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    ...CCW, CHL, CWP, YMCA, all focus on concealment which is unnecessary in the Indiana Larry.

Now let's be accurate about language. Saying "Concealed Carry Permit", according to what I've been reading here is 100% accurate. I need this "permit" for me to legally "concealed carry". Therefore, it can properly be called a "Concealed Carry Permit". What other people read into that about that being the only way is their own problem. When I use "Concealed Carry Permit" I only mean that it permits me to engage in concealed carry. To me, it does not exclude any other carry methods, it just refers to my personal preference.

I'm convinced- from now on, I'm calling it a Concealed Carry Permit​.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    I'm convinced- from now on, I'm calling it a Concealed Carry Permit​.

WonderWoman-NoUDidnt.gif

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Question, Professor Freeman. All the names with C in them are certainly about concealed carry, although I don't want to know what they are concealing at the YMCA. However, the topic is about license vs. permit. Is there any difference besides what a legislature decides to name it?

*Grabs pipe*

professor-elemental-o.gif

Hmmm, ah, no.

nakinate

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 1, 2013
    Noblesville
    It doesn't matter if we call it a license or a permit. We keep them in our wallets and those will ultimately be stolen by Indiana State troopers.

TiMMaY

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 19, 2014
    Martinsville
    Fair enough. But some people come from out of state, and are used to referring to what in Indiana is a license (LTCH) as a "CCW permit" or "CWP" or the like. Correcting people on such terminology is overly pedantic, even for me - and usually only serves to act as a distraction.

So why do you bother then?

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    completely unrelated, Chip... but I think you may have worked at my current workplace.

People here reference your name.... and I see your location is around here.

Starts with a "C", sound familiar?

TiMMaY

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 19, 2014
    Martinsville
    Why do I bother with what?

So why do you bother correcting people?

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    So this'll be the post we point to in this thread, rather than the OP.

And this will be the post I point to in response:

Distinction Without a Difference:
    A type of logical fallacy where an author or speaker attempts to describe a distinction between two things although no difference exists.

Generically I might refer to them as carry permits or licenses interchangeably. Whether it's a state's CCW permit, or our LTCH.

Yes, the law calls it "license". Fine. What real meaning is gained or lost either way. But if someone refers to it as a permit in conversation INGO goes all ape**** about it.

:runaway: <gasp/> Someone just called it a PERMIT!!! OMG!!! He's an ignorant moron because he called our venerated LTCH a permit. :rolleyes:

I say, big deal.

The only time it matters is if it's in the context where a person confuses a concealed weapons permit or license, with a handgun permit or license. And then it's not "license" or "permit" part that makes the semantic difference. What matters in that sense is one permits a person to carry a concealed weapon (which may include several different types of weapons, not just guns). The other permits a person to carry a handgun whether concealed or not.

Top Bottom