• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 16, 2012
    Clay County
    TERRE HAUTE, Ind. (WTHI) – We have new details involving a local motel where a registered sex offender was arrested earlier this week.Police took him into custody following an alleged incident where he lured a 5 year old girl into the room where he was living. As we reported Wednesday, Terre Haute Police say Timothy Blazier was living at the Econo Lodge. Eight of those sex offenders are listed as sexual violent predators.

Motel has DOC contract to house sex offenders | WTHI-TV

tv1217

N6OTB
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Kouts
    Hotel seems worse. In an apartment they have to inform all the neighbors, right? In a hotel, do they have to inform anyone?

CTS

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 24, 2012
    Fort Wayne
    I've always been on the fence about the SOR. I definitely think there are a lot of people on it who have no business being on it. I know a guy who was temporarily. He was an idiot to dated a girl on the wrong side of 18 when he was a few weeks shy of legal, but he's not out kidnapping and raping. Placing the non-violent on the registry essentially fates them into a life where they have an extremely small likelihood of living in anything but abject poverty which makes crime an appealing option. Of course there are exceptions...blah blah. Personally if they're so potentially dangerous you have to advertise their past, don't let them out of jail in the first place. If they're deemed safe enough to release they should be on the same kind of parole as everyone else. I think the rapid execution of child molesters and rapists would solve the problem in a hurry. :)

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    Where are they going to live?

Also, I'd like to point out that, according to the article,

According to the Indiana Sex Offender Registry, there are currently 13 registered sex offenders living here at the Econo Lodge.

that's the address of record. Are they all really living there?

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I've always been on the fence about the SOR. I definitely think there are a lot of people on it who have no business being on it. I know a guy who was temporarily. He was an idiot to dated a girl on the wrong side of 18 when he was a few weeks shy of legal, but he's not out kidnapping and raping. Placing the non-violent on the registry essentially fates them into a life where they have an extremely small likelihood of living in anything but abject poverty which makes crime an appealing option. Of course there are exceptions...blah blah. Personally if they're so potentially dangerous you have to advertise their past, don't let them out of jail in the first place. If they're deemed safe enough to release they should be on the same kind of parole as everyone else. I think the rapid execution of child molesters and rapists would solve the problem in a hurry. :)

It would certainly reduce the recidivism rate....

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 16, 2012
    Clay County
    Hotel seems worse. In an apartment they have to inform all the neighbors, right? In a hotel, do they have to inform anyone?

This was just posted on FB about it and kinda answers that question...

Econolodge in Terre Haute is housing 13 registered sex offenders. The state of Indiana department of corrections has a contract with econolodge. This contracts assures that the econolodge will have at least 12 rooms available for released criminals to live in. I called the Econolodge to ask if they warned people when they rented rooms about the registered sex offenders residing there. The lady informed me that it is illegal for her to give anyone that information. I find that hard to believe since landlords are required to inform renters of nearby sex offenders. A 5 year old little girl was attacked yesterday at the Econolodge.

MT60

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 9, 2014
    Stroh

I'm with you on this one. Work friend's kid got caught with his hand in his JUST under-aged girlfriends pants when he was JUST over aged. (Back before the updated law made some accommodation for close ages.) This at a party where her parents were supplying the booze. The lawyer he was finally appointed told him if he'd kept his mouth shut it wouldn't have been a problem. Since there had been no sex he thought he was clean and "cooperated". Convicted, served 6 mo. in a local jail, and put on the registry. Ten plus years later his life is now a mess and he's pretty sentenced to life-long poverty.

The real bad guys should still be locked up, the kids who had a stupid attack need their lives back.

Redtbird

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Apr 18, 2012
    Monroe County
    I thought they were being put up at the motel on North 3rd street. Guess I'll have to find a new place to stay in TH the next time I go to visit my sister.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    This was just posted on FB about it and kinda answers that question...

Econolodge in Terre Haute is housing 13 registered sex offenders. The state of Indiana department of corrections has a contract with econolodge. This contracts assures that the econolodge will have at least 12 rooms available for released criminals to live in.I called the Econolodge to ask if they warned people when they rented rooms about the registered sex offenders residing there. The lady informed me that it is illegal for her to give anyone that information. I find that hard to believe since landlords are required to inform renters of nearby sex offenders.A 5 year old little girl was attacked yesterday at the Econolodge.
    I find that hard to believe. Not even licensed real estate agents are required to notify buyers of nearby registerees.

CitiusFortius

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    NWI
    The bad thing is, right across the street is a residential area where children play all the time.

Could that not be said about any place? Just about every house in this country is within walking distance to a school or park (excluding rural areas of course)

The thing is.....the registry is meaningless since you only get on it AFTER you do the crime. If prevention was really the goal, they'd have an abuse victim registry. Since being abused as a kid dramatically increases the chance that you will become an abuser yourself.

Top Bottom