• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    Folks shouldn't support the 2nd simply because they like guns and aren't afraid of them.
    Huh? I said people tend to be anti-gun because they are afraid of them.

The reason people support the 2nd Amendment varies a lot. If you try to impose some kind of 2nd Amendment purity test on people you will do nothing more than push people away.

In my opinion, the discussion should be less about the 2nd Amendment and more about gun control laws specifically. I get a lot of traction with people when I explain logically why the laws that are proposed are silly, meaningless and/or worthless for the problem that they are supposed to solve. The USSC has already said that the government can put restrictions on guns. The battle therefor is over which restrictions are OK and which are not.

If someone has no experience with guns, you can talk until you are blue in the face, and you will never convince them of anything positive. Get them exposure to guns, remove that fear of the unknown, and they will be much more likely to not support any of the anti-gun laws that get thrown out there.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    Emotions run very high regarding guns. I think they run higher on guns than religion and politics! The key to good pro-gun arguments are to stick with the facts. There are many other areas that take far more lives each year than guns, i.e. medical mistakes and distracted driving, but we don't hear a hue and cry to put more oversight on doctors and nurses, nor do we see bills introduced to outlaw smart phones. It is always good to point out how many guns are in civilian hands and how few of them are misused. It is also good to point out how places like Chicago have very high murder rates, while gun and ammo restrictions are very tight. There will always be a segment that want guns banned, except for the police and military. Others want to decide which guns civilians "need". We need to show responsibility with firearms at every turn and remain calm in the face of illogical and highly emotional gun banners. Few individuals can present the pro side well. That's one reason we join pro-gun groups. Of course the other is that there is strength in numbers. Anyone who blasts the gun lobby, either is not aware of how the government works, or (more likely) just hates the power of the gun lobby and gives an ingenuous argument. If all gun owners belonged to pro-gun groups, we would be in a huge position of power.

Top Bottom