• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 243rem700

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    My experience started with Able Ammo started over 5 weeks ago with an order for a specific brand of somewhat rare .22 LR subsonic ammunition. I bought 4-500 round bricks of the ammo to use out of my suppressed bolt rifle. It shipped out and arrived in a reasonable amount of time. That is probably about the only positive of the whole experience. Upon opening the package, which was visibly damaged on the outside (no more than usual for a typical UPS package), inside there was NO packing support at all. The boxes of the rimfire ammo were mangled badly due to the lack of support in the 500 count boxes of this particular brand ammo. I opened each of the 500 count boxes to inspect each 50 count box. When all was said and done over 1/4 of the order contained dented brass and disfigured bullets. I contacted Able Ammo and stated such as well as I wasn't comfortable with much of the rest of the order as the boxes were damaged and could have altered the dimensions of the cartridges without being visible. Since Able Ammo wasn't solely responsible for the damaged product I inquired how I should proceed. They wanted me to return 'the product' and had UPS pick it up at my door, while at the same time shipping the replacements out. I packaged all of the boxes back up and left it for UPS. So far, so good.

About a week later I received the package from Able's. The ammo was packaged beautifully, but only the 1/4 of the original order (the severly damaged portion) had been replaced. No problem, a simple miscommunication (though I was pretty clear on what my intent was). I called the customer service rep I had talked to previously and explain the problem. So they say they will ship the remaining 3/4 of the order back. Still going pretty well.

After several days I got the remaining 3/4 of the order the day, only it was the high velocity version of the ammo, not what I was hoping for being intended for use in a suppressor. It had been almost exactly a month at this point and I was slightly annoyed. I called the customer service rep and they wanted to know the product number so they can verify how it happened and also asked me if they could ship some of the boxes from the original order (I believe they were low on inventory on the product I was ordering). I gave them the product number and told them I'd prefer not to get any from the original shipment, but if that's all they had that was OK. I get a shipping notice the next day and the product arrives several days later. Again the packaging was great, the UPS box was pristine. They wrapped the individual 50 count boxes in bubble wrap. I have high hopes at this point. I get the bubble wrap off of the boxes and the boxes are smashed worse than conceivably possible. It looks like they took the worst damaged boxes from the original return, and ran over them with a forklift (several times for good measure, I'm sure) and then nice and gently packaged them in bubble wrap so nothing bad could happen to the most disfigured, grusome lot of ammunition I have ever seen in my life while it was en route to my door. DESPAIR! I don't know how they would let this out of their doors. Up until this point would have described this as a bad set of circumstances. Knowingly letting this garbage go to a customer is inexcusable IMO.

At this point I think I am just going to chalk this whole experience up as a loss, shoot the 1/4 of my original order and trash what's left of the remaining ammo as there is NO WAY I would run a single round from that lot through any suppressor for fear of baffle strikes or a host of other problems.

By far the worst experience of the many ammo companies I shop at. Hopefully this post will save someone else heartache and grief.
    :ranton:

Last edited:

243rem700

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    Here are what most of the crushed cases look like. The damage comes from the cases being pinched by the protective holder in the boxes.

picture.php

This is what a majority of the proctective holders looked like. They broke in half and a lot of the corners were crushed pinching the cases.

picture.php

Here is what some of the bullets looked like. Their tips were completely flattened.

picture.php

This is a picture showing a bullet that was no longer concentric to the case. This happened most often to cartridges that were in the middle of the protective holder.

picture.php

Finally is a picture of a box as it arrived, wrapped in bubble wrap. This is how they were packaged and shipped.

picture.php

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    Overall package

Sounds like somebody at UPS doesn't like handling ammo or doesn't like Able Ammo. How was the overall package wrapped/boxed? Was it all in another box? Was it identifiable as ammunition to a casual observer? I order ammo from another online source regularly. It is always in a plain cardboard box with plenty of packing material. Of course, it has the required ORM markings on the outside but the shipper is identified as "Shipping Clerk" rather than the name of business. A person unfamiliar with the ORM marking would have no idea what was in the box or who shipped it.

JB357Mag

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 26, 2012
    Yea!
    Sounds like somebody at UPS doesn't like handling ammo or doesn't like Able Ammo. How was the overall package wrapped/boxed? Was it all in another box? Was it identifiable as ammunition to a casual observer? I order ammo from another online source regularly. It is always in a plain cardboard box with plenty of packing material. Of course, it has the required ORM markings on the outside but the shipper is identified as "Shipping Clerk" rather than the name of business. A person unfamiliar with the ORM marking would have no idea what was in the box or who shipped it.

In reality no one at ups like any packages or companys.

They are notorius for damaging products. I know a custom gutar speaker
    mfg that refuses any ups packages and will not use them after repeated
    damage to his products.

When I had my Gibson Les Paul Standard shipped I demanded no UPS!

They used Fed Ex and no problems.

Jimmy

Jake46184

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 2, 2011
    Indianapoils
    In any shipping, gun/ammo related or otherwise, always choose Fed Ex over UPS if you can. Their performance is noticably better and Fed Ex is not union.

243rem700

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Fort Wayne

The thing is Able Ammo did a great job of bubble wrapping the boxes on the last shipment. And the box UPS delivered was not damaged at all. The condition that the ammo was in was how it left Able Ammo.

The box from the original shipment, like all of the other shipments, was marked ORM-D and had Able Ammo in the from address info.

Top Bottom