• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • russc2542

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Columbus
    Notice how that assault lorry started out slow and then accelerated quickly to a deadly speed. No one needs that kind of power. Current laws don't address the capacity or lethality of lorries. These are military grade vehicles; killing machines. In the past 100 years, these vehicles can be described as having an escalation in lethality, and we need some common sense regulation so that we don't put such capacity for killing in the hands of ordinary citizens.

And what's it like to drive one of these trucks? It's horrifying, menacing, and very, very loud. I've driven small u-haul trucks before, but never something as powerful as...THE LORRY, like the one that mowed down the crowds of Nice, France. And so that I could give a completely unbiased review of the destructive power of lorries, I decided to risk my life and drive one myself. And here's my harrowing account of this death machine.

Press lightly on the accelerator pedal and the resulting explosion of power is humbling and deafening. The sudden acceleration bruised my shoulder, even while wearing seat belts, which can happen if you don't know what you're doing. As I accelerated to the breakneck speed of 40mph, objects alongside the road, street lights and mail boxes, and trees, disoriented me as they flew past my face. The smell of diesel and destruction made me sick. The explosions from each cylinder -- like loud bombs -- gave me a temporary form of PTSD. For at least an hour after driving the death machine for just two minutes, I was anxious and irritable.

And this was my account. I am totally not trying to make lorries sound worse than they are to further an anti-lorry agenda.

Disclaimer: I'm not trying to make light of the terrorist attack in Nice. The intent is to ridicule ridiculous arguments.

10 points to Jamil

Why are you so us and them? Think globally, it is the solution to everything they say.

crap, I just did it too. This inclusiveness stuff is hard :(

I don't see a huge issue, it's a local vernacular thing. Europeans call them lorries, Americans call them trucks. There's nothing untrue about what was said. Many Americans, if asked what a lorry is, will just give a blank stare.

We joke about vehicle safety but I'm one of those people that likes older cars because it keeps you move involved in the driving process. Do you realize how much safety crap is mandated by law already and how much is on the books but not implemented yet (IE "starting 2020, all vehicles will be required to have____")?
    Seat belts, OK.
    air bags, yea I guess.
    OBD2, yea I'm on board with that one.
    TPMS, wait a sec.
    Stability control (including ABS and electronic throttle), hold on there.
    Active emergency braking (2018 iirc), what the? (oh, BTW this one basically kills manual transmissions too)
    lane departure correction (?), wait who's supposed to be in charge here?
    mfrs HAVE to sell X% hybrids and EVs, oh boy.
    CAFE, Xg CO2/mile (minimum MPG either way), I don't like this party any more.

Next time you hear an ad mention standard stability control, traction control, and ABS, keep in mind the first is legally required on all US passenger vehicles starting in 2014 or 2015 and all 3 use most of the same hardware (throttle by wire (TBW) and ABS modulator)

I traded my '12 (thought I'd try something new and shiny...didn't go well) in for an '03 this spring and would as soon buy a "smart" gun as I would another car with TBW. When they come up with a car (and laws) that I can tell it where I want to go then do whatever I want inside and be absolved of responsibility for the car's actions, I *might* buy one for long trips.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    10 points to Jamil

I don't see a huge issue, it's a local vernacular thing. Europeans call them lorries, Americans call them trucks. There's nothing untrue about what was said. Many Americans, if asked what a lorry is, will just give a blank stare.

We joke about vehicle safety but I'm one of those people that likes older cars because it keeps you move involved in the driving process. Do you realize how much safety crap is mandated by law already and how much is on the books but not implemented yet (IE "starting 2020, all vehicles will be required to have____")?
    Seat belts, OK.
    air bags, yea I guess.
    OBD2, yea I'm on board with that one.
    TPMS, wait a sec.
    Stability control (including ABS and electronic throttle), hold on there.
    Active emergency braking (2018 iirc), what the? (oh, BTW this one basically kills manual transmissions too)
    lane departure correction (?), wait who's supposed to be in charge here?
    mfrs HAVE to sell X% hybrids and EVs, oh boy.
    CAFE, Xg CO2/mile (minimum MPG either way), I don't like this party any more.

Next time you hear an ad mention standard stability control, traction control, and ABS, keep in mind the first is legally required on all US passenger vehicles starting in 2014 or 2015 and all 3 use most of the same hardware (throttle by wire (TBW) and ABS modulator)

I traded my '12 (thought I'd try something new and shiny...didn't go well) in for an '03 this spring and would as soon buy a "smart" gun as I would another car with TBW. When they come up with a car (and laws) that I can tell it where I want to go then do whatever I want inside and be absolved of responsibility for the car's actions, I *might* buy one for long trips.

Europeans call them many things.
    Just the Brits use "Lorry".

Top Bottom