• ...and so much more!
  • cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    My pre-order was for a tri-motor version with full self driving, not that that matters much anymore. It will be interesting to see the landscape when my number comes up in a couple of years. i’m not beholden to Tesla by any means. If I like something better by that time, I will forego the CT and get something else.

BJHay

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 17, 2019
    Crawfordsville
    If Samsung or Toyota deliver on their promise to start production of solid-state batteries by 2027 the resale value of every EV on the market today will crash (in my (never) humble opinion).

I heard Jay Leno say "The first of a new technology is never as good as the last of the old technology." He was talking about the transition from steam cars to gasoline.

I'll wait a bit.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    My pre-order was for a tri-motor version with full self driving, not that that matters much anymore. It will be interesting to see the landscape when my number comes up in a couple of years. i’m not beholden to Tesla by any means. If I like something better by that time, I will forego the CT and get something else.
    I don't see me wanting a self-driving car anytime soon. Maybe when I am getting to the point where it is more difficult to drive. I don't even like the "safety" features. First thing I did when I got the car was turn them all off. Well, except for front end collision avoidance, since you have to do that every damned time you start the car.

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    Camper “shell” for your CT. Base price $24K. Do watch the vid in the tweet.

I’d love to have a cyber truck but gonna have to wait for the economies of scale to bring the price down just a wee bit.

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    I’d love to have one, just too pricy for now. I’m not overtly hostile to electric vehicles in general, I just don’t think the “transition or else right now” of the environmental movement, which is a political not scientific movement, is really about saving anything.

Separating EVs, particularly Teslas, from that, they are pretty cool and definitely the future. Their range, repairability, and support infrastructure still need to make big strides, but they will get there. we need more nuke powerplants anyway, EV or not.

Just going by the specs, the CT outclasses the other EV pickups. As a daily user/commuter/pick-things-up-at-Home-Depot truck that’s comfy and nice it goes well against ICE trucks. I think it will fall short as a daily work truck due to price and towing range, But I don’t think the initial market truck is really the working stiff. After Tesla has made its money off of the folks who don’t mind paying to have a cool vehicle the price for a more basic model will come down, some of the geewhiz features will disappear, and the glovebox button will go back where it belongs.

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    This has some interesting engineering insights to the Cybertruck. It falls short actually showing “truck” things, but it does feature a Tesla designer and an engineer talking about why they designed things the way they did. Fun fact: the stainless steel alloy they use is called HFS, for “hard freakin’ stainless”. Or something like that. ;)

Warning 40+ minutes

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    Dad had an El Camino, brand new 1973 model. Great looking vehicle. Had white vinyl-ish tonneau cover that was a PITA to keep clean, and a PITA to snap on. Load capacity was 500 lbs.

The CT load rating is 2500 lbs, the tonneau cover opens and closes itself, and you can stand on it.

The el Camino was fun, but would still go with the CT.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 7, 2021
    central indiana
    The el Camino was fun, but would still go with the CT.
    Which will be worth more ten years from now? My guess is the el Camino. Also, every auto manufacturer overstates their vehicle's ability to some extent. I'm pretty sure the advertised specs for this eTruck are going to be hard to achieve, if possible at all. It probably won't matter much because the people that buy this truck probably aren't buying it to haul more than a six-pack and some golf clubs.

bgcatty

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Sep 9, 2011
    Carmel
    I really don’t care about the CT allegedly beating a Porsche 911 in a 1/8 mile drag race. The real question is: Over the long haul, which will be more fun to drive on everyday roads? Of course, that is a rhetorical question. Why you may ask?
    Because: Porsche, there is no substitute! :wow:

Top Bottom