Tested a few of my children this morning...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Mishawaka
    Long read ahead.. you've been warned :)

My wife and I were talking about kids and guns. Some of you remember when I brought my 2 oldest sons to Winimac in Sept for the meet n shoot and commented on how well they handled guns and their level of safety. I wanted to do a non scientific test and see what my younger kids would do if they found one of my guns laying around the house.

To begin with, I removed magazines and chambered round from each of 3 pistols that I wanted to leave laying around. They were totally un-loaded (ignore rule #1 for the following tests as I ensured they were unloaded visually and w/ a pinky in chamber.

Test #1.
    My youngest daughter (3) and youngest son (4) were running around the living room and rough housing. I drpped my P11 (w/ holster) in the middle of where they were playing as I got off the couch and casually waked into the kitchen. My son runs after me and says "uh oh. Dad, u dropped your gun!" and my daughter was cradling the package in her arms and calmly walked into the kitchen w/ the holstered gun and also said "dad, here, you dropped your gun". IMO.. they passed this test. If my gun were to somehow fall off my hip, they showed that they will safely bring it to me.

Test #2
    I left my holstered P11 on the back of the toilet after using the restroom. I closed the lid (just in case). After a few minutes, I asked my 10 year old to bring me some TP so that I may blow my nose. (There was a roll on the back of the throne). He brought me the TP and said "dad, your gun is sitting on the back of the toilet".. I asked him to please bring it to me. He did, by the handle and kept it pointing in a safe direction. I told him that he passed the test. He notified me of a gun laying around BEFORE putting his hands on it. This is what I've instructed them to do. Always ask before touching any of my guns. He did and he passed.

My wife suggested using some other pistols since they see my gun all the time on my hip. For the next 2 tests, I used my P3AT and my wife's Bersa Thunder .380

Test #3
    While my 2 little ones were upstairs, I placed the P3AT on one end of the other couch where my wife had some laundry folded. It was next to my socks. I placed the Bersa near my daughter's undies (folded at the other end of the couch). We waited and we watched. The kids were still horsing around, flopping around on the couch by the guns, etc. They seemed as if they didn't notice them. I asked my little son to bring me some socks. Figured I'd bait him to be in the same area as the gun. He and my daughter playfully argued about who would bring me socks. They both were virtually standing on the gun and never noticed it. My wife asked my little girl to put on some clean undies since the other gun was by her undies. She barely even noticed it. Not sure if they passed this test or failed it but they didn't notice or care about the 2 guns on the couch where we directed them LOL.

Test #4
    The two little ones had pillow cases they were using to hop around in. When my son went upstairs, I put a pillow case on top of the bersa in the middle of the floor and waited. My daughter came downstairs and picked up the pillow case mid-run and my son followed and froze in his tracks without stepping over the bersa. He looked back at me and kept on going. My daughter right behind him, stopped and sad "mom.. your guuuunnnn !!!" and cradled it with both hands and brought it to her immediately. IMO she passed the test and he failed simply by not saying anything about it, although, when she picked it up he came with her to be the snitch.

Test #5
    My little girl left her pants laying on the floor when she put on clean undies so I put the P3AT under her pants in the middle of the floor. My wife asked her to come downstairs and put her pants in the hamper in the bathroom. She picked up her pants and exposed the gun. Walked a few steps then realized there was ANOTHER gun laying on the floor. She dropped her pants and wanted everyone to know there was a gun laying there. She picked it up, cradled, and brought it to me. (my son was upstairs for this test so he gets disqualified LOL)

What I learned from this:

tl;dr If there's a gun laying around my house, my youngest children and my 10 year old will let us know and bring them to us safely. I still want to borrow my brother's glock and see how they react to a gun that they've never seen before. So far, it's a good start. :yesway:

There were no kittens harmed during this test. :D

MrsGungho

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2008
    East Side
    I've done that before.. not to the extent you did though. My son passed. He never picked it up though just yelled at me to put my gun away

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Mishawaka
    I was bored and wanted to be thorough :)

My wife had a good point about using a gun that they don't see all the time, that's why I got the other pistols out.

As I noted, I would still like to use a gun they've never seen in the house before to see how they'd react.

I believe this is a good idea for anyone with children. Just to see how they'd react if they found one. :yesway:

concrete dog

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 19, 2008
    Goshen
    My 6 yr. old would have failed all 5 of your tests. The reason being is, he know guns aren't toys. If I leave it laying around he might tell me he seen it, but won't touch it unless the words come out of my mouth that it's ok. In no way am I condemning your tests.

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Mishawaka
    My 6 yr. old would have failed all 5 of your tests. The reason being is, he know guns aren't toys. If I leave it laying around he might tell me he seen it, but won't touch it unless the words come out of my mouth that it's ok. In no way am I condemning your tests.

My 10 year old did just that.

My two youngest children, I'm still working on it with them.. Hence the reason for the tests. If I had to pick between picking it up and playing with it, or tell me and bring it to me.. I'd rather have them tell me and bring it to me.

Basically, it was feedback for me to determine how much more I need to teach the little ones.

Since I don't leave them laying around much, and the little ones don't get to coonfinger them much, it lets me know that I need to teach them more that they need to ask before touching them.

Your son would have passed the test if he told you but didn't bring it before asking. That's a win in my book. :yesway:

Car Ramrod

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Westfield
    Your kids must think you're the most forgetful SOB out there. :):

That was my thinking too. They should notify you, but not immediately pick it up and carry it to you. In the tests, the gun was knowingly not loaded, and much safer, but in a real world scenario I would personally want them to leave it, and just notify me.

That being said, at least they know the basics of proper handling and to notify you of your forgetfulness. ;)

Bob2

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 24, 2010
    You're kids are going to think you are careless with you guns, always leaving them around like that. Don't be surprised if they want to train you better :)

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Mishawaka
    Your kids must think you're the most forgetful SOB out there. :):

That was my thinking too. They should notify you, but not immediately pick it up and carry it to you. In the tests, the gun was knowingly not loaded, and much safer, but in a real world scenario I would personally want them to leave it, and just notify me.

That being said, at least they know the basics of proper handling and to notify you of your forgetfulness. ;)

My wife said when I 'dropped it' in the middle of their playing, my daughter looked up and was like "WTF !!??" before they did anything. :laugh:

We don't know the vulnerabilities or capabilities until we DO know. I'd rather find out what my children would do in a controlled fashion, instead of a real world scenario where a gun is really just laying around loaded, then saying "I thought they knew to not touch it without asking"..

Moral of my story and tests are simply

1. I need to leave my guns laying around UNLOADED and create opportunities to teach my 2 little ones MORE that they aren't supposed to touch them without asking FIRST.

2. My children won't pick up my guns and play with them as if they were toys.

(Have you ever put your home security system thrugh the paces to see what the vulnerabilities are? I have and know the weak spots :) )

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Mishawaka
    Interesting. If those where my kids, I would have considered all of the test where the kids touched the gun a fail.

They're (almost) 3 and 4. I do not know for sure the limit of their knowledge until I DO know. This is why I chose to test them.

I now know where they need more instruction, so I will teach them more. :)

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Good tests.
    I wounder what would happen if they found one of your gun while you are not at home (or when they think you're not at home anyway).
    Since they're so young you probably never leave them all by themselves at home, but it could be interesting to see what they do if you tell them you have to run to the store for five minutes and leave your gun behind.

shooter651

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 6, 2010
    Teaching children responsibility and the safe handling of a firearms is never a fail .
    If the basic rules are taught and properly reinforced then go for it.

BravoMike

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 19, 2011
    Avon
    They're (almost) 3 and 4. I do not know for sure the limit of their knowledge until I DO know. This is why I chose to test them.

I now know where they need more instruction, so I will teach them more. :)
    daddymikey,

First and foremost, thank you for being proactive in teaching your children firearms safety. Recently I had a conversation with a co-worker about firearms safety and children. We talked about many scenarios and how kids "should" handle those scenarios. I directed him to the NRA's Eddie Eagle program that has this simple solution: "If you see a gun, STOP! Don't Touch. Leave the Area. Tell an Adult." We went on to talk about peer pressure to play with or touch the gun, which I think is also very important especially since they may find a gun in a friends house, not just yours. The next day he had a talk with his family about firearms safety. I agree that guns should not be treated as a forbidden fruit because kids are naturally very curious and if you don't let them see it, they will do their best to look at one, at your house or a friends, without you there.

I want to make it clear that I have no credentials whatsoever on this subject, they are just my opinions. :twocents:

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    Interesting. If those where my kids, I would have considered all of the test where the kids touched the gun a fail.

For their current ages, in my household, I would have too.

I don't ever ask for them to bring it to me because I want them to be absolutely sure (for the time being) that the ONLY time they are EVER allowed to touch the firearms is under supervised, deliberate gun-fondling scenarios, namely, being introduced to a firearm in the home to show how it operates (after reviewing the safety lessons) and at the range to do some target shooting (after reviewing the safety lessons).

My 6y/o is so trained about not touching he apologizes for bumping the Glock on my hip (his shoulders are about the same height). :laugh:

I trust my 6y/o explicitly to leave firearms alone per the rules of the home. So far my 3y/o has complied, but he is an obstinate, ornery little devil, and it's the only shred of obedience he has displayed. He probably won't be trusted with them until he's out on his own. :):

daddymikey,

First and foremost, thank you for being proactive in teaching your children firearms safety. Recently I had a conversation with a co-worker about firearms safety and children. We talked about many scenarios and how kids "should" handle those scenarios. I directed him to the NRA's Eddie Eagle program that has this simple solution: "If you see a gun, STOP! Don't Touch. Leave the Area. Tell an Adult." We went on to talk about peer pressure to play with or touch the gun, which I think is also very important especially since they may find a gun in a friends house, not just yours. The next day he had a talk with his family about firearms safety. I agree that guns should not be treated as a forbidden fruit because kids are naturally very curious and if you don't let them see it, they will do their best to look at one, at your house or a friends, without you there.

I want to make it clear that I have no credentials whatsoever on this subject, they are just my opinions. :twocents:

I had a friend on FB who sent me a message freaking out because she just found out her mother had been keeping a loaded pistol in the top drawer of her dresser, even when her grandchildren (the children of my friend) came to visit. (Oh, the horror!) I sent her to the Eddie Eagle program too. She later thanked me. IIRC, she found some of the videos online (perhaps youtube?) and had her 4y/o (the oldest child at the time) watch them. Not only did the 4y/o really like, them but the message seemed to have stuck. She still won't have firearms in her house, but Eddie Eagle was a means for her to educate her children.

Rocket

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Jun 7, 2011
    Whiteland
    My youngest yelled at me one morning He was 6. He drug me by the hand back downstairs. As we got closer he told his older brother "It's ok, I got him". Curious I played along. He spun me around in front of the recliner that I had been in 10 min ago, pointed and said "Look Dad you dropped your gun!"
    Humbled, surprised, and happy I picked it up and pocketed it (P3AT) and gave them both a big hug and said thanks. My oldest son was on lookout while my younger son retrieved me. It WAS LOADED. I teach my kids EVERY gun is loaded and touching them without me right there is forbidden. They passed a test I didn't set up because I have tested like the OP did. I am very careful but even cautious people make mistakes. That is why it is SO important to train EVERY child Gun safety.
    On the same token I have taken the mystery out of guns for them. Forbidden objects are the most desirable things on the planet to kids. I have always told them that I will show them, let them hold them, aim them and even shoot them as I am available to do that for them. WE have set drills and word travels fast in the house when it is gun viewing time. After they see me clear it I hand it to whoever is first inline They MUST clear it and even the last person in line clears it. Questions answered everybody goes back to their day. Good job OP way to be a responsible gun owner and parent! But I would encourage the non touching of them when you are not in the room.

Johnny C

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    Solsberry , In
    I did this too.
    But first, I thought I would teach my daughter that guns were dangerous, so when she was 5, we took a milk jug and painted a face on it and added hair made from yarn. I filled it up with red water and set it in the yard on a post. Then I shot it with a shotgun.

Maybe over kill, but she got the point I was trying to make at the time...DONT TOUCH!

Unfortunately, she was afraid of guns for a few years and I had to retrain her about how they could be handled safely, but only in my presence.

Later, I laid around a few pistols (unloaded) where she would find them. She yelled to me that said she found a gun on the bed, on the floor etc. But she didnt touch it.

Next, after learning the 4 safety rules, we handled an unloaded pistol and rifle together, as I was cleaning them. I tought her to strip and clean an AR, and she brags about that to her male classmates at middle school.

Then... I got her a BB gun last year, she is now 12 and said she "might" go to an Appleseed with me next summer.

I grew up having never seen or touched anything but a BB gun until I was 22 or so.

Johnny C

Top Bottom