• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JAL

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2017
    Indiana
    I thought the Polio vaccine PREVENTED you from getting polio?
    You can be exposed to it and it starts to invade your body. The antibodies the vaccine created will kill it before it can become symptomatic. Nevertheless - you "had" polio because you were exposed and it invaded your body - but you didn't have a full-blown presentation of the disease, and that's what the vaccination prevents, and that's how immunity works, you're asymptomatic. It also greatly reduces transmission as you don't have enough of it to pass on to someone else -- usually -- Typhoid Mary being a notable example of the rare exception -- an immune carrier. You get bacteria and viruses all the time and never know it because you're asymptomatic with an effective immune system. Eventually - a disease may be considered "extinct" and eradicated if zero cases present for a very long time - such is the case with smallpox with the last recorded US case in 1949 and the last one globally in 1980. Some diseases may be continuously present in you such as chicken pox - if you had it as a child- that can emerge much later as shingles if your immune system falters.

Last edited:

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    IIRC it happened here in Indiana several years ago too, didn't it?

Indeed.

Steve Stemler was an exception as discussed in this article.

The article is worth a read.

A quote from the article:

"but he said his decision to stay was based not on partisanship but some principles learned from his father.

Among them, as Stemler said: “If you take a job, you better show up and get your work done.”

Even if that work is sometimes unpleasant."

I was able to get my hands on the paper containining the column. I sent it to him along with a two page handwritten letter which essentially said that while I disagreed with his party's position on the matters that were being debated at the time I had nothing but respect for his response to the party orders.

I never heard back from him. Perhaps some lacky intern opened the letter, saw what it was about and discarded it.

Nonetheless, if I ever come across this guy I will buy him a beer and tell him about my respect for his actions during that time.

jwamplerusa

High drag, low speed...
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 21, 2018
    Boone County

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Are you kidding me?
    WTF?

Theses Dem runaways are nothing but a big worthless AWOL PITA. I don't get why some people vote those grandstanding, freeloading attention seekers into office.

HoosierLife

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2013
    Greenwood
    Theses Dem runaways are nothing but a big worthless AWOL PITA. I don't get why some people vote those grandstanding, freeloading attention seekers into office.
    They think stuff like this is morally positive because of Merrick Garland and stuff like that.

HoosierLife

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2013
    Greenwood

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central