• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    A Free Speech segment can be added to every Rifle or pistol match scheduled in the future.

An art contest with prizes for the best depiction of the Prophet Muhammed and his goat can be a part of every rifle or pistol match.

ModernGunner

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    NWI
    So if someone wants to burn the US Flag that be OK?
    Unless there's a particular law that prohibits it, probably so.

We don't have to agree with it, or even like it. We must simply allow it.

You see, the First Amendment (et. al.) protection isn't intended for those with whom we readily agree. It's for those with whom we vehemently disagree.

That's the discipline.

That said, it must also be remembered that there are limitations. The most oft-cited example for the 1st Amendment is that one can't shout "Fire!" in a crowded theater.

And there is NO 'Constitutional protection' for violent or harmful actions. Which your example may well be.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    A Free Speech segment can be added to every Rifle or pistol match scheduled in the future.

An art contest with prizes for the best depiction of the Prophet Muhammed and his goat can be a part of every rifle or pistol match.

Do you think this will increase or decrease participation in such events?

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    Since many NRA High power competitors are military or former military, it sure won't decrease. Every Marine is very familiar with the High power course of fire.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    Rifles are loaded on command. Again, every current or former military member is familiar with the procedure. It is basic rifleman skills being tested with iron sights, a sling, and from position at 200, 300, and 600 yards.

I continue to be astounded when people say that they have never heard of it. In the 1960's battalions of troops were assigned to pull and score targets for military and civilian competitors. The US government even issued the ammo through the Colonel assigned to the Marksmanship program. And it was a desired and cushy assignment on the way to the star.

High power has been fired with few changes since WWI. I am really sad that so many don't know the history. And don't aspire to earn the Distinguished Riflemans Badge. It used to be issued by act of Congress, but the current version is cool too. I think there are fewer than 2,000 that hold it right now. I myself have 18 of the 30 points needed to earn it. I despair of earning those last 12 points...

Even now, thousands of juniors show up at Camp Perry during the Nationals. Many are courted by the military teams to join their service and be a part of their marksmanship programs.

To learn more, go to the CMP website.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom