• ...and so much more!
  • ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    Cute video, but I think it's funnier that Texas has somehow gained a reputation as being one of the least restrictive states regarding handgun carry when the fact is, they've actually been (and remain to some degree) one of the more restrictive states.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Cute video, but I think it's funnier that Texas has somehow gained a reputation as being one of the least restrictive states regarding handgun carry when the fact is, they've actually been (and remain to some degree) one of the more restrictive states.

When Union troops left in 1874 until Republicans finally returned to Texas in 1996, the carrying of handguns was illegal under most circumstances in Texas.

Open carry of handguns remains illegal under Texas law (as well as carrying the Bowie knife--talk about ironic).

Classic

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Aug 28, 2011
    Madison County
    Actually, more restrictive states are Illinois, Kaliphobia and New York, to name a few. True TX doesn't have a provision for open carry and they do force a "safety class" on CCW applicants but I lived there for a time and didn't find it so bad firearms-wise. Shooting activities and places were much more abundant and shooters more common than "back home again in Indiana".

Last edited:

MTC

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2009
    Cute video, but I think it's funnier that Texas has somehow gained a reputation as being one of the least restrictive states regarding handgun carry ...
    That "somehow" being a combination of Hollywood movies (mainly old westerns in this case), pop culure, vague assumptions and gossip repeated so many times it - or rather the image - "becomes" true (enough) to a person.

So rampant and repeated in various ways so many times in other places that, with regard to the phenomenon (for lack of a better term) you mentioned, I suspect it played at least a partial role in the formation of Kirk's First Law.

MTC

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2009
    . . .because, you know, it's on INGO every week.:laugh:
    :laugh: Yes, indeed, though it seems less frequent lately than it once was.

Far from questioning His First Law itself, can you confirm whether or not what was mentioned played some part in its formation?

Also, add any further comments and clarifications about what seems to be some sort of "associative imagery"?

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Far from questioning His First Law itself, can you confirm whether or not what was mentioned played some part in its formation?

The First Law has always been there, I just happen to discover it.

Also, add any further comments and clarifications about what seems to be some sort of "associative imagery"?

Without question the horse operas of the 1950s are what caused the silly notion about Texans swaggering about with guns. It never happened, but everyone thought it SHOULD have happened thus it did.

Only 2% of Texans have carry licenses and they were waaaaaay late to the party but the 1950s horse opera imagery trumps reality any day.

MTC

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2009
    The First Law has always been there, I just happen to discover it.

Yes, of course. Thanks for the reply (in full).

Next question has to do with the actual history of carrying (hand)guns in Texas. Yes, I'm being lazy and should be looking it up on my own, so if you are busy and/or choose not to respond, I understand.

As backdrop, I remember about twenty years ago reading the account of Dr. Suzanna Gratia Hupp witnessing both her parents murdered at Luby's Cafeteria, Killeen, TX in (IIRC) 1991. Then how she went on to lobby successfully for a concealed carry licensing/permitting law (for handguns) which, apparently, they didn't have at that time. What struck me as odd was that I'd been looking up some of the state carry laws for handguns/pistols/sidearms and noticed that it was illegal in Texas to carry that type of arm openly (not considering residential, on one's property, or vehicular transport). Without any additional information or clarification, that told me that for an indefinite number of years (maybe decades?) citizens in the supposedly gun owners paradise (or wild wild west, depending on how one imagined it) of Tejas had been forbidden by statute from carrying their own sidearms -- openly or concealed -- on or about their person while off their own property.

Can you confirm or clarify this? Or did you already answer it in your first post upthread?

ETA: The actual question was: for how many years (prior to the mid-'90s, when their current "concealed carry law" for handguns/pistols/sidearms was signed into law), were the citizens of Texas prohibited by statute from bearing those arms, on or about their person, while out and about off their own property?

Last edited:
    Top Bottom