• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • warhawk77

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 7, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    I sure most of you know IN has made it illegal to text and drive. I support this as some real stupid people out there that are going to kill people while driving.

But I noticed police can type of there laptops while driving down the road. How is this safer then a text? Not sure if they all do it but here in Fort Wayne I have seen two diff officers doing just that.

I want to say, The police are risking their lives to keep us safe and thank you all. So I am not trying to bash police with this tread just don't see how this doesn't fall under the same law.

Am I the only one that has seen this?

Shay

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Indy
    Well, on one you are using your thumbs and on the other you are using your fingers to type, so I hope you see how they are totally different.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    SOURCE: IC 9-13-2-177.3; (11)HE1129.1.1. --> SECTION 1. IC 9-13-2-177.3, AS ADDED BY P.L.101-2009, SECTION 2, IS AMENDED TO READ AS FOLLOWS [EFFECTIVE JULY 1, 2011]: Sec. 177.3. (a) "Telecommunications device", for purposes of IC 9-21-8 and IC 9-24-11-3.3, has the meaning set forth in IC 9-24-11-0.5. means an electronic or digital telecommunications device. The term includes a:
    (1) wireless telephone;
    (2) personal digital assistant;
    (3) pager; or
    (4) text messaging device.

Laptops don't meet the definition of "telecommunications device".

Westside

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Monitor World
    The Law only covers texting while driving. So you can talk, surf the web, ingo, facebook, play angry birds, anything but text. So the law you are mentioning is really pointless even the police said so when mitch signed it.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 21, 2011
    Im on the fence about texting and driving:

Studies have shown places that places that have made it illegal have higher rates of accidents BECAUSE of people texting while driving. The reason behind this is, while texting people will hold the phone lower so others cant see them texting, and doing this takes their eyes even further off the road.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2011
    The Law only covers texting while driving. So you can talk, surf the web, ingo, facebook, play angry birds, anything but text. So the law you are mentioning is really pointless even the police said so when mitch signed it.

Yep. Even if you were texting, all you would have to do is quickly erase your texting history for the past couple of hours, and fire up INGO. No ticket for you!

Er, that is, unless you were swerving about: they can still get you for reckless driving regardless of the cause.

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    Everyone knows this law is just a knee jerk reaction to score brownie points with soccer moms and old guys.

It's 100% unenforcable, and does nothing to improve anything. It's just "feel good" legislation for people who don't like it when other people text when driving.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    FYI, Sunday was a cheat day for me. I was driving in Indy posting on INGO and eating a Double Quarter Pounder with Cheese at the same time.

That takes skill!

grunt soldier

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    hamilton county
    i honestly hope they find a way to enforce it and ticket the **** out of people for doing it. i see it everyday some dumb ass driving down the road in multiple lanes staring down at his/hers f'in phone, not paying attention at all. its ridiculous and extremely unsafe. there is enough distractions in a car as it is.

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    i honestly hope they find a way to enforce it and ticket the **** out of people for doing it. i see it everyday some dumb ass driving down the road in multiple lanes staring down at his/hers f'in phone, not paying attention at all. its ridiculous and extremely unsafe. there is enough distractions in a car as it is.

Staring at your phone does not equal texting.

Maybe they were scrolling through phone numbers, or reading the news on the internet, or numerous other things.

I have a really crazy idea. How about we just make it illegal to swerve between lanes or run into other people. Oh wait, we already do... :rolleyes:

Let the pre-crime legislation continue until you can't take a breath without it being a prelude to something more dangerous.

Long live Liberty, eh comrade?

grunt soldier

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    hamilton county

Maybe they were scrolling through phone numbers, or reading the news on the internet, or numerous other things.

I have a really crazy idea. How about we just make it illegal to swerve between lanes or run into other people. Oh wait, we already do... :rolleyes:

Let the pre-crime legislation continue until you can't take a breath without it being a prelude to something more dangerous.

nevermind not worth it. continue on

edited to add i do completely understand what your getting at though.

Last edited:

hooky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 4, 2011
    Central Indiana
    FYI, Sunday was a cheat day for me. I was driving in Indy posting on INGO and eating a Double Quarter Pounder with Cheese at the same time.

That takes skill!

Unless you're driving a stick shift, I'm only mildly impressed. :D

I was actually wondering about the enforcability (is that a word?) last night on the drive home. It was dark, my phone lit me up in the car as I texted my ETA to my wife. I used the voice to text feature, but still had to fiddle with it to pull up the message screen and send it. How do they prove I didn't use voice to text and instead typed it?

$mooth

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 27, 2010
    Texas

Whoa! What a concept! Same goes for talking on the phone vs talking to the guy next to you vs changing CDs or temperature. It's all a distraction. Hell driving should be banned.

warhawk77

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 7, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    Maybe we could do go old school. Many years ago if a woman had a sex out of marriage she had to wear large A on her clothing. I might be wrong on the reason but guessing we all heard about the scarlet letter.

How about if people do stupid stuff they have to wear a large S. And maybe after you do something real stupid 4 or 5 times we have them "fixed" :D

schafe

Master
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Monroe Co.
    Oh wow! that guy just went off the road for no reason. There was plenty of room. I was only taking half of his lane.....damn grouchy old man is cursing now! What's up with him?...I'm going to text the ol' lady about him.

Top Bottom