• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Garrett72

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 26, 2011
    Granger, In
    I am a manager for TGI Fridays in Mishawaka and can tell you that there is no corporate policy against OC. I am not allowed to carry at work but our guests may do as they please. I would venture to say that the manager had no clue of company policy and was acting alone, or incorrectly informed by another uninformed employee. I can guarantee there would be no issue in my restaurant.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    I am a manager for TGI Fridays in Mishawaka and can tell you that there is no corporate policy against OC. I am not allowed to carry at work but our guests may do as they please. I would venture to say that the manager had no clue of company policy and was acting alone, or incorrectly informed by another uninformed employee. I can guarantee there would be no issue in my restaurant.
    I have a feeling that this might be the case because of the way he stated that he really did'nt want them to leave. He just wanted her to put the gun in their vehicle.

I don't know what he was thinking but I honestly believe he thought they would just say okay and comply with his request then stay.

I know the OP would've liked to of had an opportunity to have a discussion with the manager to establish if this was corporate policy or not.

Garrett72

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 26, 2011
    Granger, In
    The1kidd03.. If I were you I would give the Avon store a call and ask to speak to the GM on the issue. I am pretty sure that the GM there is A guy I used to work with years ago and I can't believe that he would have a store policy against OC, probably just a uninformed manager working for him.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    I still am not sure how to react to these stories. Private businesses set their policy and we can either violate and be OK, or violate and be asked to leave if it is anti-gun. This manager at least was nice about it. Perhaps our goal is simply to change policy for private businesses but let's not get upset that certain businesses choose to have policies in opposition to our beliefs.

handgun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 1, 2012
    Central part of This state
    I still am not sure how to react to these stories. Private businesses set their policy and we can either violate and be OK, or violate and be asked to leave if it is anti-gun. This manager at least was nice about it. Perhaps our goal is simply to change policy for private businesses but let's not get upset that certain businesses choose to have policies in opposition to our beliefs.

I guess it would be nice if companies who had such policies Actually posted them. I can understand where some business have a no gun sign on the door. Which doesn't mean a whole lot. But, I tend to open carry a lot. Other than the mall No one has ever asked me to leave anywhere.

While some places such as a bar, one i am in now. I am carrying at one right now. However i am CC. Its kind of a no brains needed approach. If there is a No weapons sign, I keep my business in my pants.

While it is company policies, It is also our right not to do business at said establishments. But i kinda feel you on that
    The bank, Even though they have a sign. I disregard, especially if i am making a large deposit into a company account, or making a large withdraw. They once said something. I told the manager who said something once, "that is fine, I will be more than happy to move the business accounts and personal accounts else where, if this is going to be a problem for you. As i don't see any security that is going to walk me from my car to inside the bank and back to my car." Needless to say the manager said, "We don't want that. I just wanted to let you know our new policy." I then told her, "that is not going to stop anyone who wishes to commit a crime; such as rob your bank. So what are we going to do about this? " needless to say it was left at that and the manager has never said anything about me open carrying again.. I guess the manager just pretends its not there.. And yes i still open carry there.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    I had an officer tell me yesterday he would draw on a person OCing in a bank. "The only reason anyone brings a gun into a bank is to rob it." I was taken aback and told him he was quite wrong. I had yet to rob a bank and brought my gun in numberous times. He thought it was illegal, after being told no, he then said it should be. Also told me it was illegal to carry at a polling station or firehouse. Heh.

Excalibur

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   2   0
    May 11, 2012
    NWI
    It seems like all the issues with these restaurant or public store problems is people open carry and other people freak out. I said this in another thread, and it is conceal carry. It'll set your mind at ease still because your gun is still there and it'll set uneducated and squimish anti gun people in a false sense of ease.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    It seems like all the issues with these restaurant or public store problems is people open carry and other people freak out. I said this in another thread, and it is conceal carry. It'll set your mind at ease still because your gun is still there and it'll set uneducated and squimish anti gun people in a false sense of ease.

Welcome to INGO Excalibur. You'll soon learn of the OC vs CC debate here. You're not plowing any new ground here. :)

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere

I have a feeling that this might be the case because of the way he stated that he really did'nt want them to leave. He just wanted her to put the gun in their vehicle.

I don't know what he was thinking but I honestly believe he thought they would just say okay and comply with his request then stay.

I know the OP would've liked to of had an opportunity to have a discussion with the manager to establish if this was corporate policy or not.

The1kidd03.. If I were you I would give the Avon store a call and ask to speak to the GM on the issue. I am pretty sure that the GM there is A guy I used to work with years ago and I can't believe that he would have a store policy against OC, probably just a uninformed manager working for him.

I thought all along that it was simply this manager. I don't know if he was the GM or just a shift manager perhaps. Either way, it's bugged me how I let it end and didn't get to educate him at all. I've been thinking about either going back or calling. I think calling would probably be more appropriate to refrain from causing another issue in front of their customers. If the GM is an intelligent guy like you suggest perhaps I can offer a day to take his "team" to the range and spark their interest.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell

Thanks for stepping up and letting us know. I hate putting folks on my "do not buy" list.

I'm betting the guy was trying to placate another customer that saw the OP's gun and complained. If so, the complainer won this round.

serf

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 25, 2012
    Greenwood
    Tgif in greenwood is on Simon properties (greenwood park mall) definitely not gun friendly. However i did carry into BJs in the mall parking lot and they didnt care but ymmv

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    First of all, I understand the importance of companies' property rights and I totally agree to some extent. BUT, I also believe that it should be illegal to use one's rights to strip others of their's. In this case for businesses, I believe that if a store wishes to ban all firearms from their property then they should be required to provide armed security guards at all times while open to the public. If not open to the public then access control ensuring that only people they are familiar with and know aren't armed be allowed to enter. (ie. metal detectors at doors and security swipe cards for entry) Granted, that wouldn't be feasible for general retail and food chains because they need to be open to the public. In which case again, I think they should be required to provide armed security if they wish to ban firearms since they cannot scan every customer walking in the door. Outside of that, I do NOT feel that their property rights trump public safety and ultimately that is what this is issue about IMO. It's not "my rights are more important than your property rights." It's more " the public's safety is more important than your property rights when you don't provide adequate security."

As far as OC vs CC debate, I find it funny how CC advocates always wish to "bash" the OCers. For one thing, all this does is display a level of "un-organization" and sends mixed signals to anti-gun crowd thus further arming them with stupid arguments. While OCers generally don't care how you choose to carry as long as you carry and that's the way it should be for all licensed carriers. Additionally, the CCers are not doing anything to help protect their rights because they don't spark conversations and educate the public they encounter as frequently and that education is the only thing that's going to stop further infringement on our rights. If they choose not to be a gun advocate that's fine and their choice, but it's certainly NOT grounds for them to questions other's method of carry and further arm the anti's. Also, there is NO proven evidence to support the CCers theory that OCing makes you a target. This theory was largely perpetuated by LEO's because they are targets for criminals who already hate them and they must OC and display themselves in uniform. That is where the notion came from, NOT actual events where citizens who OC'ed were specifically targeted for their gun and no other reason. Either way, in my experience and training the CC'er is going to be at a slight disadvantage if he/she were to be directly attacked because most assaults happen within 10 feet. Not enough time to draw an OC pistol, much less CC. I regularly practice/train in FOF, hand to hand, and weapons deployment with my training partner and I will take the wager of an OCer getting his weapon drawn over a CCer while being attacked ANYDAY.

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    Tgif in greenwood is on Simon properties (greenwood park mall) definitely not gun friendly. However i did carry into BJs in the mall parking lot and they didnt care but ymmv
    The mall is not gun friendly but I think if the restaraunt has a door which you can access without entering the mall, then there in ends the malls' "authority." Because although they lease the space from Simon, that doesn't grant them the authority to hinder their business. Hence, if the restaraunt has no problem with it, the it doesn't matter what the mall says. :twocents:

Disclaimer: I am not an attorney and this is in NO way legal advice. :D

4sarge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    FREEDONIA
    I'm a frequent customer of TGI Fridays and I've never had a problem with CC. Avon is a Corporate location as is every other Marion County and burb location with the exception of the Indy Downtown Marriott Fridays.

http://www.carlson.com/ Corporate Owner

If they are anti gun, then I no longer will frequent their locations but I have no reason to believe so

jve153

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 14, 2011
    bargersville, in
    that sucks about the fridays in avon. my mom and step dad frequent that place quite a bit and i have cc there quite often. the bar staff there is pretty awesome, and have always taken very good care of us. ill have to switch to OC and maybe bring in a copy of corporate policy with me. i think im off on thursday, well see what happens. btw, the applebees in avon has always been bad.
    just for the record of avon restaurants, city barbeque has never said a word about oc in the many times i have been there. you can add that to your map.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    First of all, I understand the importance of companies' property rights and I totally agree to some extent. BUT, I also believe that it should be illegal to use one's rights to strip others of their's.

nO one is stripping anyone of rights. You cannot carry your unlimited rights onto my property and do as you wish or YOU have stripped ME of MY rights. I was doing just fine until you forced me to give up my personal property rights.

We just decide if seeing chicks with 30 pieces of flair is worth voluntarily giving up a right for an hour. No stripping involved here, that's three blocks down the road on the right.

Top Bottom