• Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    So I am finalizing the electrical on my train table. I discovered that whenever my train would approach the turnouts (switches) it would die immediately before and after the turnout if the switch wasnt thrown the right direction. I'm running Kato Unitrack and discovered that my turnouts are power routing, and thanks to the way my track is laid out I need to add 15 more power feeders. Factory built feeders are $6 a pop. :faint:

Luckilly my dad taught me to solder, so I am sitting here making my own out of extra connectors and scrap network cable. :rockwoot:

GLOCKMAN23C

Resident Dumbass II
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Feb 8, 2009
    S.E. Indy
    So I am finalizing the electrical on my train table. I discovered that whenever my train would approach the turnouts (switches) it would die immediately before and after the turnout if the switch wasnt thrown the right direction. I'm running Kato Unitrack and discovered that my turnouts are power routing, and thanks to the way my track is laid out I need to add 15 more power feeders. Factory built feeders are $6 a pop. :faint:

Luckilly my dad taught me to solder, so I am sitting here making my own out of extra connectors and scrap network cable. :rockwoot:

Very cool. Got any pics? I haven't messed with model trains since I I was a kid.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    And no, $6 each isnt a lot of money, but my remaining budget is about $5 short per connector right now in discretionary spending... :):

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I have done a bit more on the tunnel, but this is the most recent picture. Its setup with an inner loop acting as a switching/yard area with a roundhouse, and two outer road loops for a frieght line.

IMG_0978.JPG

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    And I just had a revelation! I only need HALF as many feeders. I only need to add them to the switched rail, not the common rail. :rockwoot:

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    And my table would make Red Green proud. My wires on the underside are covered with duct tape!:):

Any time I use a bent nail in place of a cotter pin, I'll think of Red Green.

"Just put a nail in there and bend it over, or if you're made of money, you can use a cotter pin."

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    not a Threadjack at all... I try to take the kids there every year. Havent been this year but hoping to make it some time.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    not a Threadjack at all... I try to take the kids there every year. Havent been this year but hoping to make it some time.

I was fortunate enough to have visited most of the places that they've recreated when I was a kid. They really do a great job of reproducing them in miniature.

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    Glad my dad taught and or allowed me to take stuff apart and put it back together or help me put them back together. Has saved my rear more times then I can count and saved a lot of money.

Classic

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Aug 28, 2011
    Madison County
    I've had a ouple of layouts in the past but now just put a train and a monorail under the tree. Got both up and running last night. Always fun.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Seyboldbryan
    Top Bottom