• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    I've never shot in competition, but I have trained quite a bit with running and gunning on steel plates. One thing I learned long ago is that I absolutely do not like pistols with short "2 finger" grips. Especially the single stacks that use a magazine with a grip sleeve to make a full grip. Mag changes under stress are a pain in the butt, and I much prefer a full grip on my defensive pistol for enhanced control under stress.

I generally EDC a P365, but the stubby stock grip module is in a drawer somewhere and will never see carry duty. I've got the XL grip module on both of my P365s for a full grip. Not that mag changes are terribly common in civilian defensive encounters, but it doesn't hurt to optimize where you can.

downrange72

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 3, 2009
    SW Indy/Camby/West Newton
    Not sure how much I can agree with that instructor. It always makes me scratch my head when people use a fancy gun that's very different from their EDC, as well as a competition style holster, mag holders and belt that are different from what they normally use. I would think that if you're constantly practicing with your "race gear", that's what you'll be used to, not your EDC equipment. I'm sure a lot of the skills transfer over, but certainly not all. I agree with BT that using your EDC equipment is a good idea at least some of the time when you're doing shooting sport matches. Might just be me, but it seems like common sense... :dunno:

I'm with you here. I have my carry guns and competition guns. Every defensive pistol class I go to, I run my carry gun(s).

If i shoot a carry gun match at Parabellum or when coach had them at Riley, i use my carry gun.

Practice, both (carry and competition) get about the same amount of rounds down range

Uspsa, carry guns get a break most of the time :)

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I'm with you here. I have my carry guns and competition guns. Every defensive pistol class I go to, I run my carry gun(s).

If i shoot a carry gun match at Parabellum or when coach had them at Riley, i use my carry gun.

Practice, both (carry and competition) get about the same amount of rounds down range

Uspsa, carry guns get a break most of the time :)

I took a class this spring and the instructor (who doesn't game/compete as far as I know) shoots 1 for 1 of his full size pistol and his compact so that no matter which one he is carrying, he has the same familiarity with both.

Something I am working on doing.

downrange72

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 3, 2009
    SW Indy/Camby/West Newton
    I took a class this spring and the instructor (who doesn't game/compete as far as I know) shoots 1 for 1 of his full size pistol and his compact so that no matter which one he is carrying, he has the same familiarity with both.

Something I am working on doing.

Yep. I try to shoot my 4.25 and 3.6 MP regularly

At times, I shoot one better than the other.

My 4.25 was having extraction issues but I think that has been remedied with upgraded extractor (actually both got the upgrade)

dereedy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 11, 2013
    This is a good post. Thanks. I've been away from regular shooting for most of the last 12 years or so (mostly serving places where I didn't have much access to a personal weapon). I need to get reconnected to skills and practice with my new everyday carry pistol to get the kind of experience you describe.

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    Not sure how much I can agree with that instructor. It always makes me scratch my head when people use a fancy gun that's very different from their EDC, as well as a competition style holster, mag holders and belt that are different from what they normally use. I would think that if you're constantly practicing with your "race gear", that's what you'll be used to, not your EDC equipment. I'm sure a lot of the skills transfer over, but certainly not all. I agree with BT that using your EDC equipment is a good idea at least some of the time when you're doing shooting sport matches. Might just be me, but it seems like common sense... :dunno:

Well rounded competitive shooters generally have no real issue making good hits with weapons other than their “race” day gun(s). It’s a lot more issue in their HEAD than it is in practice...if anything. And TRUST me, it is hard to get this through competitors heads as well; e.g.: you can train hard with a match air pistol and it will not cripple your ability with your Springfield.

Frankly, it’s Bull Hockey.

Am I saying it is a good idea to completely change operating systems from carry to race? Well, no. Racing a double stack 1911-style and then strapping on a Beretta 92 for the drive home seems like a bad idea.

I withhold any of my ignorant comments about holsters, belts, mags, mag holders.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    This situation is simplified if you only own one model of pistol. You can shoot, compete with, and carry the same gun. :)

Own. One. Model. Of. Pistol.

I know each of those words individually, but have never seen them arranged in a sentence like that.

:):

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    I haven't done much. But I did listen to Coach at lessons.

Shooting with your everyday carry pistol may not win you matches but it could save your life.

I like to have the same family of pistols.

92F full size, compact was awhile back.

PX4 Sub, com, full size. current.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ljmiddleton3
    Top Bottom