• ...and so much more!
  • churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    That's what I said at your age. Guess what? It's still around and I'm 64.

I am just a few months behind you. How many "Shutdowns" have we survived.

I remember a few that I had no idea had happened during Reagan until someone ask if I was upset that the feds had been shut down.....I said "What, a shut down. When"

Streak

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 3, 2013
    And now the bureaucrats have to go find a real job instead of attacking the productive elements of society.

Don't fall for the bureaucrats' lies, all this actually harms is them.

Multiple researchers who are working on lots of things such as cures for cancer, AIDS, Alzheimers, and what have you are totally stopped. The NIH does lots of care including clinical trials for cutting edge drugs and treatments meant to help cure people of various diseases. These have all be shut down.

NASA has been shut down.

USDA has been shut down.

FDA has been shut down.

These groups provide real assistance and in some cases help make sure the stuff we put into our bodies IS safe (I know the tinfoiler nutcases on this site will disagree and you'll keep to your opinion no matter what anyone will show you so arguing is a waste of my time).

But ontop of all of that the people who rely on these organizations, and others, to make ends meet and pay their bills will be short this month and the longer it goes the worse it will get. You can parade till your heart's content about the "big bad evil guberment" isn't spending money. The problem is that none of those organizations take all that much funding. The military is still spending, the CIA is still spending, the NSA is still spending, Congress is still spending, Obama still gets his paycheck, and all we've done is hit people who don't deserve to be hit and then laugh at them.

By the way, the last couple of shutdowns actually ended up costing the taxpayers money. It was something to the tune of $2 billion in today's dollars...so enjoy that piece of knowledge.
    US research shuts down: NIH stops accepting patients for clinical trials or initiating new studies, 98.5% of NSF scientists stay at home, NASA Mars mission delayed until 2016 : science

Some of you think this will stop Obamacare. Obama and the Dems don't have to do anything. The majority of you are conservatives and vote for conservative people (at least it seems that way to me). It'll be the Independents who matter and the fact of the matter is this:

Obamacare was passed by Congress. Maybe the rule was dirty that allowed it to pass -- this shutdown is using a dirty rule too. It doesn't change that it was passed and that the passing was legal.
    Obamacare was challenged 40 separate times in Congress. It failed every. single. time.
    Obamacare was taken to the Supreme Court. They ruled in its favor.
    Obama ran his 2nd term on the Obamacare platform. He won the election with both popular and electoral votes. People knew he was going to do this. He still became President and your opinion doesn't matter.
    Obamacare was based off of Romneycare which was championed by the Heritage Foundation in the early 90s (that link is to Forbes and contains an interview with Romney himself)

That's where we're at. At best the Republicans can try and play this off as a noble attempt. Seeing as how Obama won the popular vote I sincerely doubt it'll matter.

Personally none of this **** affects me. But I'm not too selfish or narrow-looking to recognize that this isn't a good thing and that it has negative consequences. Shutdowns hurt nothing but Americans and not the children who run the show. So all of you waving your flags and acting like this is a good thing, I challenge you to really think about what is happening. Obamacare won't be repealed. That ship has sailed, landed at port, came home, and was decommissioned a long time ago.

mcolford

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 8, 2010
    I'm happy that the president didnt get his way by throwing his temper tantrum. I do feel for the real live Americans who are affected personally by our governments failure to do their dam jobs and follow the laws and will of the people. Their all dirty but especially those damn dirty democrat rats. If only we could stop the welfare checks just for one month. They'd have riots in the streets in every city in America.

That, my friend, would be the "Zombie Apocalypse... When all of those that are leeches of the system arent spoon fed any longer.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    But...
    how can I drive my car if the government shut down. Doesn't that mean the roads don't work? Gas won't burn in my engine? Traffic lights won't work? My tires won't turn?
    how can I eat? My fork won't work? Meat won't cook? I don't even know how I can type this on the internets thingie?

Human sacrifices, dogs and cats living together.....
    mass hysteria

in all seriousness it is getting to the point where "we" have to endure what "they" are going to do to "us" until it all really does shut down. Gov't is completely dysfunctional but for causing damage to the population.
    OMG!! It's already been happening in my house and I didn't even realize what it meant! :runaway:
    Belle and Kitty.JPG

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne

If by "media" you mean Fox News, then I guess you're right. I would think Fox would have a different tone if it was the Dems who kept throwing up roadblocks and bills with added conditions like this.

Why do I keep envisioning John Candy standing in from of Yosemite and exclaiming to visitors, "Sorry folks, parks closed so Congress can have a pissing contest."

JohnCandyVacation.jpg

Elevin

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 25, 2013
    Martinsville
    Oh my, the government shutdown...shall we expect they push their own elevator buttons, open their own doors, take their own calls...I almost feel I should send them some extra foldin money..geesh..makes for good political talk radio all day. :dunno:

poptab

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2012
    They need to go all the way and shut every branch down.
    Throw away the keys.

Good riddance ...

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Actually....How much do we really need all those dip-****s anymore. We have way more laws than we need. Just enforce them. All they do is spend money we do not have on vote buying Bravo Sierra.

Really....what good are they doing anymore. They no longer represent us that I can see.

Not calling for an overthrow or rebellion just send about 3/4ths of them the hell home. Leave it shut down for a while.

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    Multiple researchers who are working on lots of things such as cures for cancer, AIDS, Alzheimers, and what have you are totally stopped. The NIH does lots of care including clinical trials for cutting edge drugs and treatments meant to help cure people of various diseases. These have all be shut down.

NASA has been shut down.

USDA has been shut down.

FDA has been shut down.

These groups provide real assistance and in some cases help make sure the stuff we put into our bodies IS safe (I know the tinfoiler nutcases on this site will disagree and you'll keep to your opinion no matter what anyone will show you so arguing is a waste of my time).

But ontop of all of that the people who rely on these organizations, and others, to make ends meet and pay their bills will be short this month and the longer it goes the worse it will get. You can parade till your heart's content about the "big bad evil guberment" isn't spending money. The problem is that none of those organizations take all that much funding. The military is still spending, the CIA is still spending, the NSA is still spending, Congress is still spending, Obama still gets his paycheck, and all we've done is hit people who don't deserve to be hit and then laugh at them.

By the way, the last couple of shutdowns actually ended up costing the taxpayers money. It was something to the tune of $2 billion in today's dollars...so enjoy that piece of knowledge.
    US research shuts down: NIH stops accepting patients for clinical trials or initiating new studies, 98.5% of NSF scientists stay at home, NASA Mars mission delayed until 2016 : science

Some of you think this will stop Obamacare. Obama and the Dems don't have to do anything. The majority of you are conservatives and vote for conservative people (at least it seems that way to me). It'll be the Independents who matter and the fact of the matter is this:

Obamacare was passed by Congress. Maybe the rule was dirty that allowed it to pass -- this shutdown is using a dirty rule too. It doesn't change that it was passed and that the passing was legal.
    Obamacare was challenged 40 separate times in Congress. It failed every. single. time.
    Obamacare was taken to the Supreme Court. They ruled in its favor.
    Obama ran his 2nd term on the Obamacare platform. He won the election with both popular and electoral votes. People knew he was going to do this. He still became President and your opinion doesn't matter.
    Obamacare was based off of Romneycare which was championed by the Heritage Foundation in the early 90s (that link is to Forbes and contains an interview with Romney himself)

That's where we're at. At best the Republicans can try and play this off as a noble attempt. Seeing as how Obama won the popular vote I sincerely doubt it'll matter.

Personally none of this **** affects me. But I'm not too selfish or narrow-looking to recognize that this isn't a good thing and that it has negative consequences. Shutdowns hurt nothing but Americans and not the children who run the show. So all of you waving your flags and acting like this is a good thing, I challenge you to really think about what is happening. Obamacare won't be repealed. That ship has sailed, landed at port, came home, and was decommissioned a long time ago.

And hilariously, the stock market managed a net gain with all this life threatening madness. As well as gas prices coming down.

None of that can be afforded currently anyway, and I don't give the slightest ____ what some conservative had to offer as an alternative. The only real alternative was offered by Ben Carson, who was harassed by the IRS and audited shortly after proposing it.

The more time passes, the more the public will learn how much their tax dollars were being wasted on things that have no measurable benefit to their daily lives. Next stop is abolishing the IRS, shutting down all foreign aid, ending the DHS, and putting the terrorist leaders in the white house in the big house.

Oh also, we need to declare an emergency and allocate funds so moochelle can sit on twitter all day!
    UTIuuud.jpg

Lex Concord

Not so well-known member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Morgan County
    This has larger consequences then some bull**** idea of "cost savings". If you really believe that, then you have zero idea of what all of this means. There's another fight brewing and chances are they'll just get an extension until THAT fight next month. We'll shut down again, except this time it'll be over the debt ceiling.

What you'll end up with is the American bonds tanking in classification. America has always paid her debt payments on time. This kind of **** stops some of those payments and can anyone tell me what happens to people when they don't pay their bills? That's right, your credit score starts dropping.

America's credit score now gets to be on the chopping block and if it gets nixed you can bet your sweet asses that the value of the dollar will plummet and if our bonds get rated down it'll be a hard, hard hit to the economy. It'll set us back 5-6 years and possibly dig us in deeper then we were.

I just wonder if folks who enjoy the "endless" credit spigots will remember these horrible possibilities when this "crisis" is over and there's a chance to cut spending, even to the point of stopping the growth of the debt.

:laugh::lmfao::lol2::rofl::hehe::laugh6:

The credit rating is far above where any other organization with such a track record of ever-increasing debt and profligate spending would or should be.

The "full faith and credit of the United States government" is truly only worth the electrons used to display it on your screen, if that.

Can you think of something (something that will actually happen) that WON'T dig us in deeper (debt, economic hole, credit rating, you pick) than we already are? Even if the ceiling is raised and the imminent credit action you fear postponed, how long do you really think the BS can be perpetuated?

afcolt

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Sep 24, 2013
    Madison Co.
    If they admit the 800,000 people furloughed are "non-essential" to government, why bring them back? If the government admits your job isn't essential, that should tell you something. :)

And no, I don't want anyone to suffer financially, but I can sympathize with a man or woman's financial issues while still not regarding their position as vital.

GMtoblat

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 9, 2012
    Crane
    My weekend warrior gig is considered non-essential I found out last night. Atleast I don't have to run a mile and a half on Sunday:rockwoot:

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    As I see it, the government has two legitimate sets of functions: Seeing to the non-infringement of our rights as enumerated and performing those functions specifically listed in Article I, Section 8. Any activity not found listed therein should be stopped immediately and permanently. Problem solved.

wildhair

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Boy old Streak actually thinks the government is curing AIDS and cancer. What a joke. I used to deal with government employees all the time when I worked and I'll tell you most of them didn't care about anything except that 30 year mark. If the place caught on fire they would have went outside and watched it burn. Even the people in charge of these facilities were incompetent. We once billed one of these places $300,000 for accidentally blowing up every machine in a data center. Most of them are just typical bureaucrats that know they can't be fired for their incompetents. All you have to do is go deal with the government sometime and compare it to dealing with private business. If someone out there in an exception and works with the government then you know what i'am talking about.

Mad Macs

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 3, 2011
    Plainfield, IN
    Just curious as to why this is even happening. ACA has passed, there doesn't seem to be anything left to "negotiate" so why did the gov shut down? Seems that they should just get back to work.

Top Bottom